Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Probably just as well. I personally see nothing out of line in your discussions of the trailer on the Forums. Anyone looking at such a rig as a potential purchase with it's condition, title issues and history should be seeking advice. He should expect that you would check around to see what others think about it.

Move on. You'll find your trailer, and when you do you will know it's right. Trust your gut instincts.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas

Just out of curiosity, how did you get connected with this seller? I keep an eye on ebay and the Houston Craigslist and haven't seen this one listed.

Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
Hello again Experts,

Well, the owner of the camper that I was going to purchase saw that I had asked questions on the Forum about this year/style of camper and he withdrew his offer. . .

The seller simply did not want to deal with an informed buyer. Apparently he prefers to deal with ignorant buyers. Consider yourself lucky and move on to a better trailer and a better deal.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I disagree with the assessment the seller is being difficult. There is nothing more frustrating than the steady flow of looky-loos that want to kick the tires of whatever you are selling, but have no intention of buying it. This gets exponentially more frustrating when you are dealing with the internet. I too have got to the point where I've said - screw it - if someone is interested they can come and talk to me in person.

Your first message was August 3rd... and on the 16th you said you had 'given it up' because of the insurance issue. Then on the 23rd the deal came back to life. You posted all of this right here... which is completely fine... but generally the specifics of offers and counter offers aren't posted publicly when the money hasn't changed hands.

It's been nearly a month... did you even give this guy a deposit? If not, I completely sympathize with him when he says 'Just forget it'. Maybe it wasn't a great trailer/deal, maybe it was... but he dropped his price AND said he'd deliver it - which you admitted was a big value to you. Instead of dropping the hammer, you came here to hum and haw some more... disclosing his offer to boot.

When I bought my Airstream, it went like this:
"Hi, you have an Airstream that I want. The closest dealer is YYY Airstream, they have my Visa number and authorization to inspect and report any problems - we can talk about any issues if they come up"

The dealer found a faucet that needed to replaced, a missing water-door key, and a broken landing jack...

"Hi, I'm prepared to offer you $xxx for the trailer, minus the repairs estimated - do you want me to pay for them and deduct it from my offer, or do you want to pay the repairs?"

They paid for the repairs...

"Hi, I've wired $5000 to the account you've specified, YYY is willing to act as escrow for free as they like you and you did spend some money there getting it fixed. My guy will be there within the week, I'll pay any storage fees, and before it leaves the lot you'll have the balance of the money."

Now... I did lots of research here as well... but, I didn't get into where the lived, whether they used it as a home, how much I offered, how much they countered, or anything to jeopardize MY deal I was trying to make, or the potential of ANOTHER deal being made if I bailed. That's just good etiquette, esp for bigger ticket items.

My Airstream now sits 3 feet out my office window. It had over 1500 views on AS Classifieds in 2 days... Can you imagine the joy of sorting through all the emails/messages of people that would never, ever close a deal on it?

If/when I ever sell it... I'll be grumpy too... for the same reason I never 'test drive' a vehicle I am not ready to purchase that day (maybe not actually buying it, but ready and able to).

Define what it is you want, the price you want to pay, the 'issues' you are prepared to deal with - and when all those things come together - BUY IT.

This very well could have been a crappy deal... or it could have been a great deal... That's why they actually have to press a button on "Deal or No Deal"... because you don't know until you hit the button.

... end of rant ...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I don't think this trailer qualifies as an ordinary sale, and therefore justifies extra-ordinary caution and consideration. This trailer is so stuffed with "baggage," so to speak, that it would be tough to get inside out of the hail.
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
You are better off then not to buy. You didn't give us his name and there is nothing wrong with asking the forum for advice. I did, even while at the dealer. You will find what you want. What is it you want?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I'm looking for a 2006-2008 25' Safari SE LS FB Queen with Panoramic windows on both ends. Mainly, the double kitchen sink and two pano's with the queen. I really like the white countertops vs. the dark ones. A bonus would be 3 awnings instead of one, solar panels and a hensley hitch. Must have a clear title!

If anyone knows of one or wants to sell one, please PM me!

Liz, Brian and 3 Yorkies

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote