Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
The problem with a lot of the suggestions, is dent removal guys need access to the back side. They can reach into fenders and doors. In addition aluminum is not steel. It has different flexibility.
That's correct, but I'd rather have a hole inside and the dent gone. Looking at the OP's picture, if he has a twin, I'd think a tech could make a round hole under the bed, massage the metal, then cap the hole under the bed.
If it's a rear queen, the dent is under the "night stand" where a hole saw and cover wouldn't ever be seen.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Let a pro handle it..
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That's correct, but I'd rather have a hole inside and the dent gone. Looking at the OP's picture, if he has a twin, I'd think a tech could make a round hole under the bed, massage the metal, then cap the hole under the bed.
If it's a rear queen, the dent is under the "night stand" where a hole saw and cover wouldn't ever be seen.

A dent guy only works from one side. On a car/truck he can be outside and see and feel what’s he’s doing. It’s very much touch thing.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Just another update from me, the OP: a PDR tech who is familiar with working on Airstreams is scheduled to come to my house to work on it the first weekend in March. I'm eager to see what he'll be able to accomplish.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
They actually don’t need access.They use a hot glue and puck to pull the dent then a release agent is sprayed on the glue.A crease like this on a curved surface of aluminum is tough and only the best painless dent man could come close to removing this.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , ca
Most dent guys dont have a lot of experience on aluminum. Steel and aluminum work very differently when dealing with dents. I would find a dent repair guy that works with Land Rovers. The body on them is aluminum. Call your local Rover dealer service department and get the number for whoever they use. When i was at the dealership we had an awesome dent guy. As for the crease you will always see it but a lot of that can be taken out.
TV 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
P3 controller, Hayes Sway Master.
Special-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote