Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Larger Interior Rivets?

I have stripped wall paper from the interior of my 77' Sovereign. The interior is now entirely bare aluminum...except for the end caps. I am very happy with the look. Today I started replacing a few of the interior panels that were taken down to work on the wiring. In a few places I used 5/32" rivets in lieu of the standard 1/8". I like the look of the larger 5/32" rivets much better than the 1/8"...they cover some of the blemished holes better olso. So I am thinking about replacing all of the rivets on the ribs with the 5/32 size. Does anyone see any concerns with making this change? I welcome your input and help!!
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
West Richland , Washington
I think it would look okay. Obviously there is a benefit with the slightly larger rivet to mask some blemishes.

I'm currently removing interior panels on my unit and was wondering if when the panels are replaced, do you try to place the panel in exactly the same location and reinstall rivets in all of the existing holes? It seems there are some rivets at sporadic locations that wouldn't require a replacment rivet. How do you fill that hole?
JIMandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMandPJ View Post
I think it would look okay. Obviously there is a benefit with the slightly larger rivet to mask some blemishes.

I'm currently removing interior panels on my unit and was wondering if when the panels are replaced, do you try to place the panel in exactly the same location and reinstall rivets in all of the existing holes? It seems there are some rivets at sporadic locations that wouldn't require a replacment rivet. How do you fill that hole?
Hi JIMandPJ;
Unfortunately there is no known to me way to successfully repair a hole in aluminum sheeting in any other way than welding it up. This would necessitate removal of the panel placing each hole flat and tight against preheated thick Stainless Steel plate and weld it shut. Aluminum weld will not stick to SS. Then you would need to grind the repaired area flat. It is a job for a pro welder as the thin aluminum is very difficult to weld. 5/32" rivets is the way to go. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I think most folks resign themselves to simply filling the random holes with rivets. If I were to replace some panels I would certainly only drill this rivets that were structurally essential to the build. In the back of my AS I have numerous holes where the old twin beds were attached to the walls. I plan to put in a full size mattress and therefore many of those holes will no longer be needed. I have just put a rivet in each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMandPJ View Post

MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote