Old 01-16-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by dwightdi
"If you want the air in the Airstream to be warm and dry, tow it to Southern Arizona".
Works for me

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Folks, Most of the condensation will come from combustion of propane/butane/nat gases to produce CO2 and Water, and from breathing. Yes, you add a great deal of H2O into the air.

Why not get an inexpensive dehumidifier and run drain through floor?

PhilMateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Air circulation is the key - when talking winter (cold) condensing. Anyone who lives North during the winter can tell you if they have good or poor air/heat circulation by the amount of water/condensation on their windows.

We bought a timber frame home that had only wood stove heat. When we looked at it the huge windows were soping wet. Our first purchase was a forced air furnace - with the circulated heat the windows are now dry.

Another observation - wood - we try to keep our relative humidity around 40 if not then everyone get itchy dry skin. When it gets really cold our "humidifier" has to work overtime to fill the air with moisture - why? because all our wood timbers are sucking up all the moisture.

So for those units in storage or cold winter camping - open up all the cupboards to expose the wood undersides they will soak it up. For those who do not have wood - line your closets with cedar, Or place chunks of porus wood around the trailer. Along ewe and dwightdi' ideas for circulating air and heavy duty summer humidity (use of a dehumidifier) should do the trick.

You only need a slight difference in temperature to stick to the walls in winter - or create ice crystals with your breath. Try overnighting when it is -21C outside -17C inside with two big dogs and two humans in one small GT Bedroom - talk about moisture and almost freeze to death. Now we have a buddy heater for this trip and a 12 volt fan.
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #18
Silver Hilton
1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Phil -

Bingo!! I think the dehumidifier makes a lot of sense for me. I'll start looking. No solution will completely eliminate the mositure for me - I'm in maximal condensation conditions on these trips - but I bet I could dry out significantly with a dehumidifier.

Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Restoration drawings for insulation

Wow, thanks for the great response and input. I have finaly completed the drawing for my idas on how to finalize the inner wall insulation on my Bambi. The drawings and comments are on my thread Floor Replacement 63 Bambi. Please take a look and ad comments and or your ideas.
Thanks Don

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote