Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
beavercreek , Oregon
I need to find some beltline.

Ok here it goes my first thread. I am working on repairing a pretty good size dent in the tail curbside corner of my 1970 sovereign, I have been able to find almost all of the parts I need. The only part I have not found is a replacement rub rail. Notice it is the belt line that does not use the plastic insert. And that is one of the questions I have, is it rub rail or beltline. But the most important is where I can get it. I have added some photos. Any leads would great.
thanks
Wilson
wilsontami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Welcome to the forums!

Everyone here is very helpful. It's a great friendly community. You'll find a lot of good info in the threads. So look around and make yourself at home. Remember; no question is a dumb question. We all understand your situation. Also because as they say "misery loves company" we love to see lots of photos of your project. You can start a dedicated thread regarding your work, or start a blog chronicling your trials and tribulations.

I think it's beltline because it doesn't have the insert. The insert is referred to as "rubrail insert". I hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone else will post a definitive answer. I don't know if you can still get it. You should try calling airstream directly. They may be able to direct you to a dealer that still might have old stock. Or your other option would be a donor trailer. You'd have to check with RV salvage yards like Colaws. I'm told they have a large amount of salvage airstreams.

COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | WE HAVE YOUR PART! (Carthage, MO)

Arizona R.V. Salvage Inc - Used RV Parts, Refurbished RV Appliances, Generators and Motorhome, Travel Trailer, and 5th Wheel Lot (Phoenix, AZ)

RV Doctor George (near Sacramento, CA)

Good luck!

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Wilson - the trim that runs half way up your trailer is the beltline. The trim at the bottom is the rubrail.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontami View Post
Ok here it goes my first thread. I am working on repairing a pretty good size dent in the tail curbside corner of my 1970 sovereign, I have been able to find almost all of the parts I need. The only part I have not found is a replacement rub rail. Notice it is the belt line that does not use the plastic insert. And that is one of the questions I have, is it rub rail or beltline. But the most important is where I can get it. I have added some photos. Any leads would great.
thanks
Wilson
Belt line and rub rail insert did not start until the 1974 production.

The molding you have has not been available from Airstream for about 30 years.

Although some may disagree with that.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Try Andy thompson at Can-Am RV in London Ontario. I bought both the wide rub rail and narrow belt line from him a few years ago. Seemed to have a stock.
Sarge
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1970 sovereign, belt line, parts, rubrail