Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
B25Guy,

sorry about the dents. got of few of those on my head. you're right up the road from me in Southlake. I store mine in Keller close to I35 and it's covered. I notice a new covered rv storage yard that just opened south of Cabelas as well. shoot me a message if you're not on our camping invite list for the Heart of Texas Camping Unit & I'll pass on camping dates.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
If you live in Texas or Oklahoma you should already know about the next three days.....LARGE HAIL and TORNADOS. If your towing thru the areas you better have a plan as well. By the way, stopping under an overpass is NOT a good plan. You've been warned.
wow ! great weather pic ! Better to avoid OK and TX the next few days eh ?

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Vaughan, was your Excella a "Bismark"? It's about the right age.
As far as replacing the end segments, it's hard to tell without pictures, but most dents don't come out easily on their own because of the compound curvature, the dents stretch the metal just enough that they are never quite "right".
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Bismark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Vaughan, was your Excella a "Bismark"? It's about the right age.
As far as replacing the end segments, it's hard to tell without pictures, but most dents don't come out easily on their own because of the compound curvature, the dents stretch the metal just enough that they are never quite "right".
Hi Terry,

Once again I am going to have to defer to the master. Whatís a Bismark (Bismarck?), and how do I tell?

The dents are pretty serious, though.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #33
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Terry,

Once again I am going to have to defer to the master. Whatís a Bismark (Bismarck?), and how do I tell?

The dents are pretty serious, though.
A "Bismark" refers to an Airstream that was at the rally in Bismark, North Dakota in the early 1980's.There was a horrible hailstorm, and dozens, if not hundreds, of Airstreams had massive hail damage. I've forgotten the exact year, but your '83 may possibly be a "Bismark".
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Oh, I Believe Thatís Correct

Quote:
A "Bismark" refers to an Airstream that was at the rally in Bismark, North Dakota in the early 1980's.There was a horrible hailstorm, and dozens, if not hundreds, of Airstreams had massive hail damage. I've forgotten the exact year, but your '83 may possibly be a "Bismark".
The story as it came to me, third hand at the most recent, did involve the Dakotas. If this were the case, if I can document it, I would probably lessen the value if I replaced the panels due to the historical significance, right? Thanks Terry! Iím off on a new quest to verify this. What a great reason not to spend thousands of dollars.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
escape plan?

Tin Hut,

I'll drop you a PM on the camping invite...never know when we need yet another excuse to take off.

As far as covered storage...the convenience of having ours in the driveway for overflow/guest housing is invaluable. My protection plan has/had been to hook up and take a 90 degree course based on NWS radar and HAM reports...only at 3am in the morning, it's a little tough to stay tuned. This evening is looking pretty nasty so it's hooked up and ready to run!

Honestly now, given the hail last week was meatball size (my 11 year old daughter gets credit for that one) and my damage was far less severe (or maybe just less noticable) than my truck, I'm a lot less "gun shy" and impressed it fared as well as it did. I used to get really nervous when the skies would turn black/green but now, I've got my "beauty marks".
So far the frequency of these events, while unpredictable for sure, aren't yet causing me to rethink covered storage...unless it's in my yard, then of course! Let's see if the insurance company causes me to rethink all this.

My wife, who's claimed credit for wanting an A/S first, isn't remotely troubled by the damage and figures it's part of having/using...I wish I could enjoy her attitude more myself.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy
I realize the A/S is a different animal and cannot be repaired this way but does anybody have any comments/criticism/suggestions about the many paintless dent repair places I've always seen but as of now, never needed?

The dents in my truck are well contained within a quarter coin, if not less, and about 50 of them in total on hood and roof.

Marc
If the person doing the paintless dent repair knows what they are doing, it's a fantastic way to go.

We used to live in Albuquerque and in the fall of 2004 we were blasted with hail one night.

It did $6500 in damage to our Lexus GS and it totaled our Taurus wagon. To replace the Taurus, we bought our F-150 (which in now our TV) The new F-150 also was extensively damaged by hail. The dealership gave is a substantial discount because of the damage AND they repaired it!!! They had a paintless repair firm that set up at the dealership just to handle the damage to the vehicles in their lot during that storm.

They did such a great job on the F-150 that we also took the Lexus there. It looked brand new when they finished.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
The infamous rally in Bismarck was in 1993.I was there and there was lots of damage and flooding.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #38
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
The infamous rally in Bismarck was in 1993.I was there and there was lots of damage and flooding.
Thanks for the correction. They say the memory is the second thing to go, and I forget what the first is...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy

My wife, who's claimed credit for wanting an A/S first, isn't remotely troubled by the damage and figures it's part of having/using...I wish I could enjoy her attitude more myself.

You know the "famous"

When Mama's happy, everyone's happy. And when she's not happy, no one's happy.

Only thing left to do, is "be happy."

Andy
Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Memory Loss

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. They say the memory is the second thing to go, and I forget what the first is...
ďThe first thing to go is not your memory, itís your hairís memory. It forgets to grow out the top of your head and starts growing out your nose.Ē Bill Cosby
Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well it's Wednesday and we had a little hail, but mostly this is what we got in the last two hours. There is a tornado heading for our lake property right now. It's a good thing I can't back a trailer or the Sovereign would be sitting down there now. This is the front yard, back patio, back yard, bubbling french drain system and the rain the last two hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00878.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	57943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00879.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	57944  

Name:	DSC00885.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	57945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00884.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	57946  

Name:	DSC00887.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	57947  
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Are we having fun yet?

1945 local. (7:45 PM) It will be here within 30 minutes.
NWS radar image from Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

If that does not work it is NOAA area code 76272. Airstreams are under cover if that will even help.