Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
I didnt even think of you folks this ?

I sent in my trailer to have a estimate done on skin I sent it to State line Super Store In lebenan Mainework .I know some of you are Airstream mechanics and was wondering what would your gentlemens estimate on my damage here are the video links from youtube:

It really doesnt look good

thanks Mrcrowley

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
For that many damaged panels,I would think they would total it. Maybe Andy will hit on this and give you a ballpark figure.Good luck,Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
that looks pretty bad. what about insurance?
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
No Insurence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post
that looks pretty bad. what about insurance?
Mom's paying if it is reasonable I figure high side 5 grand

I am paying for the inside ..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Figure at the least a thousand dollars a segment, for each segment that is damaged. I counted 6 segments in the two videos.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Wow It brings back memories. We had a Tornado rip threw Kent and it came straight at my house. This was in 1999 I think. It put a 70 ft Pinoak right down the center of my Airstream It looked like a Hotdog in a bunm It was a whole lot worse . They totaled it. I stript what I could and the wrecker came and got her. She was tough and the ribbing held the weight. I got $10000.00 for her. I dont think they will total yours. Not sure though. P& S trailer we have here north of Jackson center right off I 80 they do work like that but it is far for you to go
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
McCrowley,
I'm sorry to see the damage caused by that tree but I'm curious why your homeowners insurance will not cover at least part of the cost?

Good Luck,
63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
I sent in my trailer to have a estimate done on skin I sent it to State line Super Store In lebenan Mainework .I know some of you are Airstream mechanics and was wondering what would your gentlemens estimate on my damage here are the video links from youtube:

thanks Mrcrowley
From our video it is hard to tell. Are only the end caps damaged?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Top is to hole right by the vent ..in rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
From our video it is hard to tell. Are only the end caps damaged?
I dont know if it shows it ..The home owners covered 1000 bucks ..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post

thanks Mrcrowley
There are I believe 6 damaged segments, at a $1000.00 or more, each, round number total $6000.00 for just the segments.

Your Airstream also has damage to the left window sheet.

That sheet replacement runs between $3500.00 and $4000.00.

The trailer appears to have damage to the last main bow. That adds to the bill.

It would appear from your movies that the front and rear headliners are damaged.

I don't believe they are available. If they were available, you can add another ball park, $1000.00 each.

They can be repaired with fiberglass but that will not really reduce the cost.

Now the total is up to $12000.00 (twelve thousand) plus rivets, sealer, and several hundred more dollars for freight.

I don't know about any sales tax for your state, which would be additional costs.

There could be other external as well as internal damages, that the movies did not show.

The sum of $5000.00 for the exterior repair, would at best, be a down payment on the total.

Trees are great to view and for shade.

But they also quickly become horrible, when parts of them break and damage other property.

The homeowners insurance, should cover the loss up to the value of the trailer, immediately prior to the damage, less any deductible.

Sometimes, depending on the homeowners policy, the deductible is waived when the loss was cause by "an act of God." You may find that phrase in your policy.

Additionally, I don't believe that dealer is an Airstream dealer. That being the case, you can look forward to an inflated bill, since they "CANNOT" buy parts from Airstream.

Secondly, considering the extent of damage, not many Airstream dealers, let alone non dealers, are qualified to do that metal repair either, or for that matter, make a reasonably correct estimate.

It looks simple, and it is, "IF" you have an intimate knowledge of the construction methods of an Airstream, plus the mechanical know how, and the proper sheet metal working tools.

If those qualifications are not precisely met, you can then look forward to improper repairs, both in appearance and structurally, along with dozens of water leaks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Ouch! That hurts to even look at it. I am so sorry this has happened and I certainly don't envy the decisions you're going to have to make in the next few days, weeks.

Sunday marked the 1 year anniversary of our "accident" when we totaled our beautiful, new, (owned it 29 days) 2000 30' Classic. In retrospect, I would have done everything possible to have kept my trailer instead of allowing the insurance company to total it. The insurance company was very generous with us and we've enjoyed getting to shop but a year later and we still have not found anything we liked nearly as well as what we had - at the money we had been paid.

Even though you didn't ask for my two cent's worth - and I understand your situation may be completely different - but with the experience we've had with damage to multiple panels, we would repair over ditching and starting over.

I'm hopeful that you and/or your loved one are unhurt?
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
OHNO no one hurt it was parked tree came down on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarq View Post
Ouch! That hurts to even look at it. I am so sorry this has happened and I certainly don't envy the decisions you're going to have to make in the next few days, weeks.

Sunday marked the 1 year anniversary of our "accident" when we totaled our beautiful, new, (owned it 29 days) 2000 30' Classic. In retrospect, I would have done everything possible to have kept my trailer instead of allowing the insurance company to total it. The insurance company was very generous with us and we've enjoyed getting to shop but a year later and we still have not found anything we liked nearly as well as what we had - at the money we had been paid.

Even though you didn't ask for my two cent's worth - and I understand your situation may be completely different - but with the experience we've had with damage to multiple panels, we would repair over ditching and starting over.

I'm hopeful that you and/or your loved one are unhurt?
Right now from the sounds of it Money will decide what we do with it my mom said she paid 5 grand for the trailer so it doesnt look good which is a major bummer to me . We will see should get call today from dealer.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust