Old 07-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
How to seal exterior seams?

Was doing some interior surgery on my trailer, had to remove part of the interior skin in the living room ceiling area, and discovered that the lap seal on the top exterior roof skin has failed with time, it looks like moisture has managed to wick its way in between the panels. I'm seeing corrosion on the inside of the skin, worse on the door side where the big awning is, but it looks like it runs the length of the trailer, at least in the small area I can examine without doing major surgery. I'm really not in a position to gut this thing and fix it properly, so I'm hoping someone has a fix for this that I can do from the outside, something I can lay over the joint and stop the wicking. The rivets seem tight, so I don't think I can inject something into the seam. One thing to keep in mind, I'm really hoping to polish it out in the next year or so, so I'd prefer something that isn't going to end up being a major PITA to undo/redo. Thanks!

Dave

Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
I'd like to see the answers to this question as I am sure that I will be encountering the same issues once I get mine home.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
Was doing some interior surgery on my trailer, had to remove part of the interior skin in the living room ceiling area, and discovered that the lap seal on the top exterior roof skin has failed with time, it looks like moisture has managed to wick its way in between the panels. I'm seeing corrosion on the inside of the skin, worse on the door side where the big awning is, but it looks like it runs the length of the trailer, at least in the small area I can examine without doing major surgery. I'm really not in a position to gut this thing and fix it properly, so I'm hoping someone has a fix for this that I can do from the outside, something I can lay over the joint and stop the wicking. The rivets seem tight, so I don't think I can inject something into the seam. One thing to keep in mind, I'm really hoping to polish it out in the next year or so, so I'd prefer something that isn't going to end up being a major PITA to undo/redo. Thanks!

Dave

Dave, Locate the seam on the exterior of the trailer and clean it thoroughly and use Acryl-R to seal the seam edge. I would say if one seam is wicking water that there are likely more doing the same thing. However, If your plan is to polish it within a short period then you may get away with only sealing the area you are concerned about. Acryl-R is available from multiple vendors such as InlandRV.com, Out-of-Doors Mart.com or VintageTrailerSupply.com. etc. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote