Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
How to replace sheet metal on exterior?

Note the little sheet metal panel on the front side of the step which is rusted through.. I think I can fabricate an aluminum panel to cover it, but 4 or 6 olympic rivets might make it stand out as a makeshift repair. What to do about the sheet metal step pull panel to make it blend in after the trailer is polished? Sand and paint it? With what? Diamond plate would look great but is that feasible? The finger pull is built into the panel.
TY in advance for any suggestions.
BTW, the lower area in front of the step is where I "bubba'd" some Southern Shine polish.

Rog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sep16#03.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	3187  
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Roger, if that is a weld-seam, you can get a wheel grinder and grind it smooth, Then, you could use some (gasp!!) Bondo to fill in the rust hole, sand it smooth, and spray everything with steel wheels colored paint. It is semi-polished aluminum color, and should blend in well enough.
Terry
PS. would you like some cheese to go with that whine?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
TY for your input argosy2o

I was actually thinking of going the bondo route but another Forum member has kindly volunteered to mig weld the hole, a much better solution which I plan to pursue.
I am constantly impressed with the generous nature of fellow Streamers. I am delighted to be part of this Airstrem 'family'.

Rog
Old 10-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was actually thinking of going the bondo route but another Forum member has kindly volunteered to mig weld the hole, a much better solution which I plan to pursue.

Roger, the Bondo thing is a second-best solution, I didn't mention the welder because not many homeowners have access to one, but everybody knows about Bondo...
Happy trailing.
Terry
Old 03-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Went the bondo route

Now that Spring is finally springing, I'm getting back to those things on my 'to do' list, one at a time. The sheet metal panel on the rear side of the step was also starting to rust.
The mig welding offer didn't bloom so I sanded the area, applied 3M body repair tape, bondoed it , primered it and painted with Krylon Aluminum. Repainted the step while I was down there.
Now on to the next project. which I think will be stripping and painting the tongue.
The fun never ends.

Rog
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	saturday photos 019.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	5512  
Old 03-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Nice job Rog

Looks great!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Rog..

What happened to the SS polish job on the front bottom. By the posts it looks like about 18 months later - is that about how long the shine would last if you don't put some type of protector on after the polish.

Just curious as we will be attempting our polish this spring - have read a few long and tedious threads on "opinions". Seen the immediate results, but would like to see long term. I know all climates will be different as well as how each coach is protected from the elements too.

Great job on the foot step. Ours will need a good sanding and re-painting but in excellent condition - no dents and operates perfect - quite a neat little step
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:54 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
GT, I just rubbed some SS on that area as a quick test. I did not strip the clearcoat before nor did I wax it afterward. Both of those things would have to be done for a long term shine. The time between before and after photos was just 6 months, btw. The trailer sat in a field all winter and has not had a spring bath
But thanks for mentioning the step. Gives me an excuse to post the other pic I snapped today.
I'm sure glad the steps were better constructed than the rock guards.

Rog
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	5517  
Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #9

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Guelph , Ontario
replacing rear port side panel

I am attempting to replace the rear port side panel on a 1985 325 motorhome. As I have been drilling out the old rivets I am noticing that there is what seems to be some type of bonding agent or perhaps just crud from over the years but I am finding it very difficult to separate the panel from the surrounding ones. This is my first attempt at this so any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have a pnuematic riveter and I will be using Olympic rivets when I finally get the old panel off. HELP
jonnysg is offline   Reply With Quote