Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
leo , Indiana
How much to reduce value for this dent?

My wife and I are about to (possibly)buy a used 98 Excella 30. One flaw. Oh well otherwise a super clean trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream dent.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	112657  

bikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Whether or not seller's asking price should be reduced for this dent depends on whether or not the seller has factored this dent into the asking price in the first place. If their asking price is based on, and equal to, mint-shape similar trailers - then a reduced offer is reasonable and easily justified to the seller.

If you are serious about this trailer, email the picture you posted to an Airstream dealer for a panel replacement quote/estimate, and research Excella 30's (maybe 1996-2000 models) and see if you can get a sense of prices. I'm not convinced "book values" are accurate, but you may want to look up this model's book value anyway.

Having said all that - if everything else about this trailer is super premium, I might not expect the seller to be willing to take the full repair cost off the price. Supply & demand...

Good luck in your quest to join us in the Airstream addiction!

Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
Had a dent in a similar place, though mine was in the rear lower panel. Estimate, including removing and replacing solar guard and rock guard which this trailer does not have, was $2200. This may give you an idea of the cost to replace the dented panel.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
If ya really want it buy it ,Run it ,you cant see that dent running down the road or when yur sleeping. Mines got a dent too that I did,dont bother me in da least. Id deduct about 12 hundred bucks for that is about what the factory charges for each segment installed,If I remember correctly.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by bikedog View Post
My wife and I are about to (possibly)buy a used 98 Excella 30. One flaw. Oh well otherwise a super clean trailer.
Average costs for segment replacement runs between $1100.00 and $1300.00, depending on which one is being replaced.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
A question if you want to answer:

What is the "asking price"?
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Roger "Mikethefixit" is right on. $1200 per segment. Mine had dents on the roof that the seller didn't realize until he picked up the trailer from storage. Since I was traveling 600 miles for the purchase/pickup, I arranged to have the transaction done at a dealers shop. I paid to have the dealer go thru and test all systems. It was the sellers option to repair any problems or reduce the cost based upon the estimate to repair. He dropped the price $1200 and all was well. I still have the dents and they don't bother me at all. Kinda makes it easier when you make your own first ding because it already has some flaws!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
it is character

My "belle" has a couple of dings on the front corners that bother me. That was until i me a fellow a/ser yesterday. He has a beautiful trailer that has a couple of spots on it. He said "you know in life we get dings and scars they just give you character. That is how i feel about my trailer. Just gives her character." i totally agree. I am going to polish that baby and let her dimples show. That is funny when you polish her they don't show as much.
i got a $5 dent puller at HF and pulled quite a bit of mine out.
good luck
Richard & Marika
31' International
Land Yatch
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
leo , Indiana
Put a deposit down we are almost there!

Pretty clean trailer a few beauty marks and needs a good detail but does not appear to have a lot of wear and tear. The dent is livable and could probably be pulled out a bit.

Thanks for the input, we put a deposit on it and are going to sleep on it. Needs a little work but the price seems fair and they are putting more into my trade than I paid for it. I hate to give up my 2010 trailer but it is no airstream.

Asking $21,000 and sellers are fixing some minor issues.

Thanks for the input very helpful.

bikedog is offline   Reply With Quote