Old 10-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Talking How do you patch Bullet holes?

Hahahahahah Yeah we have one and more than likely two bullet holes in our 59.

THis Coach was Chilli's Dad's He was a avid hunter so it really doesn't surprise me especialy because we figured out Dad shot the room divder and the RV reefer in the same shot. (See photo album for picture)

As most know Chilli and I just put a new floor in our Coach. Well rainning today so I went out to see if we had any leaks while we had the inside gutted. Sure enough it's leaking in the rear. Proably leaking in the front as well but it's slightly nose down so I think the tilt is keeping the water from entering.

SO between rain showers I went out got on a ladder and started looking. Looked sealed at first rib but the seams on the cap looked like the sealer had long since dried out and failed. Took and exacto and cleaned it out. Took some brake cleaner to rince/flush it clean for the Vulkem to get a good bond on. Then took the air hose and blew it out. I was rewarded with a fair amount of water coming out of the insulation when I put the air to it at 80psi. So I know that's where the leak was.

Now there has been an unexplained patch on the keystone on both ends just above the window. Pannel was about 3.5 inches tall just shy of the width of the keystone pannel.

I pulled the 4 screw out figuring I would find a hole was cut in the skin and possibly a leak at that point. Nope I found a bullet hole that had a bunch of bathtub caulk in it so didn't look like it was leaking LOL. Have not pulled the patch yet but looks like entry at rear and I'm betting exit at the front. Found a spot where the fiberglass inner dome was filled in the rear. Haven't found the inner patch up front under the several layers of paint but I suspect it's there.

Just gets better the more I work on it!

The Fix:

Our coach has the 'Airstream" logo below the window. I think I will relocate it above the window to hide the offending hole. Not like it came but seems to be the easiest way to make it look right.
Just put some Olympic rivets in the holes where it was originaly mounted. Fll the bullet hole with Vulkem to seal it.

Here is a picture. Thought some of you might get a good laugh out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa260056.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	3577  

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

One of the most funny things I've seen/read in a while!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
Just gets better the more I work on it!
Cool!!! All I found was a bunch of rotten wood and crud. I guess they didn't have gun safety classes then.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
the score:

dad one

airstream zero!

nice plan for a fix btw!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado

I personally would have left the hole and painted a target around it.
Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia

Slowed the leaking but didn't stop it. Inside window frame is out so I have a gap I can look into and see the back side of the outer window frame where it rivets to the body. I have water in that gap. Looks like the sealant for the rain gutter has failed. The sealant must have also failed where the window attaches to the body. The top edges of the window frame are bent where it follows the curve of the body. Looks like the gap is fairly large so a lot of sealend gooped in there.

So now I need to decide if I try to clean the top edge of the gutter and Vulkem or remove the gutter and reseal the top edge of the window and seal it as well as new sealant on the gutter. Really hate to drill out any more of these bucked rivets but I think I'm justgoing to keep have issue regularly if I don't pull the gutter. Front window has the same problem but with the coach a little nose down it isn't currently leaking. I'm sure it will if it's level.

I need to replace the whole rear window. The frame for the glass is missing and the hinge is also bent. I'm trying to locate and complete assembly. I think I'll try the scrape it out route and see if it seals it till I can find this new window assembly.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote