Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Hole in the SKIN - How to fix

Hello,

I have two holes about one inch apart where the TV antenna was mounted to my 66 caravel. They are about 1/2 inch in diameter. I thought of placing a placard over the two holes that states "REMOVE FOR ANTENNA INSTALLATION" but now just want to plug them. How have others delt with this? Anyone kmow of a good slip in plug for this? I went to the auto parts store today and they had black push in plugs that would stick out (yuck). Skin replacement is not an option right now, remounting the antenna is not desired - thats why I took it off. Just one of many questions.

Mike

Old 01-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The entire thread is good, but...

Check out what Ken did in post #11 of this thread.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Just curious, why don't you want an antenna?

MandolinDave Lettermans Top Ten Hole Disguises List.

# 10 Bubble level
# 9 Rear view mirror to see bad guys
# 8 N.R.A. sticker to scare off bad guys
# 7 Speaker jacks to entertain bad girls
# 6 Flag holder
# 5 American flag sticker
# 4 Really small awning
# 3 Electrical box hole covers
# 2 Antenna
# 1 Rubber grommet.....aluminum rivet
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
The antenna destroys the lines of the trailer. I realize it's retro and all but I like the curved lines of the Caravel. The antenna is in great shape and functioned fine (rotates, folds, gives birds a place to land) but I want the rounded look of the little AS. So I think I will go with the placard and leave it at that. The other thread had some cool (or cruel) ideas - just not for me. I'll keep trying.

The NRA sticker only attracts bad guys. Never advertise, keep them guessing.

Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I think some "Nose Art" from the WW II era liked they put on bombers would work. I have a book-full of it if you are intrested.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I made a repair patch from some spare aluminum. I cut a round patch 4.5 inched in diameter and made the rivit pattern match the rest of the trailer.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike
Old 03-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
scs

1965 20' Globetrotter
new braunfels , Texas
drill hole patch

I have a 1958 flying cloud with lot's of holes from the pre. owner, so it needs patches. First thought was to patch with alclad alum., but what shape,square, round, rectangle, texas star, the list goe's onnnn.I think the best patch will be a tear drop shape, a tear shead for every dumb "a" who used a 1/2" drill on a vintage trailer.............
Old 03-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I Know What You Mean......

I hated to drill 7 holes to place the round patch over a 1/2" or 3/4" hole but there were few viable options. They turned out well and I will post a photo soon. I see them but others just believe their access holes for something inside the trailer.

Mike
Old 06-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Holes Holes Holes Holes

"Holes, Holes, holes holes" >Sounds like the flies around the litter box in Ren & Stimpy...but I regress...many of you may not know about that cartoon.

Regarding the patching of holes. I came on here to look for ways to repair CRACKS to the skin (exterior)...and found many of you have holes to deal with. I like the idea of the tear-drops! COOL. Like, I think it's about time the Airstream starts taking on unique appearances like that (in good taste of course!)

I have a small 3 inch crack over the mid-top of my door --- ON THE EXTERIOR ---. It's been said by several to drill a small hole ("stop drill"---about a 1/8" hole) at the end of the crack to prevent it from 'transmitting' farther...then, fill the hole & the crack (or cover them) with Vulchem or Alcoa (liquid aluminum)..and adhere a VERY thin patch of aluminum over it (to cover)...sealing the edges with another striping of the Vulchem or liquid aluminum---and keep it refreshed each spring.

I really don't see why you have to rivet the thin patch to the skin. Why can't you do as I suggested above (in bold/italics.. It just doesn't appear to me to require the rivets..??? The Alcoa liquid aluminum acts like an adherent holding the two (rig skin & patch) together...and the Vulchem does too---including being flexible. So, why the need for rivets too?

Peace/Love/Joy
....................Cat
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Place a piece of black plastic electrical tape over the holes while you try too figure out what you are going to do. If you can find the tape in gray use that. A patch like that is in its forth year and counting. It doesn't leak no new holes needed and it works a lot better than duct tape.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello clancy boy,

You can go to home depot and they have in the nuts and bolts department in the specialty rack area ,look for the stainless steel round flat metal plugs in the small plastic packages .They come in many sizes from 1/4 up to 1" .They are polished like chrome ,so if your caravel is polished they will blend in perfectly and they are very flat so they do not stick up off the skin .you could paint them a silver that could match also .Now that being said I realize
the aluminum /stainless dissimilar metals issue ,I think it will work great ,and you can pop them out from time to time to see if there are any corrosion issues.My tradewind has stainless screws that fasten the lower aluminum strips around the front and rear lower sections of the coach and after 2 years
there is no problem ,and I do check it now and then .You also can use some vulkem or other airstream skin sealer before you pop them in to keep the water out.They will be unobtrusive visually because thay will blend in to the skin.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 06-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
The antenna destroys the lines of the trailer. I realize it's retro and all but I like the curved lines of the Caravel. The antenna is in great shape and functioned fine (rotates, folds, gives birds a place to land) but I want the rounded look of the little AS. So I think I will go with the placard and leave it at that. The other thread had some cool (or cruel) ideas - just not for me. I'll keep trying.

The NRA sticker only attracts bad guys. Never advertise, keep them guessing.

Mike
Glad you came up with something you're happy with. What did you ever do with the antenna?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Parts Supply House

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2havefun
Glad you came up with something you're happy with. What did you ever do with the antenna?
I have it stored in the never ending and growing parts supply in my garage attic. As I come across Airstream parts I put them up there for the future rebuild of my second (but not yet found) project. I ahvn't yet figured out if I will ever get rid of some of this stuff. I had rebuilt 66 Mustangs for a while and have sold all them off but I still have parts around for half a car.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Wilke Buttons

Those flat metal buttons at Home Depot ar mostly referred to as Wilke Buttons. Far better quality and sizes are available.

Funny thing here......I am trying to find an excellent condition antenna and mechanism for my 66. Batwings are bogus ...