Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I have an 03 19 foot Bambi and it got hail damage on one side and just like was said the piece in the center has almost completely repaired itself. The rounded end caps however look awful and now I know there is nothing I can do but replace them.
HeikeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeikeET View Post
I have an 03 19 foot Bambi and it got hail damage on one side and just like was said the piece in the center has almost completely repaired itself. The rounded end caps however look awful and now I know there is nothing I can do but replace them.
The side and roof sheet hail damage, will slowly disappear, especially when the sun shines on them.

The end segments are a softer metal and most of those dents will never disappear.

Your insurance company should replace all the end shell segments that are hail damaged, or give you a very good loss of value settlement.

I have personally taken care of over 1000 hail damage cliams to Airstreams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My 2003 Safari suffered serious hail damage in Denver several years ago. As expected the flat panels are okay, but the end caps look pretty bad. I have a friend who used to repair aircraft skins and has the tools and talent to help me DIY. Do I need to order the skins directly from Airstream? Through a dealer? One shop said they also sell the end cap as an assembly, is this a good idea, or is it very difficult to get it in place?

Also, my trailer developed some corrosion soon after purchase new. The factory replaced (or partially overlaid?) some of the skins that now must be replaced. They used Olympic rivets. Is there anything special about drilling out Olympics?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
My 2003 Safari suffered serious hail damage in Denver several years ago. As expected the flat panels are okay, but the end caps look pretty bad. I have a friend who used to repair aircraft skins and has the tools and talent to help me DIY. Do I need to order the skins directly from Airstream? Through a dealer? One shop said they also sell the end cap as an assembly, is this a good idea, or is it very difficult to get it in place?

Also, my trailer developed some corrosion soon after purchase new. The factory replaced (or partially overlaid?) some of the skins that now must be replaced. They used Olympic rivets. Is there anything special about drilling out Olympics?
Olympics are drilled with a # 21 drill bit.

You cannot order those segments from Airstream, unless your in Jackson Center.

You can purchase a complete front or rear end shell if you wish, or you can simply order the individual segments.

You can use any dealer you want, but make sure they have been around for a while and completely understand the task your going to encounter.

There are a couple of on line dealers that offer good prices for sheet metal as well as segments.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Has anyone investigated the "paintless" dent removal folks? I had over 2,000 hail dents in my new pickup a few years ago and the paintless bunch made it look just like new in 10 hours, got every dent popped out except for 2 that were right on the edge of the wheel well. they use a long lever and roller system with a little heat.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Has anyone investigated the "paintless" dent removal folks? I had over 2,000 hail dents in my new pickup a few years ago and the paintless bunch made it look just like new in 10 hours, got every dent popped out except for 2 that were right on the edge of the wheel well. they use a long lever and roller system with a little heat.
Paintless dent repair generally does not work on aluminum - unfortunately.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Paintless repair usually requires access to the inside. On cars they do it using a variety of tools to reach the inside of the dent and work it out carefully. Some say the have had limited success using a suction cup device on a bigger dent. Now, as mentioned above, perhaps none of these techniques will work on aluminum. I've only seen it done on cars with steel panels.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
The onlu online ordering I have found for Airstream end cap skins is Out-of-Doors Mart MORE Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!!! And we accept PayPal. Are they showing list prices? Are parts discounted anywhere? It looks like replacement segments, front and rear, will cost over $6,000.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
I'm using this older post to ask my question because the search function isn't that user friendly. I was in the dreaded hail storm last nite and received a number of dings and two larger dents on the end caps of the Airstream. Do you recommend filing a claim? If I file a claim is it more for the "diminished future value" and I just leave the dings alone? The Airstream is a 2014.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would file a claim otherwise you will get nothing for the damage. The end cap dents won't come out but they might be able to be minimized. Most dents on the flat sections will fade in time. You might be able to get an estimate of the repair costs from Jackson Center and go from there. They would need photos.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post

They can work on aluminum and from the outside. They use hot glue to place a small puller tab in the middle of the dent. Then a puller to bring the dent back out. Alcohol removes the hot glue. But, the charge is per dent, hail damage is going to add up to a lot of work. How bad is it. Have you tried sitting the trailer in hot sun? You might do the worse of the end caps and wait to see if the smaller ones cure themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote