Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
seagoville , Texas
Hail damage help.

Has anyone had any luck with getting small hail dings out of trailer skin, if so what did you use? Will appericate any help. Thanks Paula
paula grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
You have to deal with them very quickly. The longer it is dented the less chance you have on getting them out. In the hot part of the day (trailer in the sun with dents being worked aligned with the sun direction put a piece of dry ice on the dent.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula grant View Post
Has anyone had any luck with getting small hail dings out of trailer skin, if so what did you use? Will appericate any help. Thanks Paula
Paula.

Many years ago, I was the "special representative" for the insurance division of Aistream, that was Called Caravanner Insurance company.

Part of my job was to evaluated the type and degree of damage to an Airstream from hail, and to make a settlement with our insureds.

Long story short, LEAVE THE TRAILER ALONE.

The sides and roof of your 67 were made with tempered stress relieved aluminum, namely 2024T3.

Most all the hail dents in the flat sheets, will disappear in a matter of months, as long as the trailer is exposed to the sun. The segments, thats the compound curved pieces of metal, that your trailer has 5 of them on the front and back, are made with a softer aluminum, therefore those dents will most likely remain forever.

You cannot heat the metal, nor can you freeze the dents. Just leave them alone, but take some close up photos of some of the damage. After a few months of sun shine on the trailer, when you check out those areas, you will see that many of the dents are GONE."

Some say hogwash, and some that know me from years ago, will vouch that the dents will disappear.

Incidentally, I settled over 1000 (one thousand) hail loss claims for Caravanners, in just 4 years.

Replace those parts that may be broken or damaged, but again, "leave the shell alone".

You will witness "MAGIC" from our sun on your Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I found my 71 it had been sitting in a field for many years. It came with hail texture so I don't worry too much. I do not have a shelter for it though and do worry about those baseballs we hear about more often. Global warming?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
When I found my 71 it had been sitting in a field for many years. It came with hail texture so I don't worry too much. I do not have a shelter for it though and do worry about those baseballs we hear about more often. Global warming?
Global warming, it's for real.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Thumbs up Too True!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Most all the hail dents in the flat sheets, will disappear in a matter of months, as long as the trailer is exposed to the sun. The segments, thats the compound curved pieces of metal, that your trailer has 5 of them on the front and back, are made with a softer aluminum, therefore those dents will most likely remain forever.
I just experienced your comment first hand. We were stuck in a storm West of Fort Worth and my wife's Honda received $3,500 worth of damages, my vintage truck didn't receive a single dent (made of real metal), but our Airstream got pounded. Immediately after the storm there were probably more than 3,000 dents on the roof and 50 on the back side curves and near the back window from when the wind shifted and the hail went sideways.

Just after the storm, three catastrophic insurance teams parked next to us in the rv park we are staying at to work claims on houses caused by the hail.

A Sportsman travel trailer and two ex-FEMA trailers also got pounded and they lost their rear windows when the wind shifted. They received major dents on the rear side and the roof areas. Those three trailers look the same now as they did the day after the storm. Their aluminum did not fix itself (cheaper, thinner materials??)

Our Airstream has repaired itself to a point that I would not believe if I didn't see it with my own eyes. I can only see 4 dents in the roof....yes 4. About 10 of the rear corner dents are still viewable, but I'm o.k. with those (gives it character scars from the experience). I am just amaized at the self-reforming of the metal.

You sure know what your talking about Andy and thanks for all of your valuable input in this great forum.

Tharon Neal
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
When did they start using cheaper metal?
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
In 1982 1/2 Airstream switched to a "dull metal" for appearance.

In the 90's, they switched again.

Cheaper metal? NO WAY.

Different appearance, YES.

Andy
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
I didn't mean cheaper Airstream aluminum...I meant the square trailer aluminum was thin on the Sportsman and the ex-FEMA trailers. The dents are still in those trailers.
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
I didn't mean cheaper Airstream aluminum...I meant the square trailer aluminum was thin on the Sportsman and the ex-FEMA trailers. The dents are still in those trailers.
Trailers like that are made with a soft .019 aluminum. They show everything, forever.

Airstreams are made with considerably harder metal and is either .032 or .040 thick, depending on the year.

Airstream uses the aircraft type construction which is called "monocoque".

However since Airstream uses a simple frame, their construction is called "semi-monocoque".

Contrary to some opinions, the Airstream shell, "holds up" the frame. Therefore the frame can be weak.

Box trailers use the frame to hold up the shell. Because of that, their frame must be very strong.

Some owners, that had the "rear end separation" on their Airstream, want to beef up the frame. WRONG.

That additional weight will make the frame separate from the shell even faster, unless many more hold downs are added, to keep the two together.

Andy
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Back in the 1980's, Airstream went to a thicker, softer aluminum that was easier to work with without fatiguing. Because the "new" metal is softer, it is easier to dent.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
seagoville , Texas
Thanks for all the information, I think I will Take Andy advice and just let mother nature fix what she has done and just live with what she can't fix. It's great to live in texas where it might snow tomorrow!!! Thanks Paula
paula grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Snow in Seagoville tomorrow?

Paula, you've just got to stop believing everything Pete Delkus says lol
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula grant View Post
Thanks for all the information, I think I will Take Andy advice and just let mother nature fix what she has done and just live with what she can't fix. It's great to live in texas where it might snow tomorrow!!! Thanks Paula
Paula.

Please report back to the Forums, after this summer is over, and for the benefit of others, let them know much of the dents, disappeared.

Andy
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Paula.

Please report back to the Forums, after this summer is over, and for the benefit of others, let them know much of the dents, disappeared.

Andy
Better still, include "before" and "after" pictures. For those of us who live merely with the threat of earthquakes, the idea of trailering where the hail can do such damage is daunting. Our hail never exceeds 1/4" across. Reassurance of self repair might increase our camping range.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Better still, include "before" and "after" pictures. For those of us who live merely with the threat of earthquakes, the idea of trailering where the hail can do such damage is daunting. Our hail never exceeds 1/4" across. Reassurance of self repair might increase our camping range.
Great suggestion.

Andy
Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Sonoma Valley , California
Question Hail Damage

Hello - I am considering purchasing a 1969 Globetrotter, fully restored and perfect in every way...except for some hail damage. Could you please confirm that the hail damage will disappear? How long should I leave the trailer in the sun and why hasn't it disappeared already? Thanks for your advice! Best, Corinne
corinnedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnedavid View Post
Hello - I am considering purchasing a 1969 Globetrotter, fully restored and perfect in every way...except for some hail damage. Could you please confirm that the hail damage will disappear? How long should I leave the trailer in the sun and why hasn't it disappeared already? Thanks for your advice! Best, Corinne
Most hail damage will disappear in time, on the side and roof sheets.

Hail damage to the segments rarely disappear, because that aluminum is not tempered or stress relieved. It's much softer metal.

Andy
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Excella 500
Kelowna , British Columbia
That would explain why only the front segment of my 31' trailer has hail dents, and the rest of the trailer is fine. I'm guessing a mobile dent repair is my best bet to repair the remaining dents?
Jcashcollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I would love a follow-up from the original poster to see how her Airstream has fared!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote