Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
webspinner's Avatar
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,269
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Paula.

Please report back to the Forums, after this summer is over, and for the benefit of others, let them know much of the dents, disappeared.

Andy
Better still, include "before" and "after" pictures. For those of us who live merely with the threat of earthquakes, the idea of trailering where the hail can do such damage is daunting. Our hail never exceeds 1/4" across. Reassurance of self repair might increase our camping range.
__________________

__________________
Barbie
Our travel and renovation blog: http://tinpickle.blogspot.com/
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Better still, include "before" and "after" pictures. For those of us who live merely with the threat of earthquakes, the idea of trailering where the hail can do such damage is daunting. Our hail never exceeds 1/4" across. Reassurance of self repair might increase our camping range.
Great suggestion.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
1966 22' Safari
Sonoma Valley , California
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Question Hail Damage

Hello - I am considering purchasing a 1969 Globetrotter, fully restored and perfect in every way...except for some hail damage. Could you please confirm that the hail damage will disappear? How long should I leave the trailer in the sun and why hasn't it disappeared already? Thanks for your advice! Best, Corinne
__________________
corinnedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnedavid View Post
Hello - I am considering purchasing a 1969 Globetrotter, fully restored and perfect in every way...except for some hail damage. Could you please confirm that the hail damage will disappear? How long should I leave the trailer in the sun and why hasn't it disappeared already? Thanks for your advice! Best, Corinne
Most hail damage will disappear in time, on the side and roof sheets.

Hail damage to the segments rarely disappear, because that aluminum is not tempered or stress relieved. It's much softer metal.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
Jcashcollect's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Excella 500
Kelowna , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 41
That would explain why only the front segment of my 31' trailer has hail dents, and the rest of the trailer is fine. I'm guessing a mobile dent repair is my best bet to repair the remaining dents?
__________________
Jcashcollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Skatiero's Avatar

 
1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,335
Images: 25
I would love a follow-up from the original poster to see how her Airstream has fared!
__________________
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 33
I have an 03 19 foot Bambi and it got hail damage on one side and just like was said the piece in the center has almost completely repaired itself. The rounded end caps however look awful and now I know there is nothing I can do but replace them.
__________________
HeikeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeikeET View Post
I have an 03 19 foot Bambi and it got hail damage on one side and just like was said the piece in the center has almost completely repaired itself. The rounded end caps however look awful and now I know there is nothing I can do but replace them.
The side and roof sheet hail damage, will slowly disappear, especially when the sun shines on them.

The end segments are a softer metal and most of those dents will never disappear.

Your insurance company should replace all the end shell segments that are hail damaged, or give you a very good loss of value settlement.

I have personally taken care of over 1000 hail damage cliams to Airstreams.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 765
Images: 3
My 2003 Safari suffered serious hail damage in Denver several years ago. As expected the flat panels are okay, but the end caps look pretty bad. I have a friend who used to repair aircraft skins and has the tools and talent to help me DIY. Do I need to order the skins directly from Airstream? Through a dealer? One shop said they also sell the end cap as an assembly, is this a good idea, or is it very difficult to get it in place?

Also, my trailer developed some corrosion soon after purchase new. The factory replaced (or partially overlaid?) some of the skins that now must be replaced. They used Olympic rivets. Is there anything special about drilling out Olympics?
__________________
Dan
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
My 2003 Safari suffered serious hail damage in Denver several years ago. As expected the flat panels are okay, but the end caps look pretty bad. I have a friend who used to repair aircraft skins and has the tools and talent to help me DIY. Do I need to order the skins directly from Airstream? Through a dealer? One shop said they also sell the end cap as an assembly, is this a good idea, or is it very difficult to get it in place?

Also, my trailer developed some corrosion soon after purchase new. The factory replaced (or partially overlaid?) some of the skins that now must be replaced. They used Olympic rivets. Is there anything special about drilling out Olympics?
Olympics are drilled with a # 21 drill bit.

You cannot order those segments from Airstream, unless your in Jackson Center.

You can purchase a complete front or rear end shell if you wish, or you can simply order the individual segments.

You can use any dealer you want, but make sure they have been around for a while and completely understand the task your going to encounter.

There are a couple of on line dealers that offer good prices for sheet metal as well as segments.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
pappy19's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,418
Has anyone investigated the "paintless" dent removal folks? I had over 2,000 hail dents in my new pickup a few years ago and the paintless bunch made it look just like new in 10 hours, got every dent popped out except for 2 that were right on the edge of the wheel well. they use a long lever and roller system with a little heat.
__________________
2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 765
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Has anyone investigated the "paintless" dent removal folks? I had over 2,000 hail dents in my new pickup a few years ago and the paintless bunch made it look just like new in 10 hours, got every dent popped out except for 2 that were right on the edge of the wheel well. they use a long lever and roller system with a little heat.
Paintless dent repair generally does not work on aluminum - unfortunately.
__________________
Dan
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,156
Paintless repair usually requires access to the inside. On cars they do it using a variety of tools to reach the inside of the dent and work it out carefully. Some say the have had limited success using a suction cup device on a bigger dent. Now, as mentioned above, perhaps none of these techniques will work on aluminum. I've only seen it done on cars with steel panels.
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 765
Images: 3
The onlu online ordering I have found for Airstream end cap skins is Out-of-Doors Mart MORE Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!!! And we accept PayPal. Are they showing list prices? Are parts discounted anywhere? It looks like replacement segments, front and rear, will cost over $6,000.
__________________

__________________
Dan
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed on water leak and sub floor damage on 08 Int'l Westfalia Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 9 03-20-2012 06:25 PM
Survived the Hail and Wind Storm! Rv-Voyager On The Road... 4 05-25-2011 12:08 PM
Help, where is the 12V fuse box hidden???, 1992 34 ft. Limited, Tornado Damage frankfarmer General Interior Topics 2 05-09-2011 10:30 AM
Hail Damage to Roof Panels dgilchrist44 Roof 0 03-21-2011 06:16 PM
how do I diagnose frame damage on '59 18-footer cindy Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 0 03-11-2011 02:43 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.