Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Hail damage

I am about to start extensive restoration of my 1963 22' Safari. I recently have read in numerous places that Airstreams are subject to rather severe damage from hail storms. One person typified it as looking like "being attactked by monkeys with ball peen hammers on speed". We plan on doing alot of travel in the northern tier of the country and Canada and don't want to spend many thousands only to have the work ruined. Any thoughts?
mherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My thought is it is a camper not a holly shrine. Fix it up, take it out and use it. That is what it is for. Dont let your airstream get in the way of enjoying life.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Get on out there

Go for it. Get on out there and enjoy. I'd worry more about Springtime hail in the Southwest than up North. The clouds spit cannonballs in Texas in the Springtime. Go camping and HAPPY TRAILS
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Life is full of risks, but I've got to agree with Rodney. I don't want my ability to enjoy life to be sucked away by the "what ifs".

That being said, I do hold my breath every time hail comes through the Tennessee Valley. Yes, I have some small hail dents and I will feel the pain if I get the bigger ones. However, I'll get over it and continue to go anywhere I want to go as long as I have a tow vehicle to get me there.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
At least your trailer is a 63 with all-clad aluminum on it. It holds up much better against hail then the new soft-alluminum coached.

Steve
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
I can easily identify and relate to your feelings. On April 19th, 2006, we experienced hail storm damage also to our 1993 Airstream. I first thought it would be totally destroyed during the approximately 15 to 20 minute hail storm.

One of our vehicles was totalled due to the storm; the Airstream was also left with battle scars.

After searching, trying to find the best approach to handle the damage - I ran across an article about Airstreams damaged by hail. The article stated the dents should be looked upon as marks of distinction and character. At first, it was hard to accept, then on a camping trip, we ran across another Airstream with similar appearance who also had heard the same. Since then I have heard others with similar experience and now after one year - we have thoroughly enjoyed our A/S with character marks of distinction. It hasn't leaked and my wife and I feel we have a real "classic" that we can enjoy and not worry about a slight imperfection.

Just relax and enjoy your Airstream with character marks of distinction.

Curt
tinman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Last summer we took an extended trip from the west coast to the east coast and back. Went up thru the Canadian Rockies and stayed in a campground just west of Calgary. During the night there were several pea sized hail storms which could have, potentially, damaged the roof. But, no damage. What was really fun tho, was listening to the hail hitting the roof vents. Sounded like a thousand snare drummers drumming all at once. Kept us awake quite a bit of the night but was neat.
Don't worry, be happy. Life is too short to worry about perfection.
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My Excella has severe "zits" on its forehead. Apparently, it was towed through a hailstorm. I bought it in January, and paid about $5,500 less than an almost identical trailer without the damage. It doesn’t leak and the interior is excellent. I just look down when I walk past the front. I am considering making it a giant baseball cap.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just collected some $$$ from insurance fro hail damage to my car. The car is 11 years old and has 94k on it. It's boarderline not worth fixing. It's a tough call and can be even tougher mulling the issue with and Airstream. Not cheap and not sure you can get the same type alum. Can you?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I subscribe to the it can only be new so long therory. Fix what needs fixing, upgrade or improve what you like, and go camping. Have fun.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Report just in

13 (Friday the 13th) April. Report just in 2 3/4 inch hail passing thru. NASCAR at Texas motor Speedway got a direct hit. Tornados reported on the ground now moving thru the Cities area. I now know why Zoomin C6 moved to VA.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
When I was still a firefighter/medic we used to make fun (not trust) the guys with the to clean turn out gear. Getting out and doing it results in dings, scratches, and stories. It is the scars that bespeak of hard earned character.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
When I was still a firefighter/medic we used to make fun (not trust) the guys with the to clean turn out gear. Getting out and doing it results in dings, scratches, and stories. It is the scars that bespeak of hard earned character.
Good point. Think I'll really think about getting my ride fixed....
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
AS the others have said...

it's best to relax and enjoy your A/S. Our Ernestine had evidence of hail when we got her. We have had two small storms since and I admit it makes me a bit sad. On the other hand, I am learning to think of the dings as her "dimples." She is flattered when I say that!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
it's best to relax and enjoy your A/S. Our Ernestine had evidence of hail when we got her. We have had two small storms since and I admit it makes me a bit sad. On the other hand, I am learning to think of the dings as her "dimples." She is flattered when I say that!
What a neat avitar you have!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Dimples

We bought a motor home that had been a hail storm years earlier ( possibly a bismark baby)and she has dimples on her front and back curved panels. I think about her as a dimple darling. It hasn't effected the way she travels in the least. Sure I wish she was pristine and polished to a mirror finish. Like Roy and I, she shows her time on this earth and like us she still is always ready to hit the road for another adventure. My hair is white and I have more wrinkles than an unironed cotton shirt. My friends and family still love me anyway. I will love our dimpled darling until we are not able to travel with her.

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
dimples

Hey- with enough dings the trailer should act like a golf ball and be more areodynamic. I'm a little uncomfortable thinking about my slice combined with a 29' missle...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hail Damage

From 1982 1/2 and older, Airstream used "alclad aluminum" that is temered stress relieved.

When hail damage occurs to the side sheet as well as the roof, simply leave it out in the sun. In time, the vast majority of the dents will totally disappear.

The end segments are not the same aluminum material, in spite of the fact that it looks like regular alclad. Therefore, since it's a softer material, hail dents will usually be of a permanent nature.

Caravanner Insurance Company, had in it's files, documentation with photo's showing that in time, most of the dents in the side and roof sheets will disappear.

The number of hail damage files exceeded 1000 (one thousand).

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
From 1982 1/2 and older, Airstream used "alclad aluminum" that is temered stress relieved.

When hail damage occurs to the side sheet as well as the roof, simply leave it out in the sun. In time, the vast majority of the dents will totally disappear.

The end segments are not the same aluminum material, in spite of the fact that it looks like regular alclad. Therefore, since it's a softer material, hail dents will usually be of a permanent nature.

Caravanner Insurance Company, had in it's files, documentation with photo's showing that in time, most of the dents in the side and roof sheets will disappear.

The number of hail damage files exceeded 1000 (one thousand).

Andy
This is the easiest repair suggestion I have ever received on the forums. I am pretty sure I have the skill to leave my Airstream in the sun if damage occurs.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherbert
Any thoughts?
Insurance.

The purpose for insurance is so you can get sleep at night knowing if you get hail damage (or any other kind of damage) it can be repaired so get some insurance and sleep tonight knowing it can be fixed if you get caught in a hail storm. "Things" can always be fixed.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote