Old 04-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
it's best to relax and enjoy your A/S. Our Ernestine had evidence of hail when we got her. We have had two small storms since and I admit it makes me a bit sad. On the other hand, I am learning to think of the dings as her "dimples." She is flattered when I say that!
What a neat avitar you have!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Dimples

We bought a motor home that had been a hail storm years earlier ( possibly a bismark baby)and she has dimples on her front and back curved panels. I think about her as a dimple darling. It hasn't effected the way she travels in the least. Sure I wish she was pristine and polished to a mirror finish. Like Roy and I, she shows her time on this earth and like us she still is always ready to hit the road for another adventure. My hair is white and I have more wrinkles than an unironed cotton shirt. My friends and family still love me anyway. I will love our dimpled darling until we are not able to travel with her.

Kay and Roy

Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #17

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
dimples

Hey- with enough dings the trailer should act like a golf ball and be more areodynamic. I'm a little uncomfortable thinking about my slice combined with a 29' missle...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hail Damage

From 1982 1/2 and older, Airstream used "alclad aluminum" that is temered stress relieved.

When hail damage occurs to the side sheet as well as the roof, simply leave it out in the sun. In time, the vast majority of the dents will totally disappear.

The end segments are not the same aluminum material, in spite of the fact that it looks like regular alclad. Therefore, since it's a softer material, hail dents will usually be of a permanent nature.

Caravanner Insurance Company, had in it's files, documentation with photo's showing that in time, most of the dents in the side and roof sheets will disappear.

The number of hail damage files exceeded 1000 (one thousand).

Andy
Old 04-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
From 1982 1/2 and older, Airstream used "alclad aluminum" that is temered stress relieved.

When hail damage occurs to the side sheet as well as the roof, simply leave it out in the sun. In time, the vast majority of the dents will totally disappear.

The end segments are not the same aluminum material, in spite of the fact that it looks like regular alclad. Therefore, since it's a softer material, hail dents will usually be of a permanent nature.

Caravanner Insurance Company, had in it's files, documentation with photo's showing that in time, most of the dents in the side and roof sheets will disappear.

The number of hail damage files exceeded 1000 (one thousand).

Andy
This is the easiest repair suggestion I have ever received on the forums. I am pretty sure I have the skill to leave my Airstream in the sun if damage occurs.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherbert
Any thoughts?
Insurance.

The purpose for insurance is so you can get sleep at night knowing if you get hail damage (or any other kind of damage) it can be repaired so get some insurance and sleep tonight knowing it can be fixed if you get caught in a hail storm. "Things" can always be fixed.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hail happens, and I've seen SOB's that are totally thrashed by hail. Airplanes, tanker trucks, cars on lots, you name it. Beauty marks on a trailer that are there from use doing what it was intended to be used for are signs of a well loved and well used rig. Dirt, crud, broken pieces are signs of neglect, but hail damage is life.

We live on the west coast of Canada so just north of you and we travel all over the western provinces and states. We've hit all kinds of weather including snow in summer, hail, huge lightening and wind storms, and they sure do make things interesting and great stories to tell around the campfire.

By the way, I've seen a fibreglass trailer that was in a huge hail storm in Saskatchewan and it had many hairline cracks in it like an egg dropped. It didn't leak, but I'd be more afraid of that than a few pock marks.

Enjoy your Airstream, and post pictures of your restoration. We love pictures.

Barry
Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here are some pics from JCanavera's photo gallery that have some fairly significant hail damage issues:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...ser=56&page=12
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
My Airstream was baptized by hail within 4 months of owning it. It has several dimples, especially on the end caps. I just don't worry about it anymore.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
My Airstream was baptized by hail within 4 months of owning it. It has several dimples, especially on the end caps. I just don't worry about it anymore.
Got any corrosion (white spider veins)??
Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The issue though is that any trailer made of aluminum that gets hit hard by hail will have marks, so restoring an SOB instead of an Airstream won't matter. You get into a hail storm that can cause serious dents and even your TV is highly likely to suffer. I think you'll still find a market for a hail damaged Airstream and are much less likely to do so for a similar SOB.

Now about the sun taking out dents - I wonder if that will work on my face . It could use a few age related dents taken out.

Barry
Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Back about 1984 my son, then 9, and I went camping in the high Sierra in our brand new pop-up. The second day BIG thunder storms rumbled over us and we got pummeled relentlessly with BIG hail. We had so much fun trying to out yell the noise. 2 days later we broke camp and folded the trailer. It was then we noticed the heavy damage to the roof. We laughed and laughed. Today he is 31 and when we reminisce that is always our most memorable trip....just the 2 of us. Eventually we sold the pop up, in excellent condition with the 'textured' roof.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Here are some pics from JCanavera's photo gallery that have some fairly significant hail damage issues:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...ser=56&page=12
Talk about all "Hail" breaking loose!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #28

2006 28' Classic
Round Rock , Texas
Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

Last year, our 2003 25' Safari was totaled by hail damage -- I'm talking huge hail (golf ball to orange size, which we had never experienced in our lives). Yes, I hate to admit, it was sitting in our driveway at the time. We were watching the weather but when the first big "thud" hit the roof of our house, we knew we were in trouble. Damage to the tow vehicle and I believe just about every house in our neighborhood had to be re-roofed, including ours. We had a sick feeling in our gut when we saw the AS but still had hope it could be repaired--but, no, it was totaled and yes, it did have leaks.

AS holds its value--insurance paid well. Several months later we found a great deal on a 28' Classic a couple of hours from home. The added space was nice and the floorplan suited our needs better than our beloved 2003. So, now we're paranoid and this time we were going to "do it right" and got a covered storage space to store the new AS when not in use. So, we get the new AS home in the driveway after a two-hour drive and a neighbor comes over to point out the big dent in the upper right corner -- seems we hit a large bird while on the road as indicated by the lone feather at the hit site and a few more on top of the trailer. My husband was able to suction out the dent somewhat--no leaks, no problems.

Then several months later on a trip while driving through New Mexico on IH10, traffic came to a complete stop as some bad weather was moving through the area. As we were sitting (ducks) there, high winds with, yes, hail hit us. Luckily it was small hail...just a few tiny "zits" on one side of the AS -- I think that only because the wind was fueling it's force (our 2003 had experienced small hail with no problem). So, you know, you just gotta laugh and keep on enjoying your AS.