Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #41
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
A weather notice to fill me with fear

City of Toronto
10:27 AM EDT Tuesday 4 August 2009
Severe thunderstorm watch for
City of Toronto issued

Conditions are favourable for severe thunderstorms to develop this afternoon with damaging winds..Large hail and brief torrential downpours.

This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds.

Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements. If threatening weather approaches take immediate safety precautions.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I got official word that my trailer will be totalled. We are now working through the dollars... value of the insured trailer before damage, and price to buyback the "wreck".

If we don't buy it, we would probably go without a trailer for a long time, because I was out of work for 6 months, and have extra expenses due to relocation for work - paying for two houses plus one apartment, plus child in college...

From the preliminary numbers, I may buy the trailer. The exterior has hail dents, especially on the end caps. But it is fully functional, does not leak, and the interior is like new. I would need to replace the AC cover and a roof vent, but that's about all. I'd save some money because I won't need to park it indoors anymore... no more hail worries, it's pre-hailed! With the recent move to Colorado, we would use it to explore the mountains.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
There is a silver lining and you can see it that is good. Glad to here everything is working out.
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
This thread has been an informative read, thanks Brett and to all who have posted.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #45
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Looks like ours will be totaled also. Luckily we have replacement coverage, so that will help.

Now we face the problem of finding one like ours. Can anyone give us input on how hard it's going to be to replace it?

Would anyone be willing to part with their 06 Bambi 16ft Safari?
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
The numbers for hail damage

Recommend reading post261374 "hail Damage $$$ Settlement Recap" which gives the actual settlement numbers with our insurance company.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My hail damage is a bit worse than yours on the end caps, but my entire curb side is good. Allstate said they will have numbers for me on Monday. I'm thinking about buying it back, as the damage is cosmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Recommend reading post261374 "hail Damage $$$ Settlement Recap" which gives the actual settlement numbers with our insurance company.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Hail is one of our greatest concerns when on the road. We got into some hail on May 3rd in Videlia, La and still trying to get eveything finalized with GMAC. Its been a slow process. When at home we keep our AS in our hanger to cut down on exposing it to our local storms. We haven't a decent rain for a long time that we have forgotten what it looks like.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #49
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Long Story Short

Today was the day. Took our Bambi to Timeless Travel Trailers for a complete exterior rebuilt. Couldn't find one for sale, so asked the Ins. company to repair and they and TTT worked a deal. The estimate was right on the "total" price. Should be done by the 30th of March.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #50
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Pictures of the damage

Should have loaded these yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	94868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	94869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1429.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	94870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	94871  

Old 01-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Elvie, reminds me of the 1990 Denver hail storm that did that to our SUV, though it didn't look quite as bad. Glad to see you made a deal to get it fixed.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I'm the OP on this old thread. My trailer was totalled, and I bought it back from the insurance company. The end caps are a mess, but the rest is okay with fewer and smaller dents. I'm underemployed in Denver, with my family back in Minneapolis... so I'm not fixing dents until my economy improves! I did buy a new A/C cover this week, and need to get a new ceiling vent assembly. Eventually I want to replace the end caps ($$$).

I was full-timing in the trailer last summer when the hail storm hit. I rented a townhome for the winter, but will move back into the trailer in May.

It is amazing the people I meet in the RV park... ranging from travellers passing through on vacation, people that scrimp on a minimum wage job, kids on a college internship with their future ahead, people that have lost their job and home, divorced guys that lost everything, and some like me - displaced professionals working far from home trying to keep their family afloat from 900 miles away. It's been a "life experience"!

If anyone stops by the Prospect RV Park in Denver this summer, stop by the dented Airstream Safari and say "hi"!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Does anyone know the manufacturer and model of the standard ceiling vent assembly? I already have a Fantastic Vent fan in the front (which survived the storm fine) and want to replace the rear vent with an original type. Anything special about replaceing it? I assume that I must scrape off a lot of sealant, remove screws, then install the new vent and apply new sealant.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #54
Rivet Master

We were over at Windish RV, Lakewood Colorado, a few weeks ago, and spotted a 2009 27ft front Bedroom Classic Limited, never titled that they carried over since it has had hail damage from last July 2009 storm. All the plasitic roof bits are shattered, A/C shroud, and the white center roof panel has ball peen hammer sized dents all over it. Also, the curbside front and rear curved body panels have dents as well. Everything else is pristine, since the trailer was between other trailers, the dents are high and mostly out of sight.
Replacing the dented panels is doable in our garage. Windish said they will replace all the roof plastic bits,A/C shroud etc. roof vent stacks.; Question, this trailer had an MSRP of $84000 and Windish was pricing it at $54900, Now they are willing to sell for $49,000. All warranties would apply except leaks from dented seams etc being an act of nature.
Anyone got an opinion, worth it or not, or does there need to be more of price reduction? Any thoughts?
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #55
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If they are now at $49,000, that's a big discount. Take 20% off MSRP for a good size discount off a pristine new trailer bringing it down to $67,000, this is another $18,000. But it's a year old damaged trailer. Windish used to have a lot of Airstreams, but have only 3 or 4 now—that's all we could see from 6th Ave., when we were in Denver several weeks ago. There was a rumor they were getting out of the Airstream business. Maybe they are trying to get rid of this one and all the others—they may be willing to discount more.

Better check with Airstream about the extent of the warranty as Windish may be blowing smoke. Has the trailer been outside all this time? Have you checked for water tracks from interior leaks?

Get prices on the dented panels and figure in your time to get a real price. Will Windish get you the panels at their cost?

Check other Airstream dealers prices to see what they are asking for new 2009 similar trailers, or at least to figure the discount percentages from any 2009 Airstreams. You may find this trailer is worth even less.

Windish damaged our trailer and fixed some and paid us off for the rest. Watch them carefully.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Does anyone know the manufacturer and model of the standard ceiling vent assembly? I already have a Fantastic Vent fan in the front (which survived the storm fine) and want to replace the rear vent with an original type. Anything special about replaceing it? I assume that I must scrape off a lot of sealant, remove screws, then install the new vent and apply new sealant.
To answer my own question for future readers... I believe the vent is a Jensen "new style". I don't need to replace the whole thing... just the lid and the screen. This way I don't have to scrape off the old sealant and remove the whole thing. I found the screen PN JRP1124B, and I ordered it from "RV Parts Center". Easy to replace with a few screws. The lid can be bought most anywhere.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
We were over at Windish RV, Lakewood Colorado, a few weeks ago, and spotted a 2009 27ft front Bedroom Classic Limited, never titled that they carried over since it has had hail damage from last July 2009 storm. All the plasitic roof bits are shattered, A/C shroud, and the white center roof panel has ball peen hammer sized dents all over it. Also, the curbside front and rear curved body panels have dents as well. Everything else is pristine, since the trailer was between other trailers, the dents are high and mostly out of sight.
Replacing the dented panels is doable in our garage. Windish said they will replace all the roof plastic bits,A/C shroud etc. roof vent stacks.; Question, this trailer had an MSRP of $84000 and Windish was pricing it at $54900, Now they are willing to sell for $49,000. All warranties would apply except leaks from dented seams etc being an act of nature.
Anyone got an opinion, worth it or not, or does there need to be more of price reduction? Any thoughts?
The list price, minus 25% standard discount, minus $25K for hail... gives $38,000.

Windish's insurance company may have totalled that trailer, and they bought the wreckage back. They may only have $20K into that trailer now.

Hail financially destroys Airstreams!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #58
Rivet Master

CrawfordGene, No, Windish isn't going out of business. There is about a dozen 2010 airstreams behind and rear of the service end of the building you can't see from 6th Ave.
Then, you know they have the satellite dealership up in Longmont which used to be Del Camino RV. They have more airstreams there.
I talked with Airstream Customer Service about this trailer, and it comes with full factory warranty, if you want to call it that, with the exception of leaky panels/seams etc. Those would be considered an act of god.
Other than that restriction this 27ft front bedroom covered.
I would have to make sure it came with a clear unblemished title.
DMAC's math more suits what I was thinking. Discounted deal, then a healthy discount for hail, to sum it up around $35-38000
We shall see.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Hail repairs

If you want to stop by and see what is involved in the repair of hail damaged Airstreams you are welcome to make an appointment and visit our facility in Wheat Ridge.

We are about 60% of the way through applying a complete new skin to a 1976 International ($56,000 in hail damage to a $105,000 newly rebuilt and customized trailer) and just beginning replacing both end caps, the roof and the street side of an '06 Bambi which sustained $26,000 in hail damage. For the newer models we get complete end cap assemblies from the factory and replace them as entire units. This allows us to keep as many driven rivets in the structure as possible as they are stronger than the repair rivets.

While you are there you can also take a look at the 2010 Airstream/Timeless Heavy Duty 23' Commercial trailer being built out as a kitchen, a 1967 Airstream International being repurposed as a commercial kitchen and our new 1948 Westcraft model also being finished out as a commercial kitchen and our recently completed 1967 Airstream Caravel repurposed as a refrigerated organic produce trailer. We do have some travel trailer projects coming up in the next few months but right now we are buried in foodservice work!
Brett - TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #60
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
The trailer(s) that you found over at Windish RV from my understanding came from the dealership that was in Colorado Springs (mountain states rv)... Rumor has it Windish received 11 trailers from the CS dealership that lost the ability to sell Airstreams due to $$$. The trailers all are new (never been titled) but all need a lot of TLC and three look to have what I would call major hail damage for a new never been sold unit. There must be more to the 11 Airstreams because the dealership will not let you look inside... (strange way to sell a trailer)...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote