Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Hail

<-- Me, then rain Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail trailer dents

I think I mispelled that word. I think it starts with an H for an Airstream owner, it backs up the alphabet just a few letters and stops for a second at the e, then races to the 12th letter of the alphabet and hits you on the head twice.

How much damage to the top of a trailer is enough to make it worth turning in the claim? I've know the aluminum heating up will allow some of the dents to pop back out.

Anyone have any experience or guidelines to share? Any other concerns I should have?

I know I have a few vent cover edges that broke, and a few new holes and cracks in the already fragile (pronounced Fraaaagiiiilllllaay) air conditioner cover. Which by the way I haven't been able to get off by removing the screws. Not sure why.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
<-- Me, then rain Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail trailer dents

I think I mispelled that word. I think it starts with an H for an Airstream owner, it backs up the alphabet just a few letters and stops for a second at the e, then races to the 12th letter of the alphabet and hits you on the head twice.

How much damage to the top of a trailer is enough to make it worth turning in the claim? I've know the aluminum heating up will allow some of the dents to pop back out.

Anyone have any experience or guidelines to share? Any other concerns I should have?

I know I have a few vent cover edges that broke, and a few new holes and cracks in the already fragile (pronounced Fraaaagiiiilllllaay) air conditioner cover. Which by the way I haven't been able to get off by removing the screws. Not sure why.
Um, I think it is pronounced, Fraghiilee, as in the Christmas Story.
If you turn in hail damage, you are liable to be looking at the ins comapny totaling your trailer. As far as your A/C cover, if you have the original Armstrong A/C unit, I may be able to help you with it.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Um, I think it is pronounced, Fraghiilee, as in the Christmas Story.
Ah yes you have hit it right on the head...I thought I was trying to help the reader with my spelling, but I like yours too....the Christmas Story was the joke.

Good point about the "total" recall (maybe I'll run for governor ) of the trailer. Not quite the plan. I do have the Armstrong A/C. I have removed the 3 screws on each side, but the front seems to be connected somewhere, although I don't believe it is vulcum or another seal.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 07-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
sovereignrwe.

Unless the hail damage is severe, an insurance company will settle on "loss of value". Loss of value is determined by the severity of the damage.

Additionally, they will pay for the labor and replacement parts, that may have been damaged, such as exterior lights, vent covers, AC shroud, TV antenna, and the like.

Hail dents in segments rarely disappear.

Hail dents in the side sheets and roof, for most part will disappear in time, when exposed to the sun. Usually one good hot summer does the job.

Because of the age of your Airstream, replacement of any sheetmetal, would not be practical from an insurance companies point of view.

It doesn't take long to total out an older trailer, so you must be cautious with your approach.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
3 new end segments Aug. 2004

Time to get out my ball peen hammer.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
It doesn't take long to total out an older trailer, so you must be cautious with your approach.

Andy
Hi Andy,

And it only makes sense. After all, ...

"Any travel trailer older than five years, or so, is only fit as quarters for chickens and not people. In Texas, we sic tornadoes on the trailer folks periodically for just this reason. What are these Airstream people talking about, anyway?"
- George W.
2000, speaking to Naval Academy graduating class.

— Johnny
airstream6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
I have removed the 3 screws on each side, but the front seems to be connected somewhere, although I don't believe it is vulcum or another seal.
Hmmm, doesn't sound like the shroud off my 72, there were 4 screws around the hole for the condensor fan, with a dab of something or other up front, so the wind wouldn't lift it.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Mark & Kimber.

Ball park, $3000.00 if a dealer does it.

Ball peen hammer? Reverse hail dents. Novel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Mark & Kimber.

Ball peen hammer? Reverse hail dents. Novel.

Andy
I am having visions of an anti-ship mine, with lumps and spikes sticking out all over.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Sorry, I didn't catch your answer until now. We did have new segments put on by a dealer in Aug. 2004. We found out first hand the cost of new segments. Thus the tears as we look at those beautiful new segments with random quarter sized dents in them.