Old 10-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by ak43steve View Post
Interesting posts, I am new to Air Forum.
On Body separation-- I have a 1996, 30 foot that has damage on the front bottom of the skin. From the damage of the lower trim piece and the lower edge of the body aluminum skin I estimate that the body is flexing off the frame up as high as two inches.
The cost estimate is over $6,000 from an Airstream dealer. I will have a professional do the repairs, but need to decide to go with the Airstream dealer, or another shop I have had worked with. This shop looked at it and immediately knew the problem. They have 4 guys on the team and are meticulous in their work. ( As a hobby, they build racing airboats, with helicopter turbine engines) I have confidence they could do the work with some technical background information from the factory or others.
The Airstream factory service department gave me some detailed instructions with pictures on the repair of the skin. I am also
asking for complete plans and schematics with parts lists showing how the Body, the floor, and etc. are fastened to the frame.
I would like the repair people to understand the problem, so they can reengineer, rebuild, brace up the fasteners and supporting framework to insure that this problem doe not come back.
I think the problem was caused by my heavy 2500 dodge, with camper
(1300lb), extra spring leaf, and Curts 1000 lb. distribution bars stiffly adjusted. Is there a better brand tow bar that would be softer and not transfer shock back to the trailer?
Any body have any input on my problem
Unfortunately, your tow vehicle is the complete problem.

Secondly, for what you have, there is NO fix, even if you used the lowest rating bars on the market.

If you fix the trailer, don't tow it with what you have, or the same thing will happen again and again.

A 1/2 or 3/4 ton tow vehicles is all you need, and with the 3/4 ton, use a 600 pound bar. with the 1/2 ton, you can use a 750 bar.

But, NO overload springs of ANY kind, or you will be back where you started.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
University Place , Washington
Update on my 97 body separation - trailer is for repair at Airstream NW. Pricy but thought it should be done right.

I just bought a 2006 30'er. Trailer is in near new condition. It came with a Reese dual cam hitch with 1200 lb bars. I am replacing with 600 lb bars per Andy's recommendation. I plan to keep my 2007 GMC 2500 so will hope for the best. I will keep a close eye on this trailer and will tighten the bars very gently.

If anyone is looking for a nice 1997 30', let me know.

wiemans is offline   Reply With Quote