Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fixing this big "scratch".

Ok, I seem to have the attachment right.

I'm wondering what you experts think of this scratch/dent on this unit. It's one we're thinking of buying. Would like to know how it should affect the value. I think this one is priced a bit on the high side judging from the value listings I've seen.

Is this something that would have to be replaced or can it be repaired?

Thanks for any info.
jb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_scratch_small.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	7900  

Old 07-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
You won't lose the crease, without replacing (2?) panel(s). There is a plethora of threads on this subject (do a search). One could argue that the damage could depreciate the trailer by a good $1500 or more (2 panels).

Old 07-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

This is an '81 27ft excella. Seller says everything works and that it spent a lot of time parked in campsite. It's been sitting in an outdoor storage facility for 2 years.

He's asking $6,750 which includes an anti-sway hitch (don't know the brand). Has awnings all around, upgraded furnace...etc.

Does this seem like a decent price? I kind of feel the price would be good except for that big crease. We haven't actually seen the unit yet (will in a week or so).

Any thoughts? Thanks - this is one of the best websites for info I've seen.
jb
Old 07-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If the unit is otherwise clean and most systems operate then I would feel this trailer is probably priced fairly in spite of the dent. I've seen '81 Excellas priced from $6500 to $14,000. My '82 is insured with Foremost Insurance Co. for $17,000. I'd hate to try and replace it for that. I haven't seen many trailers in any kind of "good" condition sell for much less than $5,500 no matter what model they were (60's and 70's). You can certainly find $2,000 and $3,000 units but there are usually repair issues. Lower priced units will have a few blemishes or systems that need attention. Higher priced units are in a more perfect state.

You can't really go by the blue book value as the NADA only goes back to 1986. Further, on travel trailers the NADA takes the original selling price and assigns a value based upon depreciation percentages rather than on actual average selling prices. With automobiles, the values are actual averages of selling prices. All brands of trailers are treated alike. Frankly, Airstreams don't follow the same depreciation schedules as other brands of trailers. There aren't a great many trailers of other brands out there of this vintage that would be worthy of selling as they would have fallen apart by now. Value is something you will have to decide after looking at the trailer and after reviewing the asking and selling prices of units post around the net and on sales lots.

As to your dent. The trailer looks to be quite usable as it is and isn't that unsightly. Just consider that it gives character to the trailer. However, if replacement of those two panels is a priority to you then they will be quite costly. I priced a replacement of the upper curved rear corner panel which is the panel directly above the panel in your photo. To have it replaced by a repair facility, I was quoted $1,548 for the part and the labor. The panel by itself was more than $500 for the panel and shipping. In my case, I was able to have my shallow dent poped out and removed by a paintless dent repair person using a glue-on dent puller. The dent in your photo might or might not respond to such a technique. Hope this helps,
GStephens
Old 07-21-2004, 09:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Since it has been sitting outdoors for so long, make sure and check ALL of the floor, especially in the access hatches, by the front door and under the front windows for rot. And test ALL of the systems.

John
Old 07-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John Boy.

The segment must be replaced. That is not a scratch, but it is severly gouged.

The indent in the side sheet, can be covered with a phoney louver.

Since the trailer has been sitting for years, check the axles, "CAREFULLY."

You may find them shot.

Andy
Old 07-21-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

All good points - I guess I'll have to wait and see what the unit looks like. I'm thinking we won't be able to test all of the mechanicals since the unit has been sitting and the batteries are no doubt not charged and ready. I don't even think we'll be able to plug the unit in. Maybe I'll try to negotiate a trial period to test the mechanicals at my place.

I know there is one wall that has some delamination that the owner can't explain. Says it happened this winter. I can't tell from the pix (see below) what may have caused it. Owner says he's sure it's not from a leak. What else could it be? Heat?

I plan to check the floor per other posts and the axles and chassis.

Thanks v.much for the input.

jb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_Delam.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	7923  
Old 07-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
John Boy.
The segment must be replaced. That is not a scratch, but it is severly gouged.
The indent in the side sheet, can be covered with a phoney louver.
Since the trailer has been sitting for years, check the axles, "CAREFULLY."
You may find them shot.
Andy
Righto - I have a long list of things to check and am equipped with the great piece from your site re:inspecting the axles.

thanks a bunch.
jb
Old 07-21-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John Boy.

That particular "vinyl" wall covering reacted with the adhesive to the point of losing it's bond.

You cannot successfully reattach it.

Best fix, which we do here is take all of it off, wipe the wood down with lacquer thinner, and then install "Ozite" wall covering, using the best adhesive you can find.

Do not use ordinary wall paper. Won't stay.

Andy
Old 07-21-2004, 01:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
testing the electrical

You could rent a small generator to bring to the trailer to test the electrical. Just make sure you have a three prong adapter to go from shorepower switch to the generator household type.
Marc