Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Filliform
Have it feel like other campers stay back because it is contagious. 5 14.71%
Have it, everyone gets it so who cares. 12 35.29%
Lucky, don't have it or want it. 10 29.41%
Have it. I care and take the appropriate measures. 8 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Note that coastal Airstreams have significant filiform while those inland, especially in the southwest, have little to none. That is why we owners cannot predict a corrosion preventive treatment program for all. It depends on where you live and travel.

CorrosionX or Boeshield T9 applied to edges, rivets, and fittings after washings works. Removing corrosion carefully and reapplying a clearcoat works. Near coastal salt a more frequent and aggressive treament schedule is needed.

Don't be surprised if dealers don't mention it, when they do not treat there own stock trailers, nor fix corrosion on yours under any warranty. Airstream may do something "in good will" but don't count on it. It's up to you to maintain your trailer to the level you find necessary.

Set up a maintenance schedule that suits your climate/use to include washing, corrosion treatment, leak inspection, tire check, systems check, interior cleaning/pest inspection and winterization. The Airstream will last years longer and look good doing it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Are you planning to wipe down the entire trailer with Boeshield? If so how much do you think it will take.

Ken
I have found the protective paraffin wax in Boeshield to be messy and really hard to clean after it dries when applied all over the trailer. Instead I apply it with a Q-tip dipped in the spray cap one rivet, one edge (or scratch) at a time and wipe it off.

Personally I prefer using CorrosionX on the shell, spraying it on and wiping off with a microfiber cloth. I like Boeshield sprayed on underbody steel because it does leave the paraffin wax protective coating.

I don't see the value of waxing the trailer without corrosion treatment as the wax cannot protect the drilled holes under the rivets. I like Turtle Wax "Ice" product wiped on and off after washing, looks really good, removes water spots, won't whiten black plastic/rubber parts, and easy to use.

I buy several cans of these products and use them liberally, cheap insurance.

doug k
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This question popped in my head and is not directed at anyone specifically, but does the use of treatments of CorrosionX or Boeshield weaken the bond between the aluminum and the sealers used on the mating surfaces? Anyone notice loose sealer at those areas?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1980 25' Excella II
St. Marys , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Another option would be to go with an older trailer, from before they made whatever change that caused this problem. My '95 has no corrosion, thankfully.

There are many restorers around that can turn an older trailer into something nicer than what rolled out of Jackson Center, usually for less money than a new one.
You will need to go older that 1980. My 1980 Ecella II has lots of it.
Garamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
This question popped in my head and is not directed at anyone specifically, but does the use of treatments of CorrosionX or Boeshield weaken the bond between the aluminum and the sealers used on the mating surfaces? Anyone notice loose sealer at those areas?
It came to me as I was wiping it on as well. Both products are sold at the Airstream store and used by the Service Center. But no I don't see any evidence of loosening sealant, have used it for three years on two Airstreams.

doug k
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer has a little bit in the usual places. At first I thought that it was assembly glue, but later found out that it was corrosion. In eight years, it has only gained a few more little spots. I live 8.5 miles from the ocean and never wax my trailer. Many owners who have done all kinds of treatments have tons more corrosion than mine.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Are you planning to wipe down the entire trailer with Boeshield? If so how much do you think it will take.

Ken
A lot!.....but not as much as a 747!

Funny thing is that my friend flies a Boeing and he's never heard of the stuff. He was in a bad mood when I asked about it. "I only fly the **** thing - I'm not responsible for its care and feeding."

Sheesh! Must bring back many fond memories, right, Ken?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Filiform corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom View Post
That is very interesting, I was just at that dealer about a month ago and did not notice this. Their website has detailed pictures of the majority of their units, looking at some of these pictures still not seeing the issue? ...
Filiform in its beginning stages is not going to jump out at you if you do not know what to look for. As you can see in my photo below, filiform often starts out looking like very small filaments of whitish threadlike growth, especially on the cut edges of the aluminum panels and/or at the rivet holes.

The poll at the beginning of this thread leaves something to be desired. I wish there was the option to vote for: "Have it, I care and take the appropriate measures."

It is also disappointing that so far, there are only 20 votes out of 551 views of this thread!

More on Filiform corrosion and the appropriate protective measures I take are seen here: Filiform corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0250 Filiform corrosion.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	167671  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Filiform in its beginning stages is not going to jump out at you if you do not know what to look for. As you can see in my photo below, filiform often starts out looking like very small filaments of whitish threadlike growth, especially on the cut edges of the aluminum panels and/or at the rivet holes.

The poll at the beginning of this thread leaves something to be desired. I wish there was the option to vote for: "Have it, I care and take the appropriate measures."

It is also disappointing that so far, there are only 20 votes out of 551 views of this thread!

More on Filiform corrosion and the appropriate protective measures I take are seen here: Filiform corrosion.

Hi, I didn't vote either. Choice number two is close, except for the ending "who cares?"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It came to me as I was wiping it on as well. Both products are sold at the Airstream store and used by the Service Center. But no I don't see any evidence of loosening sealant, have used it for three years on two Airstreams.

doug k

d,
Thanks!
Did you hear a big sigh of relief coming from my direction?

I don't have a problem with corrosion yet, but I use the products proactively too, just to make sure it stays away.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #31
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Lets fix the poll

"The poll at the beginning of this thread leaves something to be desired. I wish there was the option to vote for: "Have it, I care and take the appropriate measures."

It is also disappointing that so far, there are only 20 votes out of 551 views of this thread!"

So let fix the poll so more people can and will vote. I am not sure how this could be done, but will sure try. If you know how to change the poll let me know and I will change to desired poll questions. Tell me what poll questions you think would be more affective. Thanks so far for for all the information. You all have given me a lot to think about and different ways to view living with Filiform.
Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #32

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Dragon
"The poll at the beginning of this thread leaves something to be desired. I wish there was the option to vote for: "Have it, I care and take the appropriate measures."

It is also disappointing that so far, there are only 20 votes out of 551 views of this thread!"

So let fix the poll so more people can and will vote. I am not sure how this could be done, but will sure try. If you know how to change the poll let me know and I will change to desired poll questions. Tell me what poll questions you think would be more affective. Thanks so far for for all the information. You all have given me a lot to think about and different ways to view living with Filiform.
Done!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I really need to change my vote. While doing some body work yesterday, I found 4 spots below the center beltline molding. Corrosion-X attack! I can't complain I guess, 6 years old.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
El Stinkaroonie!!!!

Living in Canada is nice......except you often have to deal with this!!
Boeshield Canada

So I get onto the Corrosion X site as an alternative, and the only dealers are in Alberta.

Edit: Found one place on Vancouver Island!
http://www.sealandaviation.com/index.php
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Living in Canada is nice......except you often have to deal with this!!
Boeshield Canada

So I get onto the Corrosion X site as an alternative, and the only dealers are in Alberta.

It says you can buy it from Boeshield USA.

Aw, come on,.. We need the money...

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
This poll is starting to sound more like a social disease.

In that case, my selection still stands: Lucky, don't have it or want it.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #37
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Does a full polish on bare aluminum alleviate the need for touchups on the clear coat to prevent this corrosion?
If so,
need another box to check on the poll
Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #38
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I was going to check the "If I have it, I've been too busy tearing apart my trailer to fix the frame to notice" box, but didn't find that either...
-Red
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #39
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Rivet Filiform Corrison

I have it , but not too bad. I wish to treat it, but a chemist I am not. There are a host of Web sites that describe it, but few recommendations for treating it. When I first noticed it, I thought it was mud splatters but found out otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hmsteader AIR #6370
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
hm', read the thread I have linked. I know it is a little long, but you'll know every theory and treatment imaginable. Robert Cross has a pretty good handle on it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

You don't have to be a chemist, but you do have to exercise some judgment and be willing to carefully go through the steps to solve it and keep at it, or move to a desert far from salt air and road salt.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote