Have it, everyone gets it so who cares. 12 35.29%
Lucky, don't have it or want it. 10 29.41%
Have it. I care and take the appropriate measures. 8 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Have not seen one trace of this on my FC, and it has endured two Canadian winters outside. The only exterior treatment I have done is Super Walbernization.

But I prefer to be on the side of caution, so will do a complete Boeshield treatment before winter.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If you want data that you can look at, there is a way to make a thread that is a poll with the results to the question tabulated. I don't remember how, but someone here can tell you.

For the record our trailer has none anywhere. When it was new I thought I found some, but it turned out to be some sealer not clean up properly.

Ken
I had a similar experience - turned out to be a spider web! Whew!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our corrosion didn't show up until more than 3 years—first on the door hinges and then on the taillights.

Maybe you should go to a dealer far from the ocean to look at new ones.

Corrosion has been known for years to occur in the same spots and there has been no solution from the factory in installing parts that are not subject to it. But Bob Wheeler has said they will make corrections for those who contact him about it and some people have gotten new parts for their trailers. Write a letter or see if his e-mail address is still on the company website.

I don't think it is contagious as neither of us have corrosion on our bodies (except for the wear and tear of age) so I didn't vote in the poll.

Gene
Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Unfortunately, this is just part of Airstream ownership. I figure, it's cosmetic and much easier to tolerate than what our old SOB looked like after 35 years (the wood frame dry-rotted, and it wasn't roadworthy).

See example of filliform corrosion in time-lapse video below:

CORE-Materials • Filliform Corrosion: Video
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I check our Bambi periodically and every time we wash it. We have have very little evidence of it...a tiny spot on one of the tail lights and an even tinier spot at the edge of a panel in a happily non-obvious place. If I see anything suspicious I immediately treat it with Boeshield and Corrosion-X which stops it in its tracks. I attribute the luck we've had of not getting any filiform to speak of to our very dry Arizona climate.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Have not seen one trace of this on my FC, and it has endured two Canadian winters outside. The only exterior treatment I have done is Super Walbernization.

But I prefer to be on the side of caution, so will do a complete Boeshield treatment before winter.
Are you planning to wipe down the entire trailer with Boeshield? If so how much do you think it will take.

Ken
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Note that coastal Airstreams have significant filiform while those inland, especially in the southwest, have little to none. That is why we owners cannot predict a corrosion preventive treatment program for all. It depends on where you live and travel.

CorrosionX or Boeshield T9 applied to edges, rivets, and fittings after washings works. Removing corrosion carefully and reapplying a clearcoat works. Near coastal salt a more frequent and aggressive treament schedule is needed.

Don't be surprised if dealers don't mention it, when they do not treat there own stock trailers, nor fix corrosion on yours under any warranty. Airstream may do something "in good will" but don't count on it. It's up to you to maintain your trailer to the level you find necessary.

Set up a maintenance schedule that suits your climate/use to include washing, corrosion treatment, leak inspection, tire check, systems check, interior cleaning/pest inspection and winterization. The Airstream will last years longer and look good doing it.

doug k
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Are you planning to wipe down the entire trailer with Boeshield? If so how much do you think it will take.

Ken
I have found the protective paraffin wax in Boeshield to be messy and really hard to clean after it dries when applied all over the trailer. Instead I apply it with a Q-tip dipped in the spray cap one rivet, one edge (or scratch) at a time and wipe it off.

Personally I prefer using CorrosionX on the shell, spraying it on and wiping off with a microfiber cloth. I like Boeshield sprayed on underbody steel because it does leave the paraffin wax protective coating.

I don't see the value of waxing the trailer without corrosion treatment as the wax cannot protect the drilled holes under the rivets. I like Turtle Wax "Ice" product wiped on and off after washing, looks really good, removes water spots, won't whiten black plastic/rubber parts, and easy to use.

I buy several cans of these products and use them liberally, cheap insurance.

doug k
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This question popped in my head and is not directed at anyone specifically, but does the use of treatments of CorrosionX or Boeshield weaken the bond between the aluminum and the sealers used on the mating surfaces? Anyone notice loose sealer at those areas?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1980 25' Excella II
St. Marys , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Another option would be to go with an older trailer, from before they made whatever change that caused this problem. My '95 has no corrosion, thankfully.

There are many restorers around that can turn an older trailer into something nicer than what rolled out of Jackson Center, usually for less money than a new one.
You will need to go older that 1980. My 1980 Ecella II has lots of it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
This question popped in my head and is not directed at anyone specifically, but does the use of treatments of CorrosionX or Boeshield weaken the bond between the aluminum and the sealers used on the mating surfaces? Anyone notice loose sealer at those areas?
It came to me as I was wiping it on as well. Both products are sold at the Airstream store and used by the Service Center. But no I don't see any evidence of loosening sealant, have used it for three years on two Airstreams.

doug k
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer has a little bit in the usual places. At first I thought that it was assembly glue, but later found out that it was corrosion. In eight years, it has only gained a few more little spots. I live 8.5 miles from the ocean and never wax my trailer. Many owners who have done all kinds of treatments have tons more corrosion than mine.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:

Ken
A lot!.....but not as much as a 747!

Funny thing is that my friend flies a Boeing and he's never heard of the stuff. He was in a bad mood when I asked about it. "I only fly the **** thing - I'm not responsible for its care and feeding."

Sheesh! Must bring back many fond memories, right, Ken?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Filiform corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom View Post
That is very interesting, I was just at that dealer about a month ago and did not notice this. Their website has detailed pictures of the majority of their units, looking at some of these pictures still not seeing the issue? ...
Filiform in its beginning stages is not going to jump out at you if you do not know what to look for. As you can see in my photo below, filiform often starts out looking like very small filaments of whitish threadlike growth, especially on the cut edges of the aluminum panels and/or at the rivet holes.

The poll at the beginning of this thread leaves something to be desired. I wish there was the option to vote for: "Have it, I care and take the appropriate measures."

It is also disappointing that so far, there are only 20 votes out of 551 views of this thread!

More on Filiform corrosion and the appropriate protective measures I take are seen here: Filiform corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0250 Filiform corrosion.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	167671