Old 08-03-2003, 10:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Before you give up hope, here is a link with some photos that might help:

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Pahaska ,is correct about the aluminum stretching,Unfortunatly I learned this just this past week ,After losing my wheel and tire at 60mph it both tore and dented the alum. skin ,the tears have been very easy to deal with, I simply took it to a welder and had it welded.The dent is a whole other story , even though it was a very gentle bend it still wants to stay that way I have tried everything to straighten it ,granted I have improved it ,but still wants to pop back to its bent state.One solution I have come up with is to get it as flast as possible the put a piece of hard 6061 alum sheet with body adhiesive/epoxy ,clamp it till the epoxy sets and hope it holds .I have tried this method on the bench and it seems to work fine. So with any luck once i get done metal finishing the welds and backing up the dent it should look pretty good.......I hope !

71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:59 AM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with John on this one too.

The best you can hope for is for it to be less caved in.

I liked the plunger idea!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
I have 3 pieces of maple and cherry about 3 ft long, about 1 1/4" square to 3" square. The ends are somewhat rounded and I wax the working end. By applying fairly light pressure and sliding it across the panel you can form or reform a curve. You have to work slowly, and I agree it is probably stretched enough so there will always be some sign of the damage, but you can take most of it out.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:34 AM   #19
1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees

Hi everyone

Thanks for your great advice, I will start the jpob soon.
It's very very very hot here, so it's a good time to work the aluminium, better hot than cold, no ?

I let you know how I get on.

Mark, were you bringing your cordless drill b'cause your extention cable is not long enough to reach here.
I wish I could aford to get one of you guys out here as you must know all the ins and outs of these.

Bye for now
First European Airstream park
Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:41 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Aluminum work hardens very quickly after being formed. If you can bring the temperature up to about 1100 degrees it will aneal the aluminum and the dents can be pushed out with you hand. However if you go a little higher temp. than that the metal will oxidze away. If you smoke the aluminum with a candle and then you heat it with a propane torch the smoke will burn off at around aneal temp. Ive rolled dents out of aluminum with a soft wheel from an inline skate. Just Ideas.. Mac

McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote