Old 10-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
Gentlemen, thanks for your exchange. I have learned much and Andy I'll be calling to order a couple of drill sets on Monday because I'll be needing the correct sizes for the interior work I plan on doing. Anyway, I managed to get the back end of the belly pan off last night, only to find the back 8 inches of my floor in the bath was totally rotted out. This morning I removed the black tank. Guess what I found in the bottom of the tank? A 1/8 inch hole! My new adventure continues.....

Stormy Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Stormy Looked

Well stormy that's how it starts. You broke the first rule of avoiding a shell off restoration, you looked Now that you have started to take it apart you will find it harder and harder to not look. The trailer will be great when you're done. I started to replace a soft area in the rear bath after gutting the trailer. By yesterday I had most of the floor out on the way to a shell on floor repacement. The front floor look great, like new. Problem was that the plywood was rotted out where the screws where into it through the channel. This was evident when trying to take them out and they turned but didn't come out, stripped wood. If you really what a surprise look between your belly pan and floor .

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:13 AM   #17
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by Stormy Weather
Guess what I found in the bottom of the tank? A 1/8 inch hole! My new adventure continues.....
That's easy. Bore it out to 0.1285" and stick a rivet in it!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thats what I found when I started removing the floor on my 58 - the floor was solid, but where the bolts and screws were, it was rotted/not holding the floor to the frame - so out went the whole floor and in with new.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California

The rivet fit for the underbelly, is indeed critical, but for a different reason.

The underbelly, because of it's thinness and lack of places to fasten it to, has a great tendency, while in motion, to flutter.

That being the case, loose fitting rivets will allow the underbelly to flutter, even more so, further artificially enlarging the holes in the metal. The underbelly also will shake when the running gear is not properly balanced.

That will result in premature failure of the rivet heads that were recently installed.

However, to fasten the underbelly, to almost a fail safe degree, use "large head 3/16 inch pop rivets." Use # 11 drill bit holes for them.

Costs a little more, but pays huge dividends.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote