Old 09-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Door Hinge pulls rivets out

I just took off my front door (1960 Overlander) and restored the indoor and out door finish. When I put it back I noticed one of the hinges had three very old corroded screws in it. It looked terrible. I decided to pull the screws and take the hinge off and clean it and the aluminum under it . It also needed a new gasket. I riveted the whole thing back on and it looked great. When I put the door back on and closed it it worked great. After I closed the inne rdoor the rivets pulled out of the far three rivet holes. The short pop rivets just did not hold. The three middle rivets that were replaced with new pulled out also. The last three rivets nearest the door are still holding

Under my investigation I realized the hinge is being pulled hard when closing the door with the inner door closed. I have a suspicion that it was not lined up correctly and years ago the previous owner used screws (factory defect possibly). The screws he used were 1/8 in width and very short. I don't know how to solve this problem because I don't want to go with screws and have them be ripped out also. It has a lot of stress on the hinge when closing the door. The other hinge does seem to have that stress. Any suggestion

Old 09-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I just took off my front door (1960 Overlander) and restored the indoor and out door finish. When I put it back I noticed one of the hinges had three very old corroded screws in it. It looked terrible. I decided to pull the screws and take the hinge off and clean it and the aluminum under it . It also needed a new gasket. I riveted the whole thing back on and it looked great. When I put the door back on and closed it it worked great. After I closed the inne rdoor the rivets pulled out of the far three rivet holes. The short pop rivets just did not hold. The three middle rivets that were replaced with new pulled out also. The last three rivets nearest the door are still holding

Under my investigation I realized the hinge is being pulled hard when closing the door with the inner door closed. I have a suspicion that it was not lined up correctly and years ago the previous owner used screws (factory defect possibly). The screws he used were 1/8 in width and very short. I don't know how to solve this problem because I don't want to go with screws and have them be ripped out also. It has a lot of stress on the hinge when closing the door. The other hinge does seem to have that stress. Any suggestion
What drill size holes did you make, or what were the hole sizes, and what size rivets did you use?

Andy

Old 09-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am wondering if I put a shim the size of the hinge under it. I would use aluminum and raise it to the height of the part pulled away
Old 09-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Andy:

I used 1/8th inch pop rivets. The holes are 1/8". The pop rivets were short. My concern is the pulling on the hinge when the door is closing. I had my hand on the hinge and my wife open the door then closed it the back of the hinge pushed my hand up. The pop rivets closest to the door stayed in. I have a feeling this thing is not aligned correctly. Like I said there were three 1/8" screws in the hinge. two were on the side farthest away from the door and the side that pushed up when you close the door. The three screws that were in have to be as old as the trailer. They are old screws just like the ones on the inside of the trailer.

My concern is this thing is finished and show room quality. I really do not want to rip the interior wall out if it is a quick fix like a shim
Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I might need to bend the hinge riveted to the body of the airstream. I read this on Vintage Trailer Supply.

Warning Replacing the hinges on an Airstream is a major project. Our hinges are extremely well made with consistent angles and offsets. However, it is highly likely your original hinges are not quite so perfect. Your doors were made by hand and the original hinges were modified (i.e. bent) in the factory to make everything fit right. You'll need to have patience and a bench vise to get your new hinges to fit your doors.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Andy:

I used 1/8th inch pop rivets. The holes are 1/8". The pop rivets were short. My concern is the pulling on the hinge when the door is closing. I had my hand on the hinge and my wife open the door then closed it the back of the hinge pushed my hand up. The pop rivets closest to the door stayed in. I have a feeling this thing is not aligned correctly. Like I said there were three 1/8" screws in the hinge. two were on the side farthest away from the door and the side that pushed up when you close the door. The three screws that were in have to be as old as the trailer. They are old screws just like the ones on the inside of the trailer.

My concern is this thing is finished and show room quality. I really do not want to rip the interior wall out if it is a quick fix like a shim
I would not think that 1/8" pop rivets would have the strength to hold the front door properly. Can you use larger pop rivets?

Perhaps you can post a picture of the affected area so we can make sure we know what you are up against?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have to wait on the pic. I just got my renewal notice for the forums. I was looking at it and I really think they pulled the part of the hinge that is attached to the body to far out. I am going to look and work with it tomorrow. This is something I do not want to mess up. I will try a bigger rivet tomorrow.

Thanks

Brian
Old 09-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy:

I feel you asked for trouble with the small pops.

You should use buck rivets, but if not able to do so, then use Olympics (5/32") or pops (3/16").

Those 1/8 rivets would never hold the door.

Andy
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I went digging in my Airstream box of junk and found some Olympic rivets and used them. They pulled the door very tight. I fooled with th hinges first and got the door to pull on the hinges with less stress. I put in the Olympic rivets and shaved them down. It looks great.

Thanks guys for responding and helping me with this.

Brian
Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Thumbs up

Quote:
I went digging in my Airstream box of junk and found some Olympic rivets and used them. They pulled the door very tight. I fooled with th hinges first and got the door to pull on the hinges with less stress. I put in the Olympic rivets and shaved them down. It looks great.

Thanks guys for responding and helping me with this.

Brian
Good luck!