Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Merritt , British Columbia
Rivet Don't trust your Airstream to just anyone...

I've read in various posts about people taking their Airstreams into repair shops, only to suffer the indignity of being told what a pain Airstreams are to work on, and usually being charged more.

Unfortunately some shops just don't know how to work on them. Case in point, I took "Boop", our beloved '71 Airstream into a local SOB repair shop 2 years ago for some much needed emergency repairs to the black water tank. I noticed afterwards that they had refastened the belly skin with SCREWS!!! REGULAR STEEL SCREWS!!! .

What I do now is if our trailer needs any major repair work, we plan a bit of a holiday around it and head to an gen-u-wine Airstream repair shop - in fact this year we went to CG Trailer in Bellflower, CA (LA Area). They let us stay in our trailer (with full hookup) while they did the three day repair.

During that time we made a vacation out of the repair visit...going to a Leno taping; visiting Hollywood, attending an RV show, etc)... It was a fun three days, the cost of repair was reasonable, and the level of service and workmanship was incredibly high.
ayresdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayresdream

What I do now is if our trailer needs any major repair work, we plan a bit of a holiday around it and head to an gen-u-wine Airstream repair shop - in fact this year we went to CG Trailer in Bellflower, CA (LA Area). They let us stay in our trailer (with full hookup) while they did the three day repair.

During that time we made a vacation out of the repair visit...going to a Leno taping; visiting Hollywood, attending an RV show, etc)... It was a fun three days, the cost of repair was reasonable, and the level of service and workmanship was incredibly high.
C&G Trailer takes good care of it's customers and doesn't have that typical "oh, you didn't buy it here" attitude since they are an authorized AS service facility but not a dealer. Rod, the owner, has years of experience and a great relationship with the Airstream HQ. That's a good thing for us.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi all: I need to chime in here. I met both Rod and his wife, and they sure are country type folk, with a style which more suits Oklahoma (I mean really laid back howdy type) than So. Cal. It was very refreshing, and I would not hesitate to take my rig there, as I too live only a few miles from them.

They openly admit, however, they are not experts on fancy wiring for the Sony/DVD/TV and outside speakers.

Best, Robert
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
How True This, I Went To Dealer For Help On The Right Tv. The Dealer Never Heard Of Air Stream.
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I wish there was an AS dealer in the area who was willing to work on a vintage unit, or had mechanics trained to work on a vintage unit. The local AS dealership has refused to work on my motor home and probably with good reason. The service manager asked me if the engine was in the front or the back! My solution is to use a reputable SOB dealer with trained, certified, mechanics and I plan to be there just to make certain no screws or silicone are used.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
C & G are great

they just did our fuzzy window channels and we are happy. They worked on our hose reel and fixed it for $80 when a big box RV place said it would be 300 - 400 dollars. Nothing beats people who know airstreams!! and they are nice folks too!!!
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
C & G Trailer Service

Our trailer is there at this time and I certainly enjoy dealing with Rod and Darlene. In fact, they were very helpful to us in discussing what things to look for and what things cost to repair when we were looking to purchase a "Vintage" trailer. I visited their shop before purchasing and was very impressed with their operation. They know their Airstreams and not just new ones either. They know about repairing Tambour doors and adding gray water tanks, etc. They are just really nice people to boot. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I have been a customer of C&G for many years.

I would highly recommend them to be fair and very knowledgeable.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Airstreamin' in Canada

1973 27' Overlander
Waterdown , Ontario
It would be really helpful if folks could post their good (and bad) experiences on the forums. Being new to Airstreams, any advice you folks can provide is very welcome.

This might save folks a lot of money.

And in the case of structural repairs, it could save lives too.
mlang905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
AS of Spokane is closer and they are good as well. I can attend the taping of Leno for you ;-)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
East Coast Airstream repair

I've read a couple of similar threads and find that I am left jealous of all those in California who get to choose which of several excellent firms will work on their Airstream this year...;-)

Does anyone have an East Coast firm - ideally Northeast - they could recommend?

thanks,
leo
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii

Does anyone have an East Coast firm - ideally Northeast - they could recommend?

thanks,
leo
Close Leo, but Jackson Center is it. I know that there is a place in Iowa that does great work, but for me Jackson Center (the factory) is the same distance. For you it's a bit farther than 5 hours (my trip time to JC), but unless someone can give a glowing review for someone out east, I'd say JC is your best bet.

BTW, the issues mentioned above where SOB dealers knowing jack about Airstreams, etc, it all too common of a tale...heck, some Airstream dealers don't even know.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Where in Iowa??

Caught your post Silvertwinkie. Where is the Iowa shop? It would be good to have a reliable place nearby!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Overlander64 posted several time and I seem to recall pictures as well....also I saw his coach from the work done and it seemed very good.

It was Ace Fogdall:

Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, IA's dealer for new and used motorhomes
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can try GSM vehicles in New York, up near the border with Vermont.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #16

1992 35' Airstream 350
Quincy , Massachusetts
Airstream RV

Hi All-

I am new to this post and mostly because I have a 15 year old Airstream RV. There are several posts below about where to take a trailer - is there any advice for the RV? It has been worked on several times in several different placed since we are always on the road but we would like to get it repaired and checked out with a reliable mechanic soon. Preferably the southwest/west coast reigon.

Any direction on an experienced Airstream RV mechanic would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Norwich , New York
there is an airstream repair shop in central new york state.
its called chevy ave. restorations,its in north norwich n.y.
we specialize in vintage airstreams and tow vehicles.
but we have a lot of newer units coming in for on main reason, no one will
work on them for these owners. and when they do its often not correct.
our work can be seen at sweetsovereign.blogspot.com and
chevyaverestorations.blogspot.com
our telephone number is 607-334-4253
we will do anything from a step repair to a full on custom restoration.
we also custom make any size gray tanks.and install them.
we are 5 miles from the north east classic car meseum and 35 miles from the ball hall of fame.
stanton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Hi All-

I am new to this post and mostly because I have a 15 year old Airstream RV. There are several posts below about where to take a trailer - is there any advice for the RV? It has been worked on several times in several different placed since we are always on the road but we would like to get it repaired and checked out with a reliable mechanic soon. Preferably the southwest/west coast reigon.

Thanks!
If you are going to be on the west coast you can go to C&G or Inland RV. both are in or a few feet from L.A. County. You can run a search to see which one sounds best to you.

When are you coming out to the West Coast?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Hi All-

Thanks!
We offer a 250 point "safety inspection."

The results are provided in detailed writing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
GSM leak testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
You can try GSM vehicles in New York, up near the border with Vermont.
Hi Terry,

Thank you very much for the recommendation - I am extraordinarily pleased with them. I took my Airstream up to GSM on Monday as I have been having some leaking problems. They hooked up the Sealtech, found the main culprit (a busted toilet vent) and about a dozen or so smaller leaks, installed a new vent, vulkum'd the offending leaks, and sent me on my way all in about three hours.

Colin is VERY knowledgable and I could not be happier with the quality of the company or their work.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote