Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Do Olympic Rivets Leak?

I'm trying to trace down a leak that eventually ends up on top of the front-center window frame, then drips down the screen. I have re-sealed both seams between the front 3 roof segments and also the rear seam at each of those segments that go the width of the trailer with Parbond. I also removed the 3 clearance lights and sealed around the rubber grommet where the wire goes through the body as well as around each mounting screw. I have also Parbonded around each letter of "Airstream" right above the window. At this point, everything above the leak I have addressed. I have noticed, though, that a PO must have replaced the center and street-side front roof segments, as they have Olympic rivets. My question is, can these rivets leak either around the perimeter or on the top of the head where the center shaft is shaved? Should I go around the perimeter of each of these rivets with Parbond? Or seal over the top of the rivet heads? They all look good, but I'm running out of possible leak sources. Any ideas? Thanks!!
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

leaky rivets

I do not have personal experience with Olympic rivets, but I have seen the result of them leaking on a recent thread here. I would definitly seal around all of them as well as possible.
I had a similar leak in my Safari that I traced to some loose bucked rivets in the roof, on the side of the forward ceiling vent. They looked fine, but water was coming in around the rivet heads and then following the "C" channel to the front rib. from there it would run either down the side to the top of the jalousie windows, or down the front cap to the front window, like you described. Another thing that was causing a front window leak was a screw that a PO put through the little gutter above the window. It punctured the skin, but I couldn't see it until I removed the screw.
Good luck, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Do Olympic Rivets Leak?
Short answer yes. I had a front segment that had been replaced before I came along. It was installed with olympics and they leaked. Every one of them were loose and allowed the whole segment to flex even though the shape should have held it stiff. I drill out and replaced all the olympics, also had to remove some of the channel for the trim and found they didn't bother to put about 10 rivets there. All in all replaced around 40 rivets and now no leaks and the pannel is as stiff as the other side. My major lead was the missing rivets but the others also leaked as evedent by the damage.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by somefun View Post
I'm trying to trace down a leak that eventually ends up on top of the front-center window frame, then drips down the screen. I have re-sealed both seams between the front 3 roof segments and also the rear seam at each of those segments that go the width of the trailer with Parbond. I also removed the 3 clearance lights and sealed around the rubber grommet where the wire goes through the body as well as around each mounting screw. I have also Parbonded around each letter of "Airstream" right above the window. At this point, everything above the leak I have addressed. I have noticed, though, that a PO must have replaced the center and street-side front roof segments, as they have Olympic rivets. My question is, can these rivets leak either around the perimeter or on the top of the head where the center shaft is shaved? Should I go around the perimeter of each of these rivets with Parbond? Or seal over the top of the rivet heads? They all look good, but I'm running out of possible leak sources. Any ideas? Thanks!!
The clearance lights also leak.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Any rivet can be suspect not just the Olympics. I had bucked rivets put in at that factory that were leaking. Remember the Airstream has longitudinal ribs that will allow water to run amazing distances. Try parking the AS with the tail slightly low and use a hose to check for leaks, start working from the lowest point to the highest point. Do you have the window guard installed? That is where my leak was. I have also seen bad "gasketing" behind the center window cause leaks, that one was fixed by taking the entire window assembly out and redoing it. FWIW that maybe where your problem is if they replaced segments and did not reinstall the window correctly. johnHD helped someone R&R the front window and documented it with pictures. Made a pesky leak go away.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote