Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
DIY dent puller kit

Hello

I have a dent - not across seems, no scratch, no crease... Sorry can't post a picture from my phone...

Will a dent puller kit like this one damage the coating of the exterior? 08 ccd

Save on Dent Fix PK100 at ToolTopia.com

thanks!
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I think I would try suction before I would use a product that glues to the surface. The product mentions OEM baked surfaces like automotive paint but Im not sure about our clearcoat. For $299.00 I would let one of the professional guys have a crack at it and see if they can atleast make it better. We use these guys every day at the dealership. Its amazing what they can do pushing out a dent from behind but might be different when pulling from the outside. Give em a call or contact a local car dealer and see who they use..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
the kit is $230 and my wife has a dent in her car too... and then there is the convenience of doing it when i have time not wait for some dent guy to show up.

it can't be pushed from behind because of the double wall structure...

what do others do with their dent ?

thanks !
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
what do others do with their dent ?

thanks !
In the absence of photo's.

Most owners do 2 things.

1. They call their insurance company.

2. They then take the coach to an Airstream dealer that has a reputation of doing top notch sheet metal work, to have the dented area corrected.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Good point Andy, and I agree with you in principal.
I have some sheet metal experience and am willing to try to gently massage my bumps out...
This is the kit I chose...
Dent Hammer Glue Puller Paintless Repair Removal PDR: eBay Motors (item 300430454093 end time May-24-10 10:52:21 PDT)
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
In the absence of photo's.

Most owners do 2 things.

1. They call their insurance company.

2. They then take the coach to an Airstream dealer that has a reputation of doing top notch sheet metal work, to have the dented area corrected.

Andy
Yes and no... It depends on your (or my) deductible for one

for two - I'm not sure if I want the panel to be replaced if I don't have to... It's not leaking now and do I want to take a chance?

Also the hassle to deal with insurance and dropping and picking up the trailer...

Keyair... Have you had any issues with the clearcoat and your pullhammer? I asume the glue is somewhat similar...

Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The aluminum skin on an Airstream is much harder and stiffer than sheet metal on cars these days. I think I'd pay someone with experience rather than buy a took that you will only need once and most likely won't work.
Also, the paintless dent removal tools that the guys at the dealerships use to remove door dinks and hail damage don't do very well on aluminum. I had a guy work on a few on my Trade Wind and the aluminum just won't work like steel. Also, because it is so hard the guy had trouble getting enough leverage to move the metal. Bottom line, don't waste you time with that option.
I agree with Andy, call the insurance comp. and have someone who knows what they are doing fix it the right way.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Have not used the kit yet, been bust fixing other stuff, but in my case my clearcoat is toast, and is coming off in the future, so not worried about it at all.
My guess is that it would be better stuck to the skin thanmultiple layers of paint!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Finally got to using the kit...
It worked pretty good!
Only problem I have had is the heat... its been pretty warm here, and I have no shade to work in, so the glue does not really harden, so the tabs pop off before I can get the the pull finished.
Gonna try it on morning this week while its cooler..
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have the cheap $25 hot melt puller kit. I have branch and hail damage on my 63. The 63 does not have clear coat and has a moderate polish job. The dent puller system did not work well on the aluminum that was stretched due to hail or tree limbs. It did pull out areas that were just caved in by bending. I tried it on a 2005 with hail damage. It worked to pull out the outer edges of the cave in but not the center where the aluminum was stretched. I did use a suction cup to pull out a cave in a lower panel on a 1989 caused by backing into something small. The repairs improved the looks a bit but not up to the standard of a good dealer achieves by replacing panels, but it is a lot cheaper.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote