Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What color would you cover you interior in
Cognac 2 66.67%
Black 0 0%
Shade of Blue 1 33.33%
All White 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Lake Forest , Illinois
Question Did I Goof?

Complete Newbie here -

Restore cars - never an Airstream, but am completely enjoying the experience.

I have one or two fairly significant scratches in my 1972 Overlander Land Yacht. I used 600 grit sandpaper (for 5 minutes at most) on the scratch - thinking that I could move up on the grit level to blend the scratch.

Then I realized that I could/might have removed some of the coating - as the area I sanded became lighter than the area I was already buffing.

Can I repair this - or do I need a new panel? I am going to try to buff it out with Nuvite today - and see what it looks like.

If a new panel is needed, I'll do that as well.

Can post a picture after I work on it again today.

Also, does anyone sell kits - or parts of kits, that fit into Airstreams - you know - couches, bunks, sinks, bathrooms. Haven't found a one on line - might be a business I'd consider starting (serial entrepreneur).

Thanks so much for helping me through this exciting restoration.

Also, - I want to add solar to my unit and A/C, in fact, will be replacing all of the major mechanicals - so if anyone could recommend the preferred vendors, I'd be thankful.

Ok, back to polishing.

Paul
PJBWFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBWFG View Post
Complete Newbie here -

Restore cars - never an Airstream, but am completely enjoying the experience.

I have one or two fairly significant scratches in my 1972 Overlander Land Yacht. I used 600 grit sandpaper (for 5 minutes at most) on the scratch - thinking that I could move up on the grit level to blend the scratch.

Then I realized that I could/might have removed some of the coating - as the area I sanded became lighter than the area I was already buffing.

Can I repair this - or do I need a new panel? I am going to try to buff it out with Nuvite today - and see what it looks like.

If a new panel is needed, I'll do that as well.

Can post a picture after I work on it again today.

Also, does anyone sell kits - or parts of kits, that fit into Airstreams - you know - couches, bunks, sinks, bathrooms. Haven't found a one on line - might be a business I'd consider starting (serial entrepreneur).

Thanks so much for helping me through this exciting restoration.

Also, - I want to add solar to my unit and A/C, in fact, will be replacing all of the major mechanicals - so if anyone could recommend the preferred vendors, I'd be thankful.

Ok, back to polishing.

Paul
Polishing that scratch will onlky make it worse.

The polished part will look bright and shinney as a mirror, when the rest of it will look somwhat dull.

Also, the clearcoat only lasts 5 to 6 years, and then must be redone, or leave it alone. The clearcoat will peel in sections all by itself, and then the oxidation process will set in.

There is only a couple of Airstream dealers that deal with many parts.

However, there is one non-dealer who sells many Airstream parts, but the factory will not honor any warranty if you buy it from them. Airstream has stated that in writing.

Since your new to Airstreaming, the first large step is making the trailer water-proof. All the exterior gaskets will need replacing, if not already done so, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets which only last 2 to 3 years.

Checking the axles out should be done when the trailer is more than 25 years old, and/or especially if the coach was parked for an extended period of time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sorry, can't help you with the scratch. We are just entering that phase!
We bought our replacement appliances from a variety of places when on sale: Camping World, Vintage Trailer Supply, Out of Doors Mart, Inland RV. There are others on the internet and sales are the time to buy. We tended to spend winters shopping and summers installing....
I have not heard of kits for interiors, but many people sell their interiors when they are gutting, parting out, or upgrading. You could check the classifieds for these. Cabinets are usually stick built, upgraded from what's there, or sometimes prebuilt cabinets that are modified to reduce weight and fit the trailer curves.
Good luck, and welcome to the Forums!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Lake Forest , Illinois
Kay,

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of building repeatable kits - as I am going to gut (and sell) the complete interior of our 1972 Land Yacht. It's all in excellent condition but I am looking for a "hotel" look.

Many thanks for the reply.

Paul
Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Polishing that scratch will onlky make it worse.

The polished part will look bright and shinney as a mirror, when the rest of it will look somwhat dull.

Also, the clearcoat only lasts 5 to 6 years, and then must be redone, or leave it alone. The clearcoat will peel in sections all by itself, and then the oxidation process will set in.

There is only a couple of Airstream dealers that deal with many parts.

However, there is one non-dealer who sells many Airstream parts, but the factory will not honor any warranty if you buy it from them. Airstream has stated that in writing.

Since your new to Airstreaming, the first large step is making the trailer water-proof. All the exterior gaskets will need replacing, if not already done so, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets which only last 2 to 3 years.

Checking the axles out should be done when the trailer is more than 25 years old, and/or especially if the coach was parked for an extended period of time.

Andy
Andy,

Thanks so much.

I did, however, remove the clear coat. This was a scratch I was attempting to blend after the clear coat was removed. Hence the question of buffing. I've since started to compound it again and it's getting better, leading me to believe that I may not have affected the "alumicote" or whatever they call it that is put on aluminum used by Airstream.

I will check the axles also.

My thanks
Paul