Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Tempe , Arizona
Dent repair options

Hello all - I am going to post about something that a thread down the list talks about but I only have one dent and I am looking to get the best possible outcome.

We use our Airstream, an 87 Sovereign 29, as a mobile office and sleeper option for when we are out at tracks. Clients often use it as well, so appearance matters.

I was quoted $4,233.86 to fix the dent by the local Airstream service provider (in Az.) and I just about fainted. As it breaks down, the panels (#21 and #11) are only about $700 but the labor is $2,650. Ouch.

I am fairly new to this, and would love some advise. Do I have other options for fixing this? Someone mentioned removing the panels myself and pressing out the dent (however I think the skin has been stretched), how tough is this? How about scrap yard parts? Is it worth trying to find someone who does freelance to do the work at a lesser cost?

Any info is helpful and appreciated.
automatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Ouch! The dent has been creased and the metal stretched making it impossible to take out and have it looking good. It would be possible to remove the interior panels and try and push the dent out but remember the creases will always be there and it will be wavy.
We have a dent, not as bad as yours, but it too is creased; I named it after the campground where we got it and say hello to it as I walk around Chummy.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatik
I was quoted $4,233.86 to fix the dent by the local Airstream service provider (in Az.) and I just about fainted. As it breaks down, the panels (#21 and #11) are only about $700 but the labor is $2,650.
To be honest, I think you were given a very fair quote for the repair. With your insurance covering the bulk of the cost minus your deductable, it is well worth having the repair done by the pros! I have replaced skin panels before and what you have is nothing to try as a first time project. First you have to consider the awning must be removed. The panels removed and then the window removed. What you do not show is the interior damage. Looks like a deep "dent". You are looking at a lot of man hours. Driling out all the rivits, repacking insulation, inspeting wiring, and the list goes on. Putting it all back together without it leaking is another trick. Save yourself problems and more money later and let the dealer repair your unit.

Good luck and let us all know how you make out!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You would sleep comfortably if you got no further replies. The above answers speak truth at the highest level.

Would it be worth a 2nd guesstimate from Oasis RV down in Tucson? Since you know the segment numbers I'll bet they could give you a ballpark figure over the phone. Email them the picture too. The variable will be what the inside looks like.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Tempe , Arizona
Thanks all...I'll try the second option from Tucson, but it sounds like I better not mess with this one and to get on the phone with the Insurance folk.

Much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Comparison

Automatik,
You have a very good picture, and the factory will give estimates via internet IF you call first, speak with.....I think his name is Chris, and tell him you would like to have an estimate. You then can email the pic to him, and he will send you one. That would be a good comparison. If you are going east anytime in the next year, you might even let them do it. They do a pretty good job. By the way, if you want to have a real shock, ask for an estimate using BUCKED rivets instead of the Olympic rivets. By the way, they will not remove the inside panels if done at the factory. I speak from experience.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatik
Hello all - I am going to post about something that a thread down the list talks about but I only have one dent and I am looking to get the best possible outcome.

We use our Airstream, an 87 Sovereign 29, as a mobile office and sleeper option for when we are out at tracks. Clients often use it as well, so appearance matters.

I was quoted $4,233.86 to fix the dent by the local Airstream service provider (in Az.) and I just about fainted. As it breaks down, the panels (#21 and #11) are only about $700 but the labor is $2,650. Ouch.

I am fairly new to this, and would love some advise. Do I have other options for fixing this? Someone mentioned removing the panels myself and pressing out the dent (however I think the skin has been stretched), how tough is this? How about scrap yard parts? Is it worth trying to find someone who does freelance to do the work at a lesser cost?

Each segments cost about $425.00 plus rivets, sealer etc. Total maybe $1100.00.

Labor for the two segments is 12 to 13 hours.

Added to the above is the window problem. That window has not been available for months. If the metal frame can be moved back into position, then your looking at another 4 hours or so, since the window would have to be removed.

If the glass breaks, that wrap window goes for over $700.00 plus the rivets.

Airstream has not had that window in stock since this June, and they don't expect any until maybe January.

I would be extremely careful as to who you allow to repair the coach.

If the glass doesn't break, then the total repair is about $2500.00, certainly not $4000.00.

How about the inside? Is the headliner damaged or cracked?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I also think you got a fair quote. I'd ask for references to see what kind of work they do as this is major thing.

Also, looking at the top of the window, it looks as if the inner rail supporting it might have also taken one for the team in addition. If you look at the rivet line upper right of the window, the support behind it also looks damaged (bent). It looks deformed (bent), and you might find that once the panel is off that a cross member might need to be replaced which might add to the cost. I could be wrong, I don't have a whole lot of exp with major skin/body work.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would check with Oasis RV in Tucson. I saw a repair job that they did on a trailer that backed into a garage. The damage was extensive and cost $8,000 to repair. You can not tell that the trailer was damaged. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I for one would like more than a couple replies myself as these folks are indeed asking for help .secondly Inland Rv has posted a cost about half including possibly the front window so thats sounds very fair also and they
do indeed know airstream trailers .you can also ask any repair facility for
references of previouse work they have done if desired .And Inland has posted the segment price of about 400 dollars on many other repair threads on this forum for these airstream curved panels.In any event, the highest price ,nor the cheapest price mean the best job ,the best referral is the key.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Is the headliner damaged or cracked?
Non that I can tell Andy. Interesting what you say about the cost. Since I am getting a range of prices I wil lget a second and third quote.

Sounds like everyone is saying to go the pro route, now the only question is who?

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Corona, CA is a nice town to spend some time in. I think that I would drive to Inland RV. That is what I plan to do when I get a big dent.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote