Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honez
I sent the owner this list of questions is there any thing I should ask him?

Appliances: What works and what doesn't. Age if known
Tires: How old and shape.
Axels: What shape (sag, Bearings, Ect)
Leaks: Are there any.
Electrical & plumbing: How is it
Body sag: Is there any rear end sag
Windows & doors: Do they seal, and open and close properly
Floors: is there Rot or any soft spots especially in rear bathroom area.
Frame: any known problems.
Belly skin: Is it intact and not corroded to bad
Brakes: do they work.

Please don't go for the statement, "everything worked, the last time I used it."

Working and working properly are two different things, that are miles apart.

Ask for service records, especially for the brakes.

Check the axles out yourself. It only takes a couple of minutes. Reading the following article, will teach you how. 1974 and older axles are prone to failure, because of the composition of the rubber rods, and especially if the trailer has not moved in a long time.

Dura Torque Axle

How about any LPG leaks?

When was the last time the bearings and brakes were worked on?

Are the shocks leaking?

Look for cracks in the window and door gaskets.

You can bet that the sewer vent pipe gaskets were probably never replaced.

Dents can be sometimes pulled out, but in looking at the photo, you will still see some creases. Depending on the depth of that dent, was anything on the inside pushed away from their original mountings?

Hopes this gives you a little more inspection knowledge.

Andy

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Now wy didn't I thunk that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
here is a quick look at a process I have used with some success
This is the same basic idea as the "Ding King" or "Pops a Dent" as seen on
tv. The only difference is (1) those gizmos use a bar that is supported by arms across the dent and you turn a screw to pull on the dent, and (2) they use a low temp melting goo in a glue gun that pops off the surface pretty easy, sometimes too easy, but is easy to clean up and (3) Yours won't cost you $29.99. I did not take me to long to decide it was easier to put most of the gizmo aside and just use the goo. Looking at your photo the goo would work good with wood too.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Honez sez:
I sent the owner this list of questions is there any thing I should ask him?

Tires: How old and shape.
Tires get old just sitting there. Any tire more that 5 years old, no matter how good it looks is living on borrowed time

Axels: What shape
Most Airstream owners and even RV guys (present company excepted of course) don't even have a clue when their Dura Torque axles are bad. So don't take their word. Assume the axles need to be replaced unless the seller can document the axles are good. All the stuff which is attached to the axles (brakes, bearings, etc) is relatively cheap and easy to replace the axles themselves will cost you some bucks
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
greenville , Texas
Thanks for all your input,
I got the owner to hld it with out the deposit. If all is well with the floor and apliences work is 4k a good price or should i try to bargin more.

Honez
Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Look close....Listen up

Its too much for what your getting. Add up what you will spend after purchase to get it functional. The "worth" of the aggrevation, I am sure is to come, should be factored in there too.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation $ $ $ $ honest HONEZ

For sure check it out
I paid $2,000.00 yup TWO THOUSAND BUCKS for my 1991 34' Classic Limited Edition. This is #8 of the sixty AS made for their 60th Aniversary..... AND I have a project on my hands.
I am replacing the following:
Reefer, rear 8' of the floor cause it had a 8"x 13" soft spot, ALL curtains, all upholstry, all mini blinds,all carpet & tile because PO smoked 12 packs a day & had 2 small dogs that never "went" outside, TV Antenea and a Fantastic roof fan.
After the interior is done then I will get to rebuild the brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, exterior lights and then I will find something else that needs attention.

I fully expect to have about $8,000.00 in it when I get to take the first trip.

So MAKE DARNED SURE that the items you and others have listed do work (as Andy says) VERY WELL.

I am doing this 'cause this is a great way to spend my retirement. Rebuilding an AS. And I am lovin' it....

Have fun. But check it out, very carefuly.

Claude
Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
IMHO - one with working appliances, probably needing tires, possibly axles and brakes, body repair required, I'd not want to pay more than the low two thousands at most. I've seen several over the past year on Craig's list in what would appear to be better physical condition, in the Pacific North West, asking in the 2 to 3K range. However, I've not gone to view them. Some were for sale for a LONG time.

Being very thrifty and doing all of the work myself I got mine up and rolling for about 2.5K after initial purchase. Mine already had a brand new axle, brakes, shocks, tires and rims, propane bottles and regulator and hoses and everything but the water heater functioned after some work to get them into shape.

In fact I didn't check the water heater but accepted the fact that everything worked . The refer and stove worked fine, the furnace needed some attention before we could use it safely. That's fine and expected. But the water heater. It had propane running to it (discovered later that it was plugged with a brass fitting), it had the housing nicely installed and the vent door looks good on it. However, the guts of it were AWOL completely. Sigh, the shell was empty. There was no hot water heater left. I suspect the tank burst and they removed the guts and it was being used to store an air mattress. When the PO's said everything worked they were being a bit enthusiastic.

I'm still happy with what I ended up with, and I have just over 7K in the trailer now. I'd of never paid what I paid though if it needed the axles, wheels, brakes, or body work. I would have deducted the cost of all the components it needed from the asking price and made my offer and walked if they didn't take it. There are a lot of Airstreams for sale and it takes patience and being willing to negotiate to get the one that works for you.

Barry
Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
greenville , Texas
Well I am here in Texas and I look at the trailer in the morning. I will buy the trailer I just hope he will go down in price baised on all the input here. I need a trailer right now to live in. The owner told me that it is ready to use with out any work. I dont want to buy anoother brand, and did not find any units near dallas. How should I approach the inspection? In what order should I look at things. I will offer less baised on what I find. Thanks for the help. I think that the owner got it for 2k and has about 1k into new parts and repairs from talking to him. replaced univolt, new catilitic heater, drapes, matress, refinished bathroom. carpet removed, so floor will be easy to inspect. needs new awning material. That is what hetold me.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
greenville , Texas
I am off to inspect/buy?? the trailer I'll but on my price slasher hat , and hope for a good unit