Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Paul , sorry to hear about this and thank goodness no one was hurt. Especially disapointing when you just got the trailer.

I agree with what everyone is saying here. CAN-AM RV in London is the closest place you can have this repaired properly. Ask to speak to Andy at Can-Am. The corners are formed aluminum and need to be replaced correctly by someone who knows what they are doing. The dents cannot be hammered out.

Don't let the neighbour lay a hand on it - sounds like he is trying to avoid his responsibility by trying to "hose" you into thinking he can fix it.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
This is why we have insurance. It must be repaired by an expert not a neighbour. Can-am is the way to go.
I've had work done there and they are very professional.
Al

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Looks like your neighbour is in the process of putting an addition on his house.
This is definitely not the same as working on aluminum siding.
The trailer panels cannot be straightened, they have to be replaced.
Al
Old 01-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If it is not to late I would call law enforcement ASAP so an official report is generated. This is often required by insurance companies.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Poor comunication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbullet
this happened the other day. my trailer sitting in my driveway when my neighbours brickwall came crashing in on it and leaving me with these not so nice dents. Hard to believe i know. Anyway he says to me he will fix it. When i replied that i know youll fix it i just wonder how? He is a pretty mechanical guy who thinks he will be able to bang them out and i have my doubts about that and under closer inspection it seems that one of the bricks managed to put a cut right through the skin. My question is does anyone know what the cost to replace/repair this would be and how you would go about fixing this. thanks
Hi, newbullet. Sorry to hear about your trailer being damaged. First: his statement to you, "I will fix it". If I said that, that would mean that I would contact my insurance company to get it fixed at a proper repair shop, [I would handle it for you] not that I would actually repair it myself. Or that I would have a proper repair shop fix it out of my pocket, once again, not meaning that I would do it myself. But your statement: "I know you'll fix it" to me, sounds like a slap in the face after trying to do what is right. Anyhow, I wasn't there and I don't know you or your neighbor so the best and only thing to do is to call your insurance company and let them do what you have paid them to do. It was an accident.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Andy is correct. What to do is easy, contact your insurance company. They will know exactly what you should do with regards to his insurance or his liability. Thats why you have insurance...to take care of this sort of thing within the laws and converage of insurances. Get it fixed by a professional...only option. YOUR looking at probably 5,000 dollars worth of damage. I am serious when I say 5 grand at least.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #21

1976 31' Sovereign
San Anselmo , California
I just had similar damge to my 1976 airstream, 31 foot, repaired last year a airstream dealer. They were the same panels. The panel cost was $352 each and $2,000 to replace them.

Dick
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Andy is 100% correct. Don't let a handyman fix your Airstream! Let his insurance company worry about paying for the proper repairs to bring your trailer back to 100% orginal.

Take lots and lots of digital photos, especially those showing how your airstream was properly parked in your yard when his brick wall fell on your trailer.

Take hundreds of photos if you need to, it's inexpensive. Show the inside and out of your trailer, documented everything.

Insist that the repairs be done by certified and qualified Airstream repairmen using factory grade Airstream repair parts. The last thing you want is a grage monkey beating on your airstream.

It's their insurance company's problem to make you 100% whole, to your satisfaction.

If you feel pressured by their adjusters to accept less that a "make you whole offer".... like they want to use "used" parts with a less then factory unlimited warrantee on repairs, remember that your trailer was not built with used parts.

If the insurance company is being nasty, unreasonable or hard to get along with...call a lawyer.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Etobicooke , Ontario
Poor communication is an understatement

Hi Robert and first off thanks for putting in your reply. See for most people when they say "i Will fix it" that would mean that they would make the proper arrangements. Not this guy. When he says that he actually thinks he will bang the dents out and all will be ok. As for my reply and sounding like a slap in the face, one could only hope. Listen if your neighbour had the brick wall of their house fall on to your property while they were renovating and didnt bother to put up any kind of reinforcement to stabilize something like that then i guess a slap in the face is a pretty nice way to be treated. Anyway again thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, newbullet. Sorry to hear about your trailer being damaged. First: his statement to you, "I will fix it". If I said that, that would mean that I would contact my insurance company to get it fixed at a proper repair shop, [I would handle it for you] not that I would actually repair it myself. Or that I would have a proper repair shop fix it out of my pocket, once again, not meaning that I would do it myself. But your statement: "I know you'll fix it" to me, sounds like a slap in the face after trying to do what is right. Anyhow, I wasn't there and I don't know you or your neighbor so the best and only thing to do is to call your insurance company and let them do what you have paid them to do. It was an accident.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
NewBullet,
Sorry about the boo-boos on your baby. I think this is a matter for your insurance guys to sort out, so don't get into a P&*^^ match with your neighbor.

I'm not sure where Etobicooke is, but a great place for restoration is GSM Vehicles in Plattsburgh, NY, just south of Montreal, QC.
Again...sorry!
John / N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #25

Johnson City , Tennessee
My first step would be to go to MY insurance company for advice. That's what you pay them for. And I would definately not let your neighbor touch the AS. You are not at fault and it's your neighbors and inusrance issue.