Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
dent down low

It'll probably be a while before I can work on this but....

My 1968 Overlander has a dent on the curbside in front of the door. It is in the area where the skin 'rolls under' to meet the belly pan. It is below the rubber? molding that is mounted down low?

I need some information about fixing this. I think it is below the level of the trailer floor. Is this a seperate piece or is it continuous with the side skin? How do you get to the back side of it to push it out? I know there is a seam underneath where it meets the belly pan.

Any help will be appreciated.
John Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
John
I think the 68's use a similar "banana wrap" like the 70's vintage.

You can remove it by taking the blue vinyl strip out of the aluminum extrusion, ( might have to remove a screw or rivet at the ends first) Drill out the rivets in the extrusion, remove the extrusion, drill out the rivets that hold the wrap to the upper shell and the belly pan. Then is should come off, but there may be a rivet concealed behind the next wrap. After you finally get it off you can GENTLY!!! start at the outside edges of the dent and press with a rubber covered hammer handle, it takes a while and you want to work it very slowwwwly so you don't stretch the metal. I have a fair sized dent in mine also, you can see it by clicking on my photos button at the bottom of the post. At the moment it is the least of my worries.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Bowie , Texas
That is exactly the area I am talking about. It also extends into the panel just forward of the door which is definitely one piece with the side.

So I think you are saying the lower strip comes off? This would be good news. Are the 68s the same?

Thanks,

JMG
John Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:47 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
John,
I have never seen a 68 up close and personal But from the pictures they look like they have the same aluminum structure as my unit. I know that the interiors are different and the windows, and they don't have gray water tanks But other than that I think they are pretty much the same. The only way you can get a dent in the side panel would be to remove the interior panel and work it from there. Depending on the severity of the dent you might try one of the "Paintless Dent Removal" companies? I have never seen it done so I don't know if it work in this application or not.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
I used to have a 68. I can't remember that there was much difference in the lower skin on any of them. What I have noticed is that that area seems to be a great place to get bumped into with a push mower!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, our 67 has several of these ugly sobs. One of these days ...

Lynn