Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Decorative Plate to Cover Damage?

Well, you see it's like this: While returning home from a camping trip and when turning in to a gas station with a steep driveway, the head of a two by four that I had in the bed of my truck slammed into the front of my trailer, punching a hole in the skin. Very, very sad, as my Rosie's exterior was pert near flawless before.
Now, the dilemma: I don't want to patch the hole with just any ol' piece of aluminum and rivets...what I would like to do (I think) is to devise a name plate of aluminum and center it under the front window and cleverly over the hole using rivets to make it like its supposed to be there all along. I would like to have color on the plate.
Does anyone have any suggestions on who/how to do such a thing? I'm figuring the plate would have to be 14" long by 4" to center it properly.

You guys are great!
AMJ
ironfem200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
When life hands you lemons.......

......................MAKE LEMONADE!!!!

Excellent idea!!!

Why don't you check with Vintage Trailer Supply to see if they have a vintage repro name plate that would fit your needs. If they don't, call them and see if they can help in other ways.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
14' X 4" sounds like you could mount a few taps on there and offer adult beverage to fellow forum rally folk!!
Or you could have a nice nameplate waterjet cut and center that baby up.
Or a Moxie Decal
You really should do what makes you happy!It's your rig!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rosie

Why not an oval with "Rosie" and your names in small print under it..... sort of like the airforums decal?

PS, sorry about your boo-boo.

Paula
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Would 5x24 work?
eBay Motors: Airstream Drive Street Sign *Brand New* (item 360015759595 end time Jan-25-08 16:43:10 PST)

Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not move the "Airstream" sign to cover the damage? If it is over the window, put it under it.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Custom Artwork!

You could get someone like a metal stamping or finishing shop, or even some local artist...to stamp your handle on it. I tried to find a large drawing (licensed) of Yosemite Sam on the Camel form the Bugs Bunny cartoon to put on my trailer....no luck so far. Some of that could get expensive real quick, but look into it anyway. Go nuts--make a statement-why not!

This is an opportunity for you to do far better than my small logo aspiration. Aluminum should be an easy metal for someone with talent (that is not me!) to make you a cool custom plate. You have to sink some time & $ into it....a couple bucks more and who knows.

Option #2 use a mylar gasket and use enameld steel with art work painted on it.........? just a couple thoughts.

I am of course sorry to hear about your wounded streamer. Wth some TC it can heal just fine. Whatever you do please post it. Best wishes on the repair!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
I've seen those guys on Las Vegas street shops, but they must exist everywhere. They have prepared plates and computerized graphics with laser cutter. They'll program any sign to the plate size (they have many sizes and shapes) and cut it from chosen color self-stick plastic.
That makes sign with life expectancy of at least 8 years. The street sign size plate for my house cost me about $25 couple years ago.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It sounds to me like this would be a great place to put an aluminum plate with your AirForums # and other info loaded onto it.

Sad to have the accident happen but at least it wasn't worse than it is.

Make sure you post a picture of what you end up doing so the rest of us have an idea of what works if we have a similar problem to deal with.

Barry
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Similar Idea used for Bambi hole

Sorry for the damage...good idea for a patch to cover up...no matter what you do to cover it up, it will still be a cover-up....that's not all bad....why go with aluminum? Always go with what you like and make a statement. I put my daughters name on a heart shaped patch that was located on her Bambi where two antenna holes were located. You could use a shape that tells people about your hobby(fish, animal,or just your name that shows ownership). Just a few ideas, please post what you do so others can enjoy.
Attached Images

Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Your's forever? or more temporary?

Just wonderin' -

Your's forever? or more temporary?

Might impact your 'patch' and what it might look like, be shaped like, what it might say, or ???

Just got the noodle cranking, and want you to be sure to have the same when you consider this 'patch'....

Heck, this could be the "family heirloom" you have been looking to leave.... or not.

Again, just thinkin'

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Kind of like a tattoo!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas