Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Curb Feelers?

With the high cost of replacing skins, or worse yet the upper curved end panels, I've got to ask, why doesn't someone invent or reinvent some kind of proximity warning system? I dinged the bumper of my 2005 22 ft CCD while backing up at night, which wouldn't have happened if I'd had something like a curb feeler. The hillbilly who put a small crease in my 25 FB SE ... well that's just bad luck, my choice was risk him hitting me or drive over the side of a mountain. A backup camera is nice, but it's limited view. I'd like to hear a nice BBBBBEEEEEP! if I was backing too close to an overhanging limb, etc.

Comments? Suggestions? Inventions?

Paula Ford
Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
There are proximity warning systems that fit on or in the bumpers of many late model cars. I believe that there are aftermarket versions. Of course we would also need something up high enough to warn about the tree limbs, etc.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
I have them on my f250 and I drive it into the urban jungle all the time... I parallel park her downtown.. And she goes to the ball game the mall everywhere...it is a freaking huge vehicle…but it’s easy to drive.. I back into every parking spot. I would not buy another truck without sensors..The AS would require is a wiring job and hole mounts into the rear bumper...GOT CASH?.. It wouldn’t be a cheap as an after market project.. However new models could incorporate for not much more… I'd buy it for the AS...
I back my AS into covered storage and park it within 4-6 inches of a wall... Sensors would ease that pain...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Rig it up? Garage Pro BACK-UP SENSOR SYSTEMS : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

Can't use this version with metal a bumper though. If anyone gives it a try let us know how it works!
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Boy this thread resurects a 'childhood memory'. My first car was a '48 Ford sedan. I got it in 1954 when in high school. Anyway, of course I wanted to spiff it up a bit. I wanted the wide white wall tires that were popular but could not afford such a luxury. Grand Auto carried white wall tire paint and that I could spring for along with a couple of curb feelers. Well when backing into a parrallel parking space I would almost always touch a curb. I have always been hard of hearing so the curb feeler did not scape that noticably when backing into a space. A touch of the tire to a curb was all it took to require some more tire paint for touch up. I invented a way to make the feeler complete a 6 volt (?) circuit and light a red light that I placed on the inside package tray (back window). I placed the light there because that is the way I was facing when backing up. It worked like a charm! I saved a lot of money on tire paint. My friends all clamored for me to patent and market my "backup light". I should have listened. I probably would have a '07 AS. today instead of a '66.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote