Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Sealtech testing

Kevin, I think you would be much more impressed with the testing that Airstream of Arkansas did on Soldiermedic (Steve's) trailer. It is listed in his blog. Go to Members List tab above on the toolbar and search for all posts by Soldiermedic. Once you click on any of his posts you will see his link to the blog on the repairs that AofA did to his trailer. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Kevin, I think you would be much more impressed with the testing that Airstream of Arkansas did on Soldiermedic (Steve's) trailer. It is listed in his blog. Go to Members List tab above on the toolbar and search for all posts by Soldiermedic. Once you click on any of his posts you will see his link to the blog on the repairs that AofA did to his trailer. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
Agree in the concept. The next question to ask is why are dealers using different methods to diagnose and locate leaks? Why does mothership not use it? Any particular reason?

I think it would be prudent for mothership to evaluate all the methods (both developed at used at mothership and those by dealers and those commonly used in the industry, and make a recommendation to what test process / equipment to use moving forward. It may be a combination of tests, but some evaluation to be consistent would be nice.

But to my original point, I don't understand the difference in testing methodology used at the service center as compared to what is used in production. The adequacy and test limits are completely different, yet the trailer in for service should perform without leaks as designed when it left the factory when new, so why the difference in test regimen?

Now I understand things can shift and change when a trailer travels down the road, but if find a leak in the area that has been "tested", I will be sorely disappointed as this may have been avoided with the adequate testing at the service department in the first place.

Just my opinion, but open to any schools of thought I may miss.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Airstream will never build a watertight trailer until they quit depending on water test and get their processes in control. We at GM didn't quit building leakers until we followed the imports and quit water testing.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
I assume yours is finished now.
I saw cowboy leave this morning and your unit was completed.
Mine was finished this afternoon. We depart in the morning. No damage just a floor replacement from carpet to pergo and some old age repairs. Mine is a 2002 classic.
I saw yours being worked on and the fellows here did an impressive job.

Good luck
dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebee View Post
I assume yours is finished now.
I saw cowboy leave this morning and your unit was completed.
Mine was finished this afternoon. We depart in the morning. No damage just a floor replacement from carpet to pergo and some old age repairs. Mine is a 2002 classic.
I saw yours being worked on and the fellows here did an impressive job.

Good luck
dale
Hi Dale,

Nope, not quite finished yet. I was gonna post more pics but the forum software has me at an exceed limit so I was too tired to use photobucket to host all the pics I had so I'll have to wait till the forum bugs are fixed or when I get more time to upload in photobucket.

They did start to insulate the interior again, so I think the leaks up front have been isolated and addressed, but I wasn't there when the shop closed as I was in the tour again today to see the difference between last week's shutdown to this week's production.

Also waiting on some other little items to be completed, minor changes and warranty work.

I'm hoping we can get back in the unit for tomorrow night and get back to Texas, but at the same time, I want things done right the first time, so.... we'll see.
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle View Post
Airstream will never build a watertight trailer until they quit depending on water test and get their processes in control. We at GM didn't quit building leakers until we followed the imports and quit water testing.
Hi Jimmickle,

It has been recently pointed out to me that trailer manufacturing in general is about 20 years behind in automotive technologies and manufacturing techniques. I'd have to agree with that.

That being said, I do appreciate the complexities and challenges in taking solid aluminum panels and making thousands of holes in it for looks and style, so leaks are bound to happen.

I just question if we can evolve the current testing practices and procedures to be more effective and efficient to better identify and address leaks and increase customer satisfaction and perception.

The trailer in it's basic design has evolved little since it's origins, however, I do think that testing, as part of quality control and verification, should evolve to continually to improve and reduce defects and known issue generation on generation.

Part of this can be accomplished with evolution of tools, processes, and procedures. That is why I question the current water testing method at the service center. There may be some good reason for their current practice, but I don't know it.
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #107
_

. , .
hi bandit

i agree with jim...

in reality the factory water testing IS silly, outdated and an accommodation to the "every unit is different" build philosophy ...

and many holes and other surface breaches happen way after the rain booth.

just LOOK at some of the shell things done after the water test...

as for taking service center unit over there, well imagine the logistics...

they'd have to STOP production and MOVE units just to get a customer unit IN the shower...

the service center and factory are 2 VERY DIFFERENT operations, with different objectives, bosses and routines...

while the pressurized testing is impressive and finds LOTS of air leaks...

not everyone in the a/s business (the experts) agree it's the best method...

since some of those air leaks NEVER allow significant water entry...

after a really good pressurized testing and sealant application imagine driving a few hundred miles and retesting...

there would most surely be MORE air pressure leaks in NEW locations...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi bandit

i agree with jim...

in reality the factory water testing IS silly, outdated and an accommodation to the "every unit is different" build philosophy ...

and many holes and other surface breaches happen way after the rain booth.

just LOOK at some of the shell things done after the water test...

as for taking service center unit over there, well imagine the logistics...

they'd have to STOP production and MOVE units just to get a customer unit IN the shower...

the service center and factory are 2 VERY DIFFERENT operations, with different objectives, bosses and routines...

while the pressurized testing is impressive and finds LOTS of air leaks...

not everyone in the a/s business (the experts) agree it's the best method...

since some of those air leaks NEVER allow significant water entry...

after a really good pressurized testing and sealant application imagine driving a few hundred miles and retesting...

there would most surely be MORE air pressure leaks in NEW locations...

cheers
2air'
Hi 2'air

Look at Ford's lately? 2008 SDs are now at employee pricing to get them off the lots....

I'm not suggesting to have my unit tested in the both in production, but suggesting that the tool/jig they currently use in the service center be more reflective of boundary conditions, such as driving in hard rain, etc, which is why I suggested evolving the tool to have increased pressure.

I understand the different objectives, of the 2 shops (manufacturing and service), and did not question that. I question the adequacy of the tool used in service.

Perhaps there is data that supports the fact the current service setup is adequate, who knows. My Inital perception is that the current setup does not reflect real world conditions where leaks were shown, i.e. in heavy rain while driving.
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #109
_

. , .
ok i c your point bandit...

some days the wind blows really hard in j/c and IF they do the lawn sprinkler testing then...

well the water does move harder!

imagine having the sprinkler test in jan/feb...

it would be an ice n snow cone maker!

cheers

2air'

btw when i purchase the 05 ford the dealer give me 'x' plan pricing which is part of the employee scheme...

all i had to say was i knew someone, who knew someone, that worked for ford...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #110
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, my unit, during production went through that water testing machine. I don't know if it found any leaks during the test, but I can tell you of the one it missed.

I think the test is important given the climate in which has been pointed out (that RV building is 20 years behind the auto industry). My thought is they are even further than 20 years behind.

Now I know Jackson Center would say, yea, but our workers are artisans. We'll, when you are paying upward of $40k+ for the average Airstream, that becomes more of a conv excuse, than an answer.

Back to my unit, I had to caulk my streetside wheel well. Why? We'll during the build, someone forgot to put ANY caulk in the well trim. No leaks while parked, but if towed in the rain......

The water test unit on the production floor, if you've ever seen that unit, does not do a really great all around test. If it did, that might have been found, or at the very least, go figure, someone takes a hose to the area of the wheel well, since that is also exposed to water and check. No where during that test I saw when I was at the factory did they test the wheel wells at all and I am not sure they do to this day.

The unit they tested your machine with, I would have had even less trust in because that doesn't seem to have the pressures that the unit on the production floor uses.

IMHO, the bottom line, and I hate to sound like a broken record, is quality. If you take your time and build them right, it is true, water testing would not be needed, but more of a PR or safety net. If they take their time and build them slowly, and listen to the customers, the money and success follows. Case in point, if you read some of the QC threads, you can see that some issues have crossed at least 5 model years. I know the folks at Airstream read these forum pages regularly and, then there is the warranty claim data, so there are just no excuses....and don't even get me restarted on the corrosion issues. These have been well documented since at least 2002 or 2003.

So, the Reader's Digest version of all this is that the water test is just a symbol of an overall larger problem, not just with Airstream, but with the industry in general. I read a comment on the corrosion thread today that was interesting. Could you imagine what would happen to the RV industry if the Japanese got into the RV business?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Airstream is denial when It comes to leaks, which seems to be one of the biggest complaints. When are they going to start sealing in between the panels during assembly, This would absolutely stop the bulk of the leaking problems
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Without comment on current practices, I can only say that the white sealant AS used in the mid-70's, on the inside of the panel seams was top notch!

I've been replacing all the vents with new Fantastic Fan vents in our 78 Ambassador, and when I'm removing the old vents, I find the white sealant still 'playable' and in place after 30 years! And no leaks! Our trailer has been stored outside for many years, and I'm amazed that the sealant hasn't deteriorated during all the hot and cold weather cycles it's been subjected too!

Maybe AS was in tune more with 'Quality' than 'Quantity', 30 years ago...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
But to my original point, I don't understand the difference in testing methodology used at the service center as compared to what is used in production. The adequacy and test limits are completely different, yet the trailer in for service should perform without leaks as designed when it left the factory when new, so why the difference in test regimen?

Now I understand things can shift and change when a trailer travels down the road, but if find a leak in the area that has been "tested", I will be sorely disappointed as this may have been avoided with the adequate testing at the service department in the first place.

Just my opinion, but open to any schools of thought I may miss.[/quote]

Hi, Bambi_Bandit. I think the answer to you question about the different water tests done are: First, they are only retesting the repaired area. [or areas of concern] Second, I believe the new units are water tested empty; Without an interior installed yet. Third, repair shops are told "Not to sell warranty" so they don't want to find or make new leaks in your trailer. Note: these are my thoughts and opinions.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #114
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Hi, Bambi_Bandit. I think the answer to you question about the different water tests done are: First, they are only retesting the repaired area. [or areas of concern] Second, I believe the new units are water tested empty; Without an interior installed yet. Third, repair shops are told "Not to sell warranty" so they don't want to find or make new leaks in your trailer. Note: these are my thoughts and opinions.
In Bandit's case, the opened up the interior to buck rivet most of the new sheetmetal. I would have thought that the water test would have been done (and maybe it was) before the inner skins were replaced. With this repair, Bandit basically had as close as could be expected to a vacant interior in the area of repair, on the inside.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
In Bandit's case, the opened up the interior to buck rivet most of the new sheetmetal. I would have thought that the water test would have been done (and maybe it was) before the inner skins were replaced. With this repair, Bandit basically had as close as could be expected to a vacant interior in the area of repair, on the inside.
Silvertwinkie is correct. The unit was buck riveted to the interior panels were open (at least the front area where the repair was done) and water tested.

I've since had a chance to talk to Dave Shumann about the testing process, and do understand better their thought process behind the current practice. They also do have that pressure testing machine here too, and can do it if needed. I am hopeful and confident that they did find the leaks and address them, but I'm always leary of the strong Texas storms and driving down the road in one too...

Anyways, I guess it was my own fault for deviating on my own thread. Back to the pics and progree of Cosmo at JC, now that I can post pics again... (and bought the memory card with the camera this time)
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Day 6 PM

Leak testing continues, although I questioned the adequacy of their test setup used in the service dept., the leaks are showing and being addressed.... There were a few more than Don would have liked to seen, but he found them and fixed them (to the best of what he and I saw).

Re-insulating the voids began as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6043209 (Large).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	61868   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6043206 (Large).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	61869  

Name:	P6043207 (Large).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	61870   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6043208 (Large).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	61871  

WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Day 7

This is the day the re-insulation was completed, and interior panels began to be installed...

This is also the day I forgot the memory card for the camera.......so no pics today...

The great folks in service tried their hardest to get me out that afternoon, but it was a bit too much.

Between finding and testing for water leaks, fishing for wires in the overhead locker above the bed, and other misc warranty work, it was best not to rush them and stay another night at the hotel...
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Day 8

Interior walls completed, furniture back in, and drapes going back up.. (I have the classic day/night shades instead of the normal CCD roller blinds and curtains. (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f485...pes-35146.html)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6063231 (Large).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	61872   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6063232 (Large).JPG
Views:	100
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	61873  

Name:	P6063233 (Large).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	61874   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6063234 (Large).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	61875  

WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #119
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Kevin,

Everything looking good!

Get back on the road soon!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Some of the other things done while we were here...

Here's a few other things we did that I can share in pics.
  1. Baffled furnace vent under the dinette. I hated how the furnace (due to it's location) pushed so much heat to the rear dinette area while the front bed was cold. The climate control thermostat was also in the front bedroom so the furnace ran too hot in the rear to get to the set point on the thermostat up front. Airstream's fix it to replace the vent under the dinette with a baffled one, open or close as needed. We'll see how well this works come wintertime...
  2. Updated the Dometic Air distribution box to the new style. This is what is shipping on the 2009 models. It's a bit lower profile, and allows air distribution to 4 directions versus the 2 in the previous design. It also has a center vent that will literally drop all the air down right under you. Great for me to cool off ASAP after I hook up to a campsite in the Texas summer!!
  3. Updated the 30A power inlets to the Marico Chrome for a nice shiny look (both the front Generator prep one and the one on the street side.
  4. Updated clearance lights to LEDs like the 2009 models.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6063246 (Large).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	61876   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6063247 (Large).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	61877  

Name:	P6063242 (Large).JPG