Old 05-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Wow, doesn't Airstream water-test those units anymore? What does $60K buy us nowadays?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Blessing or Curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
As I sit here at the RV park in Sikeston, the storm moves a bit further south and east than early predictions...I get heavy rain mixed with - you guessed it, hail...

Sounds like pea sized, but the storms not done yet. Will have to check that in the morning....

Oh yeah - to add insult to injury - I find 2 leaks... I guess since the trailer is always stored under cover, and we've never been out in a heavy rain since we've bought it, we never knew...

Started to see a STREAM running down the front bedroom screen, down the wall, then onto the bed platform and bed on the curb side...Matress and platform are getting soaked...

Ran outside in the RAIN and light HAIL to see what the source could be.. found the top roadside panel and center panel (where AIRSTREAM is written) has a 1/2 gap... no silkaflex, just open gap...

The only thing I happened to have in my toolbox was an old tube of clear silicon.

Anyone ever try standing on the front frame (and Hensley strut) in rain and hail, attempting to towel dry an area (with little results) only to put some caulk down on wet aluminum?

Leak reduced to 30% of what it was before... I'll have to live with that for now.

Also found the rear curbside wrap around bottom track wet. Don't see any water track or running down the inside of the glass, but water is collecting on the bottom track... ARG!!!

I need a drink....I tall drink...
The heavy rains was a blessing or curse - depends on how you look at it. It turns out we never had Cosmo in the rain as strong as last night, and thus we found (7) SEVEN leaks.
  1. One on the window above the bed as mentioned above
  2. One INSIDE the walls between the roadside wrap window and the curbside wall window. I could hear the "drip drip" of water hitting wet insulation, and water seeping out the inside panels
  3. One on the Streetside window above the sofa lounge
  4. One on rear curbside wrap window
  5. One on the rear roadside wrap window
  6. 2 on the rear center window.
Then, today, on the way to JC thru the rains in Illinois, I have a leak from the fantasitc fan above the bed, AND a leak coming from the panel above the bed towards the end of the bed by one of the halogen lights...

I guess that makes (9) total leaks that JC will have to address when I'm here!!

I'm sitting at the terra port now - semi-hoping for rain to come hard so I can show Airstream the leaks in the morning.....

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
That many leaks is kind of surprising. I've had mine out and driven in some very hard rain and never experienced any leaks.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Then, today, on the way to JC thru the rains in Illinois, I have a leak from the fantasitc fan above the bed, AND a leak coming from the panel above the bed towards the end of the bed by one of the halogen lights...
I had a mystery leak from one of my two fantastic fans while camping in Austin last July. Close inspection revealed a pin sized gap where the Vulkem was applied. ( by me, no less)
Apparently that was enough to cause a drip-drip-drip right above my bed...most annoying.
I feel for you, trust me..
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Kevin, my 27FB had exactly three leaks upon delivery, and those would have gone unnoticed had it not been for torrential and driving rain in Arkansas when I picked it up. Fortunately, no others have been found once those were plugged. I'm confident that if you can communicate your leaks to the factory, they will get it fixed. Does the mothership have a way to pressure test the trailer like the SealTech pressure test?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Kevin, my 27FB had exactly three leaks upon delivery, and those would have gone unnoticed had it not been for torrential and driving rain in Arkansas when I picked it up. Fortunately, no others have been found once those were plugged. I'm confident that if you can communicate your leaks to the factory, they will get it fixed. Does the mothership have a way to pressure test the trailer like the SealTech pressure test?
I spoke to the Airstream tech this AM. They will "shower" it with a device similar to that used in production, but outside. It "dumps a much a gallons per hour for 45 min" and they should see any leaks from it.

They statated that they will do all leak checks after replacing the hail damage panels...

Does Gene at Airstream of AR have a Sealtech pressure tester? Hmmm. If so I may need to stop there on the way home from JC...

Kevin
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Yep, he does.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I guess we've been lucky. No leaks except one of the storage compartment doors and that only leaks when being towed in the rain. It will be fixed under warranty.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You know if I remember correctly, the leak test occurs prior to any of the add on's. It's done before the roof top hatches, air conditioner, skylights, TV antenna, radio antenna, awning, just to name a few are even done. If you watched that program "Made in America" as the trailer was in the water shower, the inside shot of the ceiling showed that the roof was fully intact with no cuts it in yet.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well, another Spring, and another massive hail storm in Austin.

Still raining too hard to head outside and see what might have happened to the Overlander. From inside the house, it sounded bad. Really bad.

And there are cars with smashed out windshields all over the place in my area, though none along my street...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #39
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Well, another Spring, and another massive hail storm in Austin.

Still raining too hard to head outside and see what might have happened to the Overlander. From inside the house, it sounded bad. Really bad.

And there are cars with smashed out windshields all over the place in my area, though none along my street...

Understand that there was 2' of hail on the ground in Marble Falls. None here in Georgetown. Our AS is housed in a space very similar to Kevin's in the original post of this thread.

SRW
Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
We had bigger than golf ball size hail here. The Overlander definitely has lots of dings all along the North-facing roof panel. The Tahoe also got hit pretty hard, some dings in the hood before I was able to get a blanket on it.

Luckily, my wife had the convertible at work still, so no damage to it, or more importantly, to her.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Austin , Texas
M.... Bummer! ok here in Stiner Ranch!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I'll pass along a tip I got from an old aircraft mechanic a long time ago. It is one I've never tried, but I was told it works sometimes.

Let the trailer (or airplane) sit in the hot summer sun until the metal is really hot, then touch a piece of dry ice to the dent. The sudden cooling might pop the dent out.