Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
That is terrible damage. Do you have insurance for such casualties?
Looking at your pictures, I doubt that the dimples will completely come out by heat cycling.
On the other hand, you cna still use the trailer and have fun with it. Now there's no particular reason to be panicky about rock damage on teh highway.
Still, I feel for you. Your trailer is a substantial investment, and this damage just totally blows. Especially in light of the fact that you rent generous covered storage..

Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
That Sucks!

We'll be crossing the storm belt next month on our way to Bozeman from Florida. Encountering a severe storm is our greatest fear for the trip. Weather radio will be on scan all the way.

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Update 9-16-08

Just spoke to Chris Burch at Jackson Center. Based on the verbal explanation of damage (I have the action to e-mail detailed pics), and the age of the trailer, his recommendation is to have the trailer buck riveted as original when it left the factory.

Knowing this was a more expensive, complex, and time consuming process, I asked how insurance companies had historically reacted to this recommendation. His response was that they were "OK", as long as the repair did not exceed the value of the trailer (for obvious reasons), and that this recommendations was primarily for newer trailers that needed body repair.

I then asked Chris for his opinion on what who was the best insurance company to deal with when it came to repairs of this nature, and he said USAA, commenting that that adjuster had been to the facility many times and understands the process and different rivets, etc.....

I have Foremost, with the "total replacement coverage" for the first 5 years. I made a call to them to open a claim yesterday afternoon, and an adjuster still has not been assigned to me yet, nor have I received a call from them to discuss next steps...

I haven't had a chance to talk to my dealer about the repairs yet, but leaning toward the buck riveting at mother ship versus the Olympic rivets at the dealership.

Any opinions on this?
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
There have been some threads on here about a lot of those hail dents will come out by themselves. Somebody ask Andy at Inland RV.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Just spoke to Chris Burch at Jackson Center. Based on the verbal explanation of damage (I have the action to e-mail detailed pics), and the age of the trailer, his recommendation is to have the trailer buck riveted as original when it left the factory.
he is the one that would know..
Quote:

I haven't had a chance to talk to my dealer about the repairs yet, but leaning toward the buck riveting at mother ship versus the Olympic rivets at the dealership.

Any opinions on this?
Yes take it to the factory if at all possible. My trailer has been there twice for panel repairs. They did a excelent job much faster than most dealers.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We had two panels replaced on our Safari at the factory when it was just two months old. The insurance paid for both (separate incidents, one involved a short turn and a guard rail, oops, and the other involved a deer at dusk,) and I'm glad they did. The two replacement panels were cheap enough, but the labor to remove the interior to get to them and put it back was what was so expensive. However, you cannot tell there was ever any damage and the aluminum is a perfect match to what was originally used. We have had absolutely no leaks as a result of the repair either. Well worth the two trips to Ohio to drop off and pick up.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Update

Well we finally get the adjust to contact us - and he sets an appt for this weekend at our storage lot, since he says he has 2 units to see there anyways...

In the meantime, I've got an estimate completed (via pictures) from Jackson Center, and one in the works from my dealer.

Main difference between the 2 estimates is that JC's will be for Buck rivets, and dealers is olympic...

I'm hoping you folks who have gone thru the "hail damage / insurance" route can chime in with your experience and let me know if you have any pointers with the meeting with the adjuster? Should I bring a Video camera? Points to make when discussing repair options? etc.

Many of you will enjoy the nice long upcoming weekend, I will most likely be making my way to JC... toting my slightly bruised Cosmo behind me... I've always wanted to go to the factory, but not under these circumstances....
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm curious, do you get an allowance for transportation to do the repairs. you could ask the insurance company if the hauler is bonded. that should get the conversation rolling!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
i'm curious, do you get an allowance for transportation to do the repairs. you could ask the insurance company if the hauler is bonded. that should get the conversation rolling!
Hi Richinny,

To my knowledge, they do not cover transportation to the repair facility if the unit can be "driven safely".

Just like a car going in for body shop repairs after an accident, they will tow the car into the shop if it is not "drivable" or safe condition, but if it is, you need to get it there on your own.

I can get it fixed anywhere I want, but It's on my dime to get it to any shop... Strike that - not "Dime" anymore - its more like large wad of cash and credit cards for diesel fuel....
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 05-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
I can get it fixed anywhere I want, but It's on my dime to get it to any shop... Strike that - not "Dime" anymore - its more like large wad of cash and credit cards for diesel fuel....

Hey Kevin, we've got some large, plastic containers you can use to carry the cash in...

What really p*sses me off filling up is when the stations set the pumps to cut off at $50-75... End up having to re-swipe the card and start over... As if $50 is going to do more than wet the inside of the tank now...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Hey Kevin, we've got some large, plastic containers you can use to carry the cash in...

What really p*sses me off filling up is when the stations set the pumps to cut off at $50-75... End up having to re-swipe the card and start over... As if $50 is going to do more than wet the inside of the tank now...
Yup, in past years the only time I ever hit the $75 limit is when I was filling up my truck and boat at the same time. Now, I hit it every single time I simply fill the truck.

Kevin-- again, so sorry about your "loss." My first thoughts during the storm really were about all of you A/S owners here in Austin. I'm already lining up covered storage for when I get one of my own.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Update - On te way to JC Mothership

Wife and I and the 2 "kids" left Austin Sat evening for JC. Currently in Sikeston, MO, waiting out a storm as it brushes NE of us over South Central IL...

We plan to be in JC by tomorrow eve, staying at the terra port for the night.

Insurance (Foremost) did a nice screw up job in handling the claim so far. They assigned it to an adjuster who was not an adjuster, and the real adjuster never contacted us... who is currently on vacation...

Now that the a field rep as finally come to take photos, we've told Foremost we already had estimates and have chosen the factory for repairs. Now the final piece will be for Foremost and the adjuster to agree on the final cost of repairs BEFORE anything can begin. I'm just trying to save time by being at the factory for all of this to happen in real time, and to allow Chris Burch at the service center to start up as soon as this Foremost BS is completed...

I'll document the repair in another thread...
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
When I had the damage to my outer and inner fender wells, State Farm sent out someone to take pictures but never sent out an adjuster. I had sent pictures to the factory and received a quote based on those pictures. State Farm just went with the quote because they don't have much to compare it to.

Try to take the factory tour while there. It is quite interesting and if Don is your tour guide, he is a hoot!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
More hail...

Quote:
Wife and I and the 2 "kids" left Austin Sat evening for JC. Currently in Sikeston, MO, waiting out a storm as it brushes NE of us over South Central IL...

We plan to be in JC by tomorrow eve, staying at the terra port for the night.

Insurance (Foremost) did a nice screw up job in handling the claim so far. They assigned it to an adjuster who was not an adjuster, and the real adjuster never contacted us... who is currently on vacation...

Now that the a field rep as finally come to take photos, we've told Foremost we already had estimates and have chosen the factory for repairs. Now the final piece will be for Foremost and the adjuster to agree on the final cost of repairs BEFORE anything can begin. I'm just trying to save time by being at the factory for all of this to happen in real time, and to allow Chris Burch at the service center to start up as soon as this Foremost BS is completed...

I'll document the repair in another thread...
As I sit here at the RV park in Sikeston, the storm moves a bit further south and east than early predictions...I get heavy rain mixed with - you guessed it, hail...

Sounds like pea sized, but the storms not done yet. Will have to check that in the morning....

Oh yeah - to add insult to injury - I find 2 leaks... I guess since the trailer is always stored under cover, and we've never been out in a heavy rain since we've bought it, we never knew...

Started to see a STREAM running down the front bedroom screen, down the wall, then onto the bed platform and bed on the curb side...Matress and platform are getting soaked...

Ran outside in the RAIN and light HAIL to see what the source could be.. found the top roadside panel and center panel (where AIRSTREAM is written) has a 1/2 gap... no silkaflex, just open gap...

The only thing I happened to have in my toolbox was an old tube of clear silicon.

Anyone ever try standing on the front frame (and Hensley strut) in rain and hail, attempting to towel dry an area (with little results) only to put some caulk down on wet aluminum?

Leak reduced to 30% of what it was before... I'll have to live with that for now.

Also found the rear curbside wrap around bottom track wet. Don't see any water track or running down the inside of the glass, but water is collecting on the bottom track... ARG!!!

I need a drink....I tall drink...

WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155