Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Thanks Phillip. I appreciate the encouraging words. Some of this repair business is sort of like pulling your own molars. As soon as you pull hard enough to make any progress, the pain gets so bad that you have to stop and have a period of recovery! Certainly not for the faint of heart!

Although, I will have to say that once you figure out how you're going to approach the repairs and formulate a plan, everything gets much easier. I'm not nearly through yet, but I'm through a lot of the worst. Doing the prep work for each phase is harder than doing the actual repair.

Steve

Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Vivian,
About 70% of the problems that I'm having are due to the fact that the trailer was improperly repaired. There are still some design and construction quality issues that have caused problems. But these design and construction issues are not nearly so serious as the improper repair.
Thanks, Steve. I think ours is OK because the corner with the slight buckle is at the head of a twin bed, and I have pulled up the mattress and supporting plywood sheet several times looking at the storage space under there. I think I would have noticed darkened, damaged, or watermarked plywood subflooring in that corner. At least I hope I would have. It's too heavy to do it by myself, so I'll have to wait until I can get my husband involved. Still a scary thought, though. Hope your repairs are going well.

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Vivian,
When you do get around to further investigation, you might want to stick an icepick into the wood sub-floor in several places. Assuming that you have carpet, you can stick the icepick right through the carpet and pad and it should not show at all. You need to stick the icepick into several areas so that you have a reference since the icepick may penetrate the subfloor (plywood/oriented strand board) to some degree and still be sound and intact.

Regards,

Steve