Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Bedford , Texas
Can I fix this almost new Airstream body damage myself?

I have found a late model Airstream that I would like to buy and repair. I am very capable of the type of repairs that might be needed but I have no experience with buying the replacement parts for Airstreams. The trailer is almost new and has rear end damage that will require replacement of the lower right rear panels and the adjacent window frame and door frames pictured. There is no floor or subframe damage to the trailer.

For those of you that may have done something along this line or researched such a repair, how costly might the parts be.? And, how easily available are they if I want to do the work myself?

Could someone give me a ballpark on parts cost and hours of labor possible to complete the repair in a workman like manner? I can't take this unit to a dealer for any kind of quote. So, I have to guesstimate this on my own. Any comments would be welcome.

I'm near retirement and don't want to pay retail and love to work on "bargains"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirstreamDamage.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	110008  

Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have never done body work on a trailer, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
If you send an email picture to Airstream Service dept. at Jackson Center, OH they can give you an idea of costs involved. I believe they charge about $1500/panel to replace, that includes parts and labor. From their price you can figure what it might cost you to do it.
You might also want to consider just replacing the whole back of the trailer. The whole aft section is a one piece unit minus the bumper when it is fitted to the main body at the factory on the assembly line. Maybe they will sell you the whole section? I have no idea what the whole thing would cost or if it can be had.
Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
How is Your Health?

Questions to ask Yourself:
Strong back, strong mind?
Are you up for stress?
Will the boss, your wife, help?
What does she think?
How much do you think it will cost, double it.
How much is the unit as is compared to a reasonable replacement?
Does it all add up?

Please, let us know how it unfolds, we are interested.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Welcome to the forums!

So you bought the one advertised as needing $1,700 in parts huh?

I get the feeling I may be in the minority, but I'm gonna agree with you that this trailer can be repaired by a DIY! In fact, I made it a point to take a close look at this trailer online.

First off, its going to take more than $1,700 to do the exterior (right). Yep you could get it "running" for less, but might as well repair once.

I'm betting your looking at 3k MIMIMUM in parts. One panel & the bumper are gonna run ya 2K (+/-). I'm betting you need at least one more panel, plus an interior panel.

Then start thinking about that door. I'm guessing another 1K at least there.

Anyways, good luck. I'd love to take this project on. Be sure to read up on how exactly to install replacement panels!

As far as hours? Two hours and a sawzall will clear the mess. A weekend to fit the new panels, and a week to fix the interior. Another day to fit the bumper and lid. Note, this is a WAG. This job is probably worth a month to a summer at my house!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Out of Doors Mart has many exterior segments on its parts web site with prices. Start there for an estimate of the parts cost.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
The levels of repair:

Low - In the dry and functional
High - Like it never happened

Lots of $ in between
Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The corner, site and side-top panel, rear lower panel, side and center frame and door frame, and some C-channel would get the skin whole. For that alone I think you're looking at $4,000-$5,000 in parts. Labor, if you do it yourself and do it well, will take 3-7 days, depending on your expertise and available tools. The interior should be quicker and easier as you can be flexible in there and re-pattern some materials.

If you're handy with an English wheel, I think you could knock $2,000-2,500 off the parts cost.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Try this place for parts.
COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | WE HAVE YOUR PART!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Bedford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Welcome to the forums!

So you bought the one advertised as needing $1,700 in parts huh?

I get the feeling I may be in the minority, but I'm gonna agree with you that this trailer can be repaired by a DIY! In fact, I made it a point to take a close look at this trailer online.

First off, its going to take more than $1,700 to do the exterior (right). Yep you could get it "running" for less, but might as well repair once.

I'm betting your looking at 3k MIMIMUM in parts. One panel & the bumper are gonna run ya 2K (+/-). I'm betting you need at least one more panel, plus an interior panel.

Then start thinking about that door. I'm guessing another 1K at least there.

Anyways, good luck. I'd love to take this project on. Be sure to read up on how exactly to install replacement panels!

As far as hours? Two hours and a sawzall will clear the mess. A weekend to fit the new panels, and a week to fix the interior. Another day to fit the bumper and lid. Note, this is a WAG. This job is probably worth a month to a summer at my house!
Thanks very much for the nice reception from all of you! I've been reading here for months and enjoy the conversation and mutual support offered here.

You mentioned another repair similar at $1700 in parts? I have looked and can't find any mention of it. Where can I find that discussion? Or, links to the project. Have you seen this same damaged trailer here?

I'm very well equipped with nibblers, saws, drills, welders and good friends that will help, that have even more experience than I. Including one that can provide aircraft aluminum repair tools and expertise.

My wife is a very reluctant but very supportive partner in my ventures. I've successfully torn out a complete 7-11 store, built a new building at a new location and reinstalled everything including a 40' walk-in cooler. I'm pretty sure I can do this one with help from helpful folks from here. I just wouldn't want any surprises or my wife would shoot me for sure.

The links to parts are very helpful, as are the pricing examples. I wish I could get more details on door and window frames. But, at least I have some concept of how the parts are priced and what availablity is like.

If this works out I would be glad to provide photos and progress notes as this progresses. Wish me luck and feel free to add other comments. All are welcomed.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
Everything you are looking for is available from an A/S dealer like Out Of Doors Mart or Inland RV. You might be able to get the whole rear section and the door from the salvage yard I posted about earlier. Good luck and keep us advised on your progress if you decide to but it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I can't find the listing, but I seen this on either craigslist or ebay within the last month. I remember the seller claiming he had a parts list claiming it only needed $1,700.

I suppose I could be mistaken, but I really think it was this trailer!?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Does this trailer has a salvage title? Might be an issue if you want to sell it.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Find the parts before you buy....

Hey! Why do you have a picture of my trailer in your post?

Just Kidding! I think the first step/question is how much is this damaged trailer costing you? Just nice to know if the price is worth the work and parts costs! Sometimes the bargain costs too much when repair parts/labor are added to that bargain price! My best guess for parts would be to see if Cherokee RV Salvage in Colorado or Colaws RV Salvage in Missouri might have the same model/year trailer in stock that could supply the parts needed! The door may just need a frame. I hope you have been able to get close to this trailer and see what all the real damage consists of! Make a shopping list and then (If you buy this trailer) you'll already have parts staked out for the surgery. You might want to consider a road trip to look at any salvage parts before you buy anything! Including the trailer. Let us hear and see how you work this thru! Happy Trails, and Good Luck, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
About $30 in duct tape should keep the water out, to make it look good... That's another story!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote