Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hampden , Massachusetts
Big dent...Need fix help.

Hi!! I am looking at rescuing this '71 airstream after having tree damage, courtesy if hurricane Irene. I am a very handy person and have taken on previous camper issues, but nothing like this.

The good news..... Damage seems to be to upper panels only. Front dent has no corresponding cabnetry on the inside.
The bad news..... A/c hole is shot. Need to remove one crushed upper cabinet for repair on middle dents.

All services (water/electricity) seem intact. So, need panel repair exterior and probably a rib repair/ hole repair for a/c.

Are there any local Airstreamers that could help me with this? Paying job! I am in western MA....

Any other thoughts/suggestions??

Amanda
Attached Images

azthermal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I assume you have no insurance. My insurance company totaled out one of my AS's that had a tree damage about like yours. They totaled out another with a long scratch in the side, said the cost of repair was more than the value of the trailer. Sold it back to me and i then re sold it for more, plus the totaled out figure.

Your damage is actually very extensive and will be very expensive to repair, if even practical. Unfortunate, but true.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azthermal1 View Post
Hi!! I am looking at rescuing this '71 airstream after having tree damage, courtesy if hurricane Irene. I am a very handy person and have taken on previous camper issues, but nothing like this.

The good news..... Damage seems to be to upper panels only. Front dent has no corresponding cabnetry on the inside.
The bad news..... A/c hole is shot. Need to remove one crushed upper cabinet for repair on middle dents.

All services (water/electricity) seem intact. So, need panel repair exterior and probably a rib repair/ hole repair for a/c.

Are there any local Airstreamers that could help me with this? Paying job! I am in western MA....

Any other thoughts/suggestions??

Amanda
Ball park, about $10,000.00 to fix it, maybe even more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
From the pictures I it doesn't look like it would be worth fixing. You could buy another 71 for what it would cost to fix that one, even if you did most of the work yourself.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hampden , Massachusetts
Thanks for the info! It actually isn't mine..... Someone asked me if I wanted it and I want sure about the work involved. I guess it is a no!!! N. Thanks for the advice!!
azthermal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Looks like it would be best used as a parts donor. That's significant damage.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote