Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Best way to fix this

I have this old repair that was done before I got the trailer. I am replacing the bathroom floor and thought "now is the time to get this fixed". Any suggestions on what I should do with this. I am trying to find an alum. welder to see if they can fix this better. That is puddy and screws holding it on, not welding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6786.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	101043  

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The 2024 aluminum alloy used in the older Airstream skins is not weldable. There are weldable aluminum alloys, but this is not one of them.

A neatly done patch with rivets is probably your best bet.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Not to distract from the issue at hand but if this is at the rear corner it could be a patch done after a rear-end seperation repair. If so, I would open it up and see if it is fixed permanently or "not". They used to cut a hole to access the C-channel and add bolts or screws to the connection from shell to frame. For a top-notch repair it should have the panel replaced. Second choice is to add a patch after removing the old, and inspecting the area.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I thought I was the only one who found wood screws and putty holding an aluminum patch together...
Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
I thought I was the only one who found wood screws and putty holding an aluminum patch together...

What's nice is to see the red rust drooling over the putty. Looks like... victory!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
No it was not from separation - I currently have the entire bathroom floor removed (due to rotting wood from an unrepaired properly broken drain, you cannot repair a broken drain with superglue and elec. tape). I am looking for the link to Andy's Separation reinforcement thread. Thanks for the info on the welding though. I will repair it with rivets.

5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
Old 04-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
St. Louis , Missouri
mwells,

I'm also looking for more information on Andy's rear-end separation fix, specifically diagrams or pictures that show specifically where to weld brackets onto the frame of my 69 Sovereign. I've found the one that details out what needs to be done, but it's true that a picture is really worth a thousand words. I've searched through a bunch of threads on here but have yet to find a diagram or picture. Thanks if anyone can point me to the right thread.
BruiserWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Me too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiserWagon View Post
mwells,

I'm also looking for more information on Andy's rear-end separation fix, specifically diagrams or pictures that show specifically where to weld brackets onto the frame of my 69 Sovereign. I've found the one that details out what needs to be done, but it's true that a picture is really worth a thousand words. I've searched through a bunch of threads on here but have yet to find a diagram or picture. Thanks if anyone can point me to the right thread.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have a '69 Sovereign, rear bath, that has the same problem. I have been looking for Andy's fix also, but have not found it yet. Found a good site at:
Airstream Trailer - Rear End Separation
but no pictures. It has a link to Andys fix, but it does not open. I need to bite the bullet and fix it right and I understand that Andy debunks the "old" elephant ears fix so when I find it I think I can follow it.
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

My understanding of "Andys fix" is that you bring it to Andy, and he fixes it.
If you just look at what is holding the rear end together it become apparent pretty quickly that there are just not enough fasteners. To increase the number of fasteners you need to add steel under the C-channel where there is none now, and add fasteners where it is possible. I added a 2" by 2" piece of angle-iron that goes from the end of the last full-length outrigger, and follows the curve of the back corner of the Safari, ending at the frame rail under the rear wall. Basically, it runs under the C-channel around each back corner, and allows you to bolt through the C-channel, plywood floor, and angle-iron (which you can weld to the frame and outrigger). This, plus adding 5/16" bolts with large fender-washers through the frame rails, floor, and C-channel where the frame rails pass under the rear wall made my Safari WAY STRONGER.
The elephant ears was never a good idea. It was a great way to gain access to the problem area, but who wants those big patches on their Airstream? Silveerhoot had a different fix in his unit: The PO had removed the rear rubrail and cut slots under where it sits so he could add bolts through the floor into the frame, and tighten them with an open-end wrench, then just replace the rub-rail to conceal the repair. Neater, but still not enough to keep it together forever.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
Old 07-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
[QUOTE=VIKING;870321]My understanding of "Andys fix" is that you bring it to Andy, and he fixes it.

I can see the wisdom in the "Andy fix," if you are financially well fixed. For me I have to go the "I Cheap" route. (semi-retired school teacher) So I am gathering together all of the various solutions (thanks for yours) and am going to adapt them to my particular need.

It has been a long time since I took physics, but, I can not visualize how (if the shell and the floor are the source of strength, not the frame) when the frame and rear floor fail suficiently to cause the "droop" how does it cause the rear of the shell to drop enough to cause ceiling cracks and ripples in the sides over the wheel wells? It seems like the shell would not bend unless a whole lot of the floor rotted out. Ah, since physics is not my only area of ignorance, I think I'll just do what everyone says works. : - )
thanks again, bill b.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
drawing.

I will post another drawing tomorrow, when I am in my office.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I will post another drawing tomorrow, when I am in my office.

Andy
Thanks Andy...we all appreciate your help!! Could you also explain this, I thought that Rear End Separation is the sagging of the frame in the rear of the trailer. To fix this I would think I would have to force sag in the opposite direction and then reinforce the frame. From the previous comments it sounds like the fix is to add additional fasteners from the base rail to the frame which essentially would be using the shell to hold up the frame. Is this right? Thanks again.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
Thanks Andy...we all appreciate your help!! Could you also explain this, I thought that Rear End Separation is the sagging of the frame in the rear of the trailer. To fix this I would think I would have to force sag in the opposite direction and then reinforce the frame. From the previous comments it sounds like the fix is to add additional fasteners from the base rail to the frame which essentially would be using the shell to hold up the frame. Is this right? Thanks again.
The "frame" is "NOT" the problem.

Beefing up the frame, in fact, will make the matter, worse.

The problem is the manner in which the shell holds up the frame.

The drawing will clearly show you how to solve the rear end separation issues.

In addition to the drawing, one must remember to "NOT" mount anything on the rear end, "AND" to have the running gear properly balanced.

Having full or nearly full holding tanks, have many times been blamed for the problem, but in fact, it has nothing to do with the origination problems. Just an excuse, if you wish.

Andy
Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The "frame" is "NOT" the problem.

Beefing up the frame, in fact, will make the matter, worse.

The problem is the manner in which the shell holds up the frame.

The drawing will clearly show you how to solve the rear end separation issues.

In addition to the drawing, one must remember to "NOT" mount anything on the rear end, "AND" to have the running gear properly balanced.

Having full or nearly full holding tanks, have many times been blamed for the problem, but in fact, it has nothing to do with the origination problems. Just an excuse, if you wish.

Andy
Quickie drawing, not to scale.

The more bolts, the better.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hold down.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	106916  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Ok - I will try this again. How far should the U (C) channel go back towards the opening for the water heater. It was back to the part of teh larger opening for the heater but it looked like someone had taken a drill and drilled a row of holes in the U channel and broke it off. I am in the procewss of replacing that part of the U channel and would like to do it right. The last picture was of the U channel that the sheetmetal shop lost and you can see how far it went. I think it was cut off and needs to be longer. The other side only has a gap of about 4 inches. What do you folks think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6892.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	107606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6893.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	107607  

Name:	IMG_6894.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	107608  
Attached Images

5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
Ok - I will try this again. How far should the U (C) channel go back towards the opening for the water heater. It was back to the part of teh larger opening for the heater but it looked like someone had taken a drill and drilled a row of holes in the U channel and broke it off. I am in the procewss of replacing that part of the U channel and would like to do it right. The last picture was of the U channel that the sheetmetal shop lost and you can see how far it went. I think it was cut off and needs to be longer. The other side only has a gap of about 4 inches. What do you folks think.
You don't need any C-channel at the water heater opening. Mine was flattened with a hammer by the factory in 1964. If you are missing part of the curved C-channel that is not in the WH opening you will need to contact Airstream for some new material. If the C-channel is not riveted to the skin AND bolted or screwed to the floor, it's not really doing anything.

Your WH cutout looks strange. Mine's just a rectangle.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Greenville , Texas
Rear End Sag

Okay, just for the record I am in the process of cleaning up the rear end of my 1971 Soveriegn and noticed that the previous owner had filled in approx. 3/4" of silicone just above the frame to the bottom of the body. I removed this silicone and found a void. I then gently jacked up the frame and it appeared to go back into place and then drop afterIi let the jack down. The bottom of the frame has what appears to be a support brace that runs approx. 3' from the back toward the front.

The wood flooring looking from bottom appears to be in good shape. The inside is in mint condition and do not want to have to tear it out to fix. I have heard that this is sometimes caused by worn out axles, they have been ordered and willbe delivered tomorrow.

I have taken pics and tried to attach to this, however I was unsucessful.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

JKnight
JKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
I have taken pics and tried to attach to this, however I was unsucessful.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

JKnight
Photo problems are usually centred around size. Too big = no go

Have a look at these tips for posting images. You'll have them up in no time.

Don't be tempted to make them too small, I can't find my magnifying glass lately.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Photo option?

Andy,

Any way you could provide a couple of photos of what this repair looks like?
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgrowe View Post
Andy,

Any way you could provide a couple of photos of what this repair looks like?
Check out post 3 14 above.

If you do it correctly, a photo will show absolutely nothing, since nothing has been changed that can be seen.

Andy