Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Your access has a cover (like a picture frame) so for your own protection I would consult with Airstream.
Cliff

Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So I got some good information from Randy and Dan at AS Mothership. They were very helpful.

The battery door frames are solid cast and the outer skin is attached to the frame with small 1/4" screws from the inside..there are holes drilled into the cast frame.

The root cause is the flexing of the A frame which actually lifts the batteries and their boxes, particularly when a lot of WD is applied.

So the fix is to trim back the inner skin and fix the screws, which have either snapped the heads off, or have backed out. Then one should increase the blocking height under the battery boxes by 1/8" to 1/4" and strap the rear of the boxed to the floor with plumbers strapping. This will keep the boxes from moving around and putting stress on the outer frame/skin interface.

Tomorrow's project.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just got a PM from a member here, which made me realize I never closed this thread out.
Upon removing the sofa and trimming back the inner skin, just a bit, on the perimeter of the battery box, I could see the screws (or lack thereof) attaching the outer skin to the Battery door cast frame. There weren't many screws, and a couple had the heads snapped off. I drilled several holes through the inner skin and the flange of the frame and fastened with stainless self tapping screws. I added 3 - 4 screws on both sides and the top of the frame. The bottom is inaccessible, and probably unnecessary.

I removed the old sealer around the perimeter on the outside and reapplied Parbond.

After awhile, I still saw some minor small gaps develop while WD is applied. I would recommend (and I will do, one of these days) re-applying Parbond, and allowing to cure, WITH WD APPLIED. This will fill the small void and just hold the skin in that "stressed" position when WD is not applied.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote