Old 12-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
'67 Safari -Pocket Waffle

1967 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Aluminum Window Eyebrows

Howdy,

I have a 67 Safari with chronic leaks at the glass bar that no amount of Silicon seems to aleviate. Was wondering if anyone has made aluminum eyebrows for their airstream like what was once used on older models. It always seemed like a classic look to me and I am contemplating making some for my trailer. Perhaps someone with this feature on an older airstream cares to comment on how successfully they divert water. I am tired of the little drips that fall just inboard of the window sill.

Cheers, Adair

"We are all born mad...some remain so."
-Beckett
Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Be careful around the forums with the S word. Have you tried Vulkem or a seam sealer specificly designed for Aluminum coaches such as Par Bond. Do a search and you will find out more than you would want to know about sealants. And we all have made the mistake of using S@#@*^? but only the brave, ignorant or foolish will post it on the forums.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #3

1967 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Lumatic,

I am well aware of the diffent compounds you mentioned. I would use nothing but Vulkem for aluminum joints, and parbond for caulking skinny seams. But the common recommendation for caulking the glass bar head, that is the pivoting bar at the top of the tempered glass, frameless windows, remains silicon as far as I know and I have seen that in print on these forums.

Were I to fabricate and install these 'eyebrows', rest assured they would be riveted to the skin with a bed of vulkem.

Cheers, Adair

-Beckett
Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I believe Vintage Trailer Supply used to sell the 'eyebrows'...although they don't show on their website right now. Maybe worth a call if you are serious about adding them...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Adair, Here is what worked for me... It is direct from the VintageTrailerSupply.com website under windows tab for '66, '67, '68 windows. There is a highlighted section (in red) That brings up the installation instructions. If you want the whole set of instructions you can highlight them and copy/paste to your e-mail address. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
Ideas for Avoiding Leaks Many owners of 1966-68 Airstreams have noticed that their old windows leak. This is due to design limitations and is not a function of whether you have old or new glass in your windows.

After installation is complete, there are steps you might take to reduce or eliminate leaks. We offer these ideas as suggestions only. They are assembled from various sources and experienced Airstreamers will disagree about their effectiveness.
  1. Close and latch the window. You will notice a small gap beside the glass and under the glass bar. Fill this gap with sealant until the sealant can be seen flush with the glass bar. This seals a tiny gap where the glass doesn't lie flat on the rubber gasket. This is typically a gap significant enough to produce a steady drip in a hard rain or while driving in rain.
  2. Likewise, another point of entry for water is at either end of the hinge. Apply additional sealant to the ends of the hinge.
  3. To prevent leaking through the hinge, you may want to inject sealant into the moving parts of the hinge. To do so, run a bead of clear silicone sealant on the pivot point of the hinge and work it in by moving the hinge up and down. Do the same on the back side of the hinge. When doing this, you will want to open and close the hinge so that it works into the hinge evenly and the excess is expelled. After it has set, remove the excess with a razor blade. (This method should be undertaken with caution. With Types 1 or 2 windows, putting silicone sealant in the hinge may make it really hard to remove the glass bar in future repairs.)
  4. After 24 hours, spray silicone lubricant on the hinge (the same lubricant used on the rubber gaskets).
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Adair,
Sorry, I didn't quite understand your question. I guess there is a place for everything, even S@#$#*&% !!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #7

1967 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Lumatic,

No worries, thanks for chiming in so quickly with your initial response. If there are any norms to be broken by the brave, ignorent, and foolish, I am always prepared to fit the bill.

Ed,

As ever, thanks for the thorough reply. I have seen the posted instructions in the past, and followed them. For the most part, the solution worked. I struggle with only two of my windows, in driving rain, a third.

I hate to rely on an adhesive solution to what is really a design oversight, it comes from a career in architecture. Every time the windows move, It works that silicon and breaks the seal. I like to open my windows wide when I get to the trailer to work on it. I guess I was just brainstorming a more permanent solution while I listen to the drip from my window. right above my desk.

-Beckett
Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Marquette , Michigan
Great Idea!

Adair, please keep us posted as to your solution. The silicone seemed to keep my innards dry for a few months. Now all of the snow that melts with sunny days is ending up in the trailer. I am not sure if it has to do with the temperature change of if I will have to keep doing this on a bimonthly basis. Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Try here for the drip caps

Moldings & Drip Caps at RVShop.com
Old 12-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #10

1967 22' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Excellent,

It would have been quite a time investment to form all of those myself. The ones you posted are very affordable. Now I just have to decide wether or not these fit the image of my airstream. Perhaps I should order a couple and set them in place...

I will report back ultimately

Many thanks,
Adair

-Beckett
Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #11

1975 31' Sovereign
creston , Iowa
why is everyone against silicone?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
silicone does not like aluminum.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb1
why is everyone against silicone?
Silicone can and does etch aluminum, and is corrosive to it.