Old 07-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Aluminum Repair

Anyone ever try this stuff for repairing holes or tears. http://newtechnologyproducts.net/index.htm

Old 07-24-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
That looks similar to Alumaloy.

Alumaloy

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Next generation I think BUT is it any good ?
Old 07-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
Yea Yea Yea!! Does it work? I've got a small spot on my new coach that needs fixed...
Old 07-24-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Here is info from this site:

Anyone with experience??

"Through recent advancements in metallurgy, HTS-2000 is found to be the easiest, fastest, and strongest brazing rod ever to be developed! Made for all non-ferrous metals and aluminum parts, HTS-2000 is a second generation Industrial Strength Brazing Rod created from a revolutionary new formula.

Not to be confused with Alumaloy, Alumaweld, Alumarod, Durafix, Aladdin 3 in 1, or any other first generation rods, HTS-2000 is a unique stand-alone product. Comprised of nine alloys, with an elongation of 10% in 2 inches (rather than the standard 3%), HTS-2000 is 3 times more flexible and stronger than any of its competitors. Unlike first generation rods, HTS-2000 does not require special cleaning brushes. It easily penetrates past impurities that lay below the metal's surface.

When drawn over heated aluminum, HTS-2000 penetrates the aluminum oxide, creating a molecular bond that is stronger than the original commercial aluminum. Electrochemical corrosion is never a problem, because the electrode potential between HTS-2000 and aluminium is so slight. HTS-2000 joints last permanently in normal or protected environments. They will endure 10 years or longer under severe conditions. HTS-2000 joints are evaluated as permanent, corrosion resistant, and stronger than joints made by heli-arc machines and all other brazing rods tested."
Old 07-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Do you work for the company? You have a wonderful sales pitch....Ha,Ha,.....So what your saying is this stuff works well According to the Company....We're still lost ............
Old 07-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

No Way!

There is no way that I would ever try to braze that on my trailer.

WHY?

If you have ever tried to braze aluminum you would know that you have to be an expert. No amateurs allowed, really. When you heat up the aluminum there is a point that it will get to that allows the braze to take effect and I am not sure on that temperature, but in something like 2 more degrees the aluminum will liquefy and then you are left with a big hole in the aluminum,

Another reason is that your finish is going to show no matter how much expertise you have. The brazed area will not look the same as the original as it won't be flat surface anymore.

Another reason is that when you start heating your skin any stress that it had been holding will suddenly give way leaving a tear or hole.

IMHO I think replacing a skin would be far safer than using that stuff and I would never apply heat to any surface on my unit.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I am still curious about this stuff...

I read the details about the aluminum brazing product mentioned here called HTS-2000. The details say that the brazing occurs over 500 degress less than the melting point of aluminum. I am not trying to sell this stuff but I am trying to find out if it really works as advertised. If it does I want some. Below is a bit more of the advertising information that I read. So what about it? Does anyone in the forums have direct experience with this stuff or not?

Thanks,

Malcolm

The results are unquestionable. The repairs are stronger than new.
  • Requires No Flux. Metal-to-Metal Bond. 100% Metal Alloy.
  • Stronger than the Base Metal - up to 45,900 PSI.
  • Low Temperature. Between 717 and 737 Degrees Working Temperature.
  • Over 500 Degrees Below Melt Point of Aluminum.
  • Use Any Heat Source, such as propane, butane, mapp, or an oxy-acetylene torch.
  • Stores Safely and Indefinitely. Simple - Versatile - Portable.
  • Brazes all Aluminum Alloys, including zinc, magnesium, pot metal, and cast.
HTS-2000 is a "Second Generation" fluxless low-heat brazing rod for nonferrous metals. HTS-2000 will successfully join all aluminum alloys, including those that are not favorably joined by high-temperature brazing.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Still have some rods left over...

A couple of years ago (3-5) I bought some type of aluminum brazing rods at a boat show in Dallas. Try as I might, my first year in college was in mechanical design including foundry, I did not have enough success with work pieces to try this 'stuff' on my sailboat. I had a local shop use 'Tig' (I think?) welding for my aluminum fabrication parts. Maybe this new, 2nd gen. stuff is great, maybe it's a lot of ........hooey!, don't know. Caveat Emptor! But please post anyone's real testimony.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
All these products are great if you have some skill and are doing the repair flat on a horizontal plane. How about on a vertical plane where gravity tends to make the molten concoction run down?
Ernie
'58 Traveler
Old 09-01-2004, 02:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Working from the bottom is OK...

Ernie,

The sales literature had something to say about working on the bottom of something like an aluminum oil pan. They said it was better to take it off and work on it from the top but that it could be worked on in place if necessary. They did say reasonable precautions should be taken just in case something hot dripped.

I have the impression that this stuff must work something like what happens when soldering sheet metal. The solder tends to wick into the areas where the metal is hot.

I am still hoping we can find someone in these forums that has direct experience.

Malcolm