Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1963 26' Overlander
Julian , North Carolina
Airstream Blasphemy

I pull an interior skin on my 63 Overlander in the area of the rear bath and was amazed at the lack of craftsmenship installing the ribs. Does anyone know if it was common practice to piece ribs together in the curved area? Also there were several voids in the fiberglass insulation that also suprised me. This unit has never been apart before and I know how everyone goes on about the quality of workmanship and experience of the folks who originally built these things so I was taken aback by what I found. Maybe this one unit was built on a Monday by a worker who didn't make the cut and was let go on Friday.
The reason for pulling the skin was to repair floor rot that was not cause by leaking plumbing but rather (I believe) a gap between the outer shell and the banana wrap at the back below the window and under the trim. An opening of approximately 1/8" X 16" long just above the hose storage compartment allowed water to invade the interior since day one.
Has anyone else ran into similiar issues with other 7 panel models?

Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Hey, just remember that you are working on a 33 year old travel trailer....are you sure it has never been apart?

It is also possible that this Airstream had an accident during its long life and may have need some repairs, hence the splicing and maybe the insulation drooping.

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1963 26' Overlander
Julian , North Carolina
I feel reasonably confident that it's not been redone. Based on what I know of it's PO'ers. I had not found any pictures or references to this type of problem, just looking for confirmation. However no one can be sure of a 43 year piece of metal art.
Please don't misunderstand, I've bitten into bad apples before, but I still love apples.
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California

We have a 1963 Bambi, and my husband did a frame off restoration. Just about everything came apart first. He had always expected "aircraft type" craftsmanship.... it just wasn't so... just used some of the same kind of tools. Lots of parts were sorta slapped together. Part of it, we determined saved weight. He beefed up some of the things he felt were necessary. It is amazing, however, even with the less than perfect craftsmanship our Bambi was fairly sturdy before restoration!

Even if she isn't/wasn't perfect. We love our Bambi!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Noel ,
I also agree that while these airstreams are high quality units ,not all was
perfect .I notice on most all longer coaches and many areas such as the sides the aluminum is not always perfectly flat .wavy ,pulled in here or there
even in Bryan Burkharts book about airstreams ,the new coaches show
this kind of thing ,so I think this was common place really ,but still a great
wonderful trailer for sure .Ive looked at mine alot a 24ftr trdwnd 1960.
i thought this or that cannot be right ,but as I look around at others
I realize this is how they were made ,and they are 40 some years old .
So I fix or improve and accept whatever it is ,still love it ,wouldn't sell it.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Remember, it was the 60's.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
1966 22' Safari
Covington , Georgia
left over wood parts

I was going to ask a similar question. I have just started restoring the wood surfaces in my '66 Safari with Restore-a-Finish. I am amazed at how many different types of wood were used. It appears that my trailer was built using whatever they had left over. I don't believe a PO had replaced doors, etc., as all of the hinges are exactly the same and they don't appear to have ever been removed. What really made me think this was a splice of veneer along the refrigerator side, the woods don't even appear to be the same species. I have cherry and oak and birch, possibly some poplar as well. Has anyone else noticed similar conditions with their wood surfaces, or was mine built at the end of a cycle using the left-overs?

Oh, and BTW I am a newbie. Just purchased the trailer last week and am really looking forward to our first trip. I have been trying to learn as much as I can from all of you over the past several months prior to buying. I thank you all for sharing your knowlwdge.

Randy Vinson
Covington. Georgia
newurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Cool Huh?

Is this what you call an oxymoron?

1975 Trade Wind
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
More on "workmanship"

Talking to my hubby today about your original post... he said our 55 Flying Cloud has most of the curved parts in pieces... apparently that was what they did then. Hummmmmmm...

By the way, the comment on the 60's... if you can "remember" the 60's then you probably weren't there.... at least that is what I have heard.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Is this what you call an oxymoron?

1975 Trade Wind
Well I concur with all of the above. I remember the 60's... right up till about 1968... then there's this gaps, until about 1973.
I was a fine art major, what's your excuse???

Funny thing though is that I went straight from university to Ford Motor Comany. That's where I built Pinto and Maverick rust buckets.... talk about quality!

Insulation issues are a big factor as you live/work/travel in a tin can. I find the insulation of our Airstreams to leave lots to be desired.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Gotta remember a couple of things, even tho Airstreams are built using "aircraft techniques" and "aircraft" qualtiy materials doesn't mean they were built using aircraft quality personel and I am sure there has been the occasional problem with aircraft construction too. But I think that the fact that they are still on the road and very viable after 15,20,30,40, and even 50 years speaks volumes. I have seen 5 year old SOB's(and not just the low end ones either) that were literally falling apart after being used similarly to an Airstream. Also an Airstream is going to flex it is part of the nature of the beast, ever been flying and seen the wings on a jetliner going up and down? I am sure there as some wrinkles in the side panels somewhere. As far as the OP question about '75 had a layer of 3.5" paperfaced fiberglass laid over the frame from the top. Then had what appeared to be 6"? unfaced laid into the frame cavity. Based on various pictures I have seen, I think what occurs is they install the belly pan first, pack it full of unfaced, then roll the faced over the frame and install the floor, or maybe it was the install the faced, then the floor, roll the frame over and install the unfaced and the belly pan. Either way Airstreams are not known for their insulative qualities...

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
Happy Trails
2005 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
I think the thing to remember about Airstreams beyond the aircraft materials is that they are hand made. People make mistakes, but if you spend some time at the factory and get to meet and talk with the people there, you'll not find a better worker in my view. Anytime you hand make something with tens of thousands of parts, there may be some issues, but "the proof is in the pudding" as they say. And find me another trailer with half the quality as Airstream.

bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote