Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyeod View Post
I talked to the PO and there was no tear. He just put some aluminum tape over it. Dont really understand the reasoning. My guess I will have to heat it up when I get a chance and see if I can get it off.
well, PO didn't lie...that's no tear, that's a HOLE!!! good grief! Seems like we don't really look too closely at our AS until we pay the money, get them home, and then really start going over them. Me, I've decided to simply live with some of the slight dings on my '87 Excella. I rationalize that they give it character, sort of like scars on the hands and age wrinkles on a 61-year old man!
Regards,
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aside from taping the whole trailer, a fix seems needed. I doubt the tape was a perfect seal at the bottom. Water may have been running inward and pooling somewhere you can't feel. That's where rot may occur. Did the PO have it garaged? How long was the dent there? I hear it rains a lot in Alabama and I'd be nervous about where water went after it got under the tape.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1991 29' Excella
auburn , Alabama
dent

Gene it was not garaged and dont know how long the dent was there. He had replaced the carpet recently and said he had seen evidence of floor repair around the door but no other problems elsewhere. Looks like I will be doing some tearout to fix the rear so should turn up something there if I have any rot.
navyeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You could always do a plastic repair, you know the one I'm talking about don't you? Visa, Mastercard, etc

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote