Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
3 Minutes to Drill-Out a Rivet?

I spent the morning drilling out 36 solid-type rivets that secure the metal plate behind the lower foremost exterior skin containing the 7-way connector socket. It was taking quite a bit of time and so I began musing over how long it takes exactly to drill-out a rivet? I even put a stop-watch to the problem and found that it was taking me about 3 minutes each. I put in a sharper bit and found I could shave time off that number. The type of drill probably makes a difference. I was using a 3/8 inch 14.4 volt cordless Makita. A fresh battery and I was shaving a few more seconds off that time. I'll probably have a lot more rivets to drill out and so I thought somebody else might be interested in this problem too? What's your quickest time? Slowest?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
3 minutes each? it's been awhile since i've drilled a rivet out but it took about 3 seconds each with the help of a rivet removal tool Rivet Removal Tool

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
rivet removal tool

David, three seconds! I'm ordering one of those right now!

Am I the only one here still doing things the hard way?

Seriously though three seconds with one of these tools?

Still, I wonder, how fast or slow does it take without them there new fangled devices?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
David, three seconds! I just ordered one of those! Am I the only one here still doing things the hard way?!

Seriously, three seconds with one of these tools?
it's really quick, however it takes more time to figure out how to use it. i don't think there were any instructions. it took me a little trial and error before i got it right. practice if you can on a few not so noticable rivets.

the larger black piece fits just over the rivet head so you just place it there and squeeze the trigger of your drill and push and voila. you do need to set the depth of the drill bit so you don't penetrate too much. after you get it dialed in, it's superfast. i still swear it only 3 seconds although i never timed it. let us know your time

Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks David! What's your slowest time ever?

Now, on the other hand, are these devices kind of like training wheels for rivet removal?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
Thanks David! What's your slowest time ever?
longer than 3 minutes for sure. i spent a day trying to do that and then i discovered the rivet removal tool.

it's funny the link i posted above was the first one that came up on google search Rivet Removal Tool notice the price is $40.

i bought mine at aircraft spruce supply (actually drove an hour out to corona to get it because i couldn't wait) and i paid $60 RIVET REMOVAL TOOL from Aircraft Spruce

not sure why the $20 difference, they look exactly the same. you saved yourself $20 bucks by ordering through the yardstore, not to mention a whole lot of time

Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Assuming, just for fun, these devices are like training wheels for riveteers what's the world's record for hand-drilling out a solid-type rivet on an airstream? Let's say, for example, using a 1/2 electric drill! Probably over kill but surely power matters in contests of this kind?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-26-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Todd,

Something isn't right. You should be able to remove 100 rivets per hour without breaking a sweat.

The size of the drill motor doesn't matter. A 1/4" drill will work just as well as a 3/8" or 1/2" drill. It might even work better because it's easier to control.

I suspect your problem is dull drill bits. Try switching to a new, high quality split point drill bit. Titanium bits are nice, but regular HSS bits work fine, they just need to be sharpened more often.

If your bits are sharp, it shouldn't take more than a dozen revolutions of the drill to cut the head off. You should get a nearly continuous chip maybe three inches long. If you're making aluminum dust and the rivet heads are getting hot, then your drill bit is dull.

Also, look at the tip of your drill bit under a magnifying glass. The cutting edges should be sharp and the point should be centered. Sometimes there will be a buildup of aluminum right on the cutting edge. You can usually break it off with your thumbnail or the tip if an awl.

The rivet removal tools are great, wish I had one. They need sharp bits too.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
A agree that your bits are probably dull. Another thing could be the use of cheap drill bits. A poor quality bit with cut pretty well to begin with, but it will dull quickly and make life miserable. An extra couple of dollars for a good quality bit that will last several times longer than the cheap ones is money well spent.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
I picked up my bits at a local industrial bolt and fastener supply so I can't imagine the bits are the problem.

At 100 rivets per hour that's 36 seconds per rivet not using the training tool. I'd still be interested in how fast others can drill out a solid-type rivet --or how slow.

I may hold the forum record for the slowest rivet removal! At 3 minutes per rivet it took me one hour and 48 minutes to cut out 36 rivets not including breaks.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
36 seconds, that includes a nice coffee break, set up, bathroom breaks and skylarking.

I've found it easiest to set the bit on the dimple and give it 1/4 turn by hand to start the chip. Then give the drill a little juice. If you're using a sharp bit you don't need to centerpunch the rivets, just set it in the dimple by feel. This only works with split point bits, and 135 degree points are best.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Mark, these little rivet drilling secrets should out help a lot. The secrets to rivet drill-out success are in the details!

My 36 rivets at one hour and 48 minutes stretched into the entire morning. By the time I took out the stop-watch and got interested in the timing problem and speed...well I was losing overall time!

Surely I'm not the only one out there taking 3 minutes per rivet! Won't somebody else jump into this contest! The prize for slowest ever is here for the taking!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
The only time it takes me 3 minutes to drill a rivet is if the rivet starts spinning in the hole so the drill can no longer cut...or if there are access problems or something similar.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Those Nasty Spinning Rivets

Maybe that's my problem too many spinning rivets! I wondered why I was getting dizzy! Fyrzowt, what's the fastest under ideal conditions without training wheel devices?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
good bits

Buy the high speed double sided 1/8" bits in bulk packs of ten from fastenal. They work great and you get twenty sharp cutting bits (10x2) for under ten bucks.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Jayray5, what's you're drilling time using those bits?

I've noticed a good bit, pun intended, of my 3 minutes is being careful not to apply too much pressure with the drill or the bit rides to the side. That's the purpose of the training devices but I suppose the rivet masters don't use training wheels and rely more on experience. As for me I've only drilled out maybe 50 rivets...so far...

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We haven't used the rivet removal tool...but I just ordered one! If it's anything like the shaver...I'll love it! Even still, I would say we spend less than a minute per rivet w/o the tool.

Center punch > set the bit by turning by hand > drill to pop the head off > after all the heads are off > go back and punch in the shanks with a springloaded center punch. It takes longer to pull all the heads off the drill bit than to actually drill them out ~

If it's a pop rivet it even takes less time because of the hole in the middle. Steel ones take a bit longer...but a sharp bit is key. Occasionally, if you get a spinner, it may take a minute...I usually grab it with needlenose pliers to keep it from spinning...or if there are two of us, one will hold the back of the rivet with the pliers. We removed all the interior lower panels, the back window, rain gutters, door (down to metal bits to replace the screen) and are getting ready to replace the streetside panel on each of our two trailers and a friends in two weeks (30' of aluminum!) - thus the reason for ordering the tool, we'll give it a try!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It usually takes as long as a single whack with a hammer takes. I use a shaprened putty knife to lop the top of the rivet off. Only works with aluminum rivets, but it is a great time saver. When I removed the old Armstrong a/c from our Argosy, I had all the rivets off in 5 minutes flat.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
But don't you have a higher risk of scratching the skin Terry? I'd be afaid the putty knife would slip ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
But don't you have a higher risk of scratching the skin Terry?

Shari
You do, but there is little risk of anyone seeing scratches on the roof of a painted trailer.
As in all things common sense should prevail. If you're removing rivets on belly pan, roof, inner panels, it saves a bunch of time.