Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #81
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
from hero to superhero

thanks again MGM for your service. I hope we are worthy of the sacrifices being made everyday. I am flabbergasted that someone on this forum FINALLY is able to get one of the Geo. flooded AS's! I figured with all the negative energy around a flooded unit, noone would buy one, and if they did, would never expose their flank to the forum! Well done. I personally think you have made the (2nd) purchase of the decade! (the first was the bambi-and I second the idea of trying to keep it!) Please keep the forum assessed of progress/usage/smells/frustrations or lack thereof with your Georgia Flooded Airstream. Sheez, even 2air said "...go get it!..." (paraphrased). Cool. I am jealous!
Look me up if you get West-I will you if and when I go East.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #82
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
My thoughts....

I read all the threads and opinions before i bought the trailer and believe me, i thought long and hard about it....I mean even the last owner of this thing-said he wouldn't touch it.

But heres the deal. The initial clean up has been done. The trailer is clean to the naked eye, and i will tackle the rest. I have no problems pulling the interior if need be down the road. Hell, thats easy and i can do that in a matter of hours. The floor and and future problems, i will just keep my fingers crossed. I'm confortable with the risk.

I have been told everything will be up and running. So i will take her from there, when problems arise. I will do my best to solve them.

You guys see Bambi lol. So if you thought water would scare me away, you have me wrong, I called the guys in Utah a few times and inquired about their trailers that they picked up from the flood, and i feel good about things. I will keep you guys posted
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Here's the deal, as long as the trailer has dried completely, and you keep the humidity below ~50%, the mold (and there is mold) will stay dormant. That doesn't mean the dormant spores can't hurt you, it just means they won't reproduce.

At the very least, I'd pull the interior and the interior aluminum walls and remove the insulation, clean with a good anti-mold cleaner, install fresh insulation, and reinstall everything.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #84
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
My plan is to pull the interior and replace the insulation and do some extensive cleaning of the panels. I will do my best to track down whatever hidden problems arise. I have been assured that everything works in the trailer and thats enough of a start for me. I will take her from there and do my best to document all my findings and photograph everything.

as far as viking's comments...

The wrecked Bambi in my previous post was not the water damaged one. In the thread the OP says he just bought ANOTHER messed up 'stream! Some people just have ALL the nerve.
I hope it came with a jumbo-size can of Oust!
Rich the Viking

I appreciate your candor and i realize that most people wouldnt take on the projects, that i have elected to attack. But hey, to each is their own and I'm not scared away by hardwork or spending $$$$. And i'm hoping i pay more in sweat but am prepared to spend some $$$$ too. So believe me, i don't think the Georgia Trailer's are for everyone. And the Utah guys, are definately a 'little' off when they say "light" water damage.

But rest assured, no comments will take the wind out of my sails and i appreciate all the advice that everyone has given me.

I have served a few tours overseas and will be heading back that way this time next year. And All i wanna do this summer is travel and make some memories when the Army gives me a break. So sure, i have spent some of my hard earned money on some big projects.

Truth is, i enjoy long nights in a garage with a radio and a few handy friends. And if i don't get them finished, well then i will just have another reason to dream of being home.

I have alot of projects ( boats,cars, vending machines...u name it) and mabee i take on too much...But i have a habit of doing this and in the end I always end up smiling....on the water or cruising down the road.

I read the forums and i know what i'm buying and what i have bought and am quite content with the risk.

Its choice, not chance. And i'm prepared for the worse, but i'm hoping for the best.

There are worse ways to waste money....and in the end. I stopped worrying about money quite some time ago.

Its about life and living, so wish me luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Good Luck. Hope you take her out and have a blast.

BTW all of our trailers have problems, yours are just more visable.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #86
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Well, my new trailer will be delivered on wednesday. I have more money then time as lately, so the dealer that i purchased the trailer from found me a good deal to have it brought up to me.

So pending the blizzard, i should have it on wednesday. I'm excited to finally see everything in person.

All the systems checked out and everything is in working order and he sent me some new photos. The trailer looks pretty good all cleaned up and i'm hoping to go through it wth a fine comb and find any hidden problems.

I 'm going to pull some of the lower panels and see whats going on with the Insulation and behind the Alumninum.

I called the guys out in Utah to see how they cleaned up their flooded trailers and they informed that they used SERVPRO. So i will see what i find going on behind the aluminum.

To the naked eye, i have already taken steps to replace the obvious. I ordered a mattress pad and some sheets from AB Lifestyle. And have called and priced out some new cushions from JC. I may try drycleaning them, but if they don't clean up...i will break down and donate my tax return- for the $1000.oo worth of new covers for the front cushions.

Other then that, i'm just excited. Still not sure what i will do with Bambi. In all actuality i would like to keep it as a longterm project, but i'll see what happens. I have some old boats and a 69' Camaro that are waiting attention as well. So i shall take things as they come.

Anyways- here are some new pics of my Safari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	95717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3555.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	95718  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3560.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	95719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3550.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	95720  

Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #87
_

. , .
looks good...

but the proof will be in the smellin'

good idea to check the lower/inner segments, but you may not need to actually remove skin.

one could randomly cut small openings to see the pink stuff.

these HOLES could be covered with fake outlets or vents.

in fact adding inner skin VENTS might be a good thing to try for improving circulation for awhile...

these vents could be OPEN for air flow in mild seasons and covered/closed in summer/winter.

and IF u ever decide to 'ozone treat' the unit vents would allow internal wall treatment.

did they REPLACE the mattress and ALL interior foam?

the cushion covers all zip off, so that's easy to check.

did they REPACK the wheel bearings?

i'd have concern about these internally hidden mechanical bits, like brake shoes, springs and so on...

you should be able to SEE into the belly pan at the steps and around the dump plumbing...

is the title 'salvage' or have u seen/read it yet?

did you have ANY trouble insuring it with progressive for YOUR purchase/finance price?

keep us posted

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #88
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
No problems insuring it at all.

I paid half in cash, from my Bambi "repair" fund and financed the other half. No problems at all getting approved. The title is clear and should be at my door on Tuesday. The gentleman in Georgia- even got a temporary tag on it for me. So that stuff is good.

The vent idea sounds like a great plan. I may try to do that. The matress was replaced, but i'm not sure about the rest of the cushions, i know he put forth some effort to clean them. The gentleman i purchased it from was a reall nice guy, and he seemed to have some experience repairing RV's and other Insurance Auction items.

So now, i just wait and see. Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate it
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #89
_

. , .
hope it arrives UNeventfully.

were the batteries replaced? the ah, flood water would NOT have been distilled...

i'd spend a LOT of time fiddling with the electrical system BEFORE using it much...

a good multimeter and time spend checking ALL of the connections and outlets and so on,

could provide some reassurance before pulging into ac voltage for days on end...

the fridge compartment is another big place for inspecting and cleaning bits...

same with the water heater and furnace.

reads like you are dealing with a GOOD reseller,

but a lot will be learned by just taking the time to DIG into the little spaces firsthand and clean/lub and so on.

another thing thats relatively easy to remove is the gas OVEN, i'll bet there is some dried mud/crub under/behind it...

nothing really high skill, but all worth checking...
_________

some of the resto' projects have considered the 'venting' idea, so there are posts about this

but NOT a lot have actually used them.

in this case venting and passive inner wall air flow could be useful initially.

i suspect that a LOT of newer units have moisture IN the walls from occult leaks and the owners are unaware of this.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #90
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Asked about the batteries, not sure if he gave me new ones. But it will arrive with two working ones. The gentleman spent the last two weeks going over all the systems. So i will be sure to the same.

My biggest question yesterday, was about winterizing. But he assured me that the trailer is dry. I'm stationed in Indianapoils, and ony got around 6 inches of snow here, but when the weather breaks. I will be moving the trailer to Ohio.

I'm interested in looking into getting a Boondocking package, so i may swing the trailer by JC. That and to pick up the little stuff....jacking platform, airstream rug and a replacement LED light or two

I already asked about the bearings and brakes and he said he went over that stuff..again. I will have some garage time with her as well to ensure al is a go.

I will be taking the trailer and my truck to a local trailer shop to have my brakes synched and a control box installed on mine
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #91
_

. , .
IF the plumbing and tanks really are DRY...

skip the winterizing.

besides it will be FUN to see first hand what flows from the faucets when you finally DO run water through them...

baring any HUGE surprises, you'll be 'streaming soon...

which is the whole goal and reward.

you've been to j/c already, so going back for some tweaks or upgrades is a great idea.

adn their pricing for basic labor things like bearing repacks/brakes is VERY reasonable.

with the bambi on the side, you've got the option of SWAPPING some of the internal bits or appliances too...

cheers
2air'

Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #92
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
i may switch out the oven....the Safari has the burner / microwave package and to be honest....i see myself doing more with the oven then with a microwave. So i actually have been contemplating that switch.

I have come to the conclusion that it would be an easy swap? I can't imagine their being a second Gas line or anything for the oven then what would already exist for the burners.

On the topic of Bambi. I really would like to hand on to her, and if the Army keeps me busy and paying me, then i will. No regrets with anything yet, and if my finances would allow, would really love to keep bambi for my solo trips..